ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
TX Z4
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4

Sub in trunk

I just put a 10 inch Audiobahn in a custom box in my 04 Z4 Convert. My problem is the adjustable tray for the "extra storage room" rattles. Its the part the has to be down for the top to put down. Can that be taken out? It doesnt rattle when its in the up position, just in the down position. Has anyone taken it out?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
TX Z4
Rep

here is a pic, im talking about the part right above the box, and no thats not the finished product

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

well, you can theoretically take it out and have the top still go down/up. you would just need something to hold the switch pressed so the top will continue to work (thats what the tray does when in the down position).

ive had my tray uninstalled for a little while now so i can mount an amp and have had no issues lowering the top or raising it without the tray in there. but i temporarily taped the switch to make it think the tray is in the down position.

i would say if your box is the same height as the tray in the down position then it shouldnt be an issue. but if its higher, you could have an issue with the motor trying to go to the full down position and getting stuck.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
TX Z4
Rep

I built the box with it in the down position so I could still use the convertible top. The only reason I want to remove it is because it rattles when the sub hits. And I dont want to keep putting it the tray up and down to drop the top on the car. Has anyone else removed it or found a way to stop it from rattling? I cant be the first to put a sub in the trunk of one of these.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep

i see no reason why you couldnt remove it. like i said, ive had mine out for maybe 3-4 months and have been putting the top down recently without an issue. if your box is that small, then there shouldnt be any issues. you just have to find a way to either wire the switch so that it is constantly "in the down position" or put tape like i did to hold it there.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
TX Z4
Rep

If you dont mind me asking, what did you take yours out for? I was hoping someone had found a way to make it stop rattling before I take the tray out, but I may just have to do that. I guess it would let the amp get more air also, since it will be open to the cabin now.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep

i mounted my amp on the back wall of the trunk (basically behind the seats but in the trunk area) and needed to remove the tray to make it easier for running wires and mounting the amp.

to be honest, i dont think many have mounted subs in the trunk in an effort to conserve as much space as possible.

why not try and find out what is making it rattle yourself? put the music on, start holding the tray in different areas until the rattling stops. wherever it stops, that'll give you more of a clue on where it's coming from.

the only thing about taking the tray out, is that now your sub and amp (if you have the amp mounted like i do) are exposed through the rear window.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 04:21 PM   #8
TX Z4
Rep

Yeah I havent seen many people on here with a sub in the trunk. I would love to see some pics if anyone does have them. I have mine mostly done, I just need to finish painting it to match the body color.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 04:53 AM   #9
dyerkes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i/SMG

Garage List
2005 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Doesn't that rear shelf also serve as a part of the rain channel? The outer edges of the shelf are attached to the a cloth liner that I thought was part of the convertible top. While you can operate your roof without it, I'm not sure if your trunk will stay dry if it rains.

David

p.s. If you want to sell your rear shelf, please let me know as I have a broken tab on mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 08:26 AM   #10
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyerkes View Post
Doesn't that rear shelf also serve as a part of the rain channel? The outer edges of the shelf are attached to the a cloth liner that I thought was part of the convertible top. While you can operate your roof without it, I'm not sure if your trunk will stay dry if it rains.

David

p.s. If you want to sell your rear shelf, please let me know as I have a broken tab on mine.
im not sure which rear shelf you're referring to but the rear tray I was thinking of and I think the OP was talking about is the plastic tray that can go up and down in the trunk. That tray does not serve as a rain channel.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #11
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

oh hells no! I can barely fit a dead stripper in the trunk as is
      03-24-2009, 03:21 PM   #12
TX Z4
Rep

I think Im going to leave it in for now, and keep it in the up position until I want to put the top down. Thnx for the help though. And who wants a dead stripper? I dont use my trunk hardly anyways.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #13
strokeZ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 M3 6MT

How difficult was it to remove the tray - I have the same issue - nasty rattles when top is up and tray is down. There is no good way to quiet it up since the tray just rests (not locks) into position when down.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #14
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep

the tray is real simple. there are 4 clips (i think it was 4) on each side (on the bottom) that need to be pushed up and out. once those are out the tray comes right out.

once the tray is out though, the 2 pieces that hold the tray and connect from the shock tower to the rear wall, kind of dangle. so you may want to remove those as well.
Appreciate 0