BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

03-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
jm1234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

Sycamore Anthracite Wood Trim - Can't Match The Color

This is on an E90 M3. The wood trim in my car was defective and when my car had a warranty issue (bad ignition module) they had to remove the trim to fix the warranty issue. When they removed the trim a small chip was knocked loose. The dealership has ordered three replacement trim pieces from Germany and all three have come back gray instead of brown like the Sycamore Anthracite Wood Trim is on the rest of my car. Is anyone else having a problem like this? I do not like the gray and don't think I want the car with gray trim.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 06:12 AM   #2
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez

If they can't match the original trim, then I think your only option is to have them replace all of the pieces in the car. It might not be the original color, but at a minimum your trim should match.
      03-26-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1234 View Post
This is on an E90 M3. The wood trim in my car was defective and when my car had a warranty issue (bad ignition module) they had to remove the trim to fix the warranty issue. When they removed the trim a small chip was knocked loose. The dealership has ordered three replacement trim pieces from Germany and all three have come back gray instead of brown like the Sycamore Anthracite Wood Trim is on the rest of my car. Is anyone else having a problem like this? I do not like the gray and don't think I want the car with gray trim.
are you sure that they are ordering sycamore anthracite? the trim you are describing sounds like the dark grey poplar. they probably have the wrong part number.

you could always have them replace it with CF leather!
      03-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
mabobe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 AW M3

I love my Sycamore Anthracite trim.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with matching the replacement. It definitely sounds like they ordered the wrong part number. I've seen many photos of the Sycamore Anth trim and none are grey in color.

Have them make sure they have the right part number and reorder again. If it still comes back wrong, then have them replace all the trim to match. It's the least they should do to fix the problem.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
jm1234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
are you sure that they are ordering sycamore anthracite? the trim you are describing sounds like the dark grey poplar. they probably have the wrong part number.
Was there a dark gray poplar available for the M3 in the US? Here in the US it's aluminum, CF, SA and titanium shadow.

They've offered a couple times to replace all the trim. I spent a lot of time picking out every detail of the car and I like what I got. They are working with me but I'm trying to gather more information.

From what they tell me there are only three pieces of the SA trim in the world and they have all three in their shop and none are the right color. That seems a bit incredible but I didn't see a lot of that trim on cars either.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

just tell them to give you CF leather
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

I have Sycamore Anthracite trim too and I would probably be in the same boat as you if it needed replacing and couldn't find a match. I love the trim and wouldn't want to switch to CF leather and I wouldn't want a non matching piece there either.

I agree with the other who said they probably ordered you the Grey Poplar which is an option in the regular 3 series. Try another dealer, perhaps the dealer doesn't want the hassel of having to order another trim part so they tell you that there are only 3 in the world, which I find hard to believe.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0