BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

EXXEL Distributions

03-18-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Removal of Centre Console?

I tried searching for any info on how to remove the center console, but came up with nothing.

I am having my centre console around the shifter area wrapped in carbon leather VERY similar to the OEM trim offered by BMW.
Heres a link with pics of the carbon material I have been able to get a hold of.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241740

Could anyone help me or provide a link or DIY for removing the centre console in the front and also the centre console in the back (where the air vents are for the rear passengers).

Thanks a lot and I will post pics of the finished product.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95731

I'll try to find rear. It's pretty easy as I've done it myself already.
      03-19-2009, 05:12 AM   #3
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

The best advice I read when I was replacing the ashtray with the sunglasses holder was to wrap a wide flat screw driver in a tea towel and prise up the centre console at each of the mount points - there are 3 or 4 on each side. Once you've popped the first up, you can finish the rest with your hands.
      03-19-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

So is it relatively easy to remove it? I shouldn't be paying for someone to do it?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
It's actually pretty easy and you just have to be smart. Know that if you are using a metal pry tool against plastic, metal is usually going to leave a ding. There are plastic pry tools and you can improvise. I've removed a lot of panels in my time from doing stereo installs. I prefer to use my hands whenever possible and pry tools only when necessary.

Sometimes you have to improvise and look for areas where you can grab things with your fingers. I pulled the rear vents off with my fingers, that was easy and all you have to do is disconnect some wiring after you pull it off. On the center console, you should be able to grab around the shifter area and pull it up without using pry tools according to this DIY. If you didn't have I-drive, you could pull up on that pocket that replaces the knob. But people have found different ways of doing it if you search on e90post for keywords remove center console.
      03-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Ok, I had the center console remove - (front and back)

I took the 2 pieces plus the 2 ash trays or coin holders or whatever you want to call them to my upholstery guy who will be wrapping it. We have an issue...In order to wrap the door that open and close on the ashtray covers, he has to take the door off. Can anyone confirm whether it will come of or not ? BMW told me there is no way to remove the door because it is basically on a hinge that opens n closes.

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post

I took the 2 pieces plus the 2 ash trays or coin holders or whatever you want to call them to my upholstery guy who will be wrapping it. We have an issue...In order to wrap the door that open and close on the ashtray covers, he has to take the door off. Can anyone confirm whether it will come of or not ? BMW told me there is no way to remove the door because it is basically on a hinge that opens n closes.

Anyone?
The "door" on the top of the ashtray will not come off, but the trim piece on top of the ashtray will. I don't know if that makes sense...What I am saying is that the trim that you see on top of the ashtray is attached by 5 pins that latch to the plastic ashtray door. You can use a flathead screwdriver or a plastic pry tool to CAREFULLY pop the pins and remove the trim. Then you can just give them trim to your guy to upholster. This step is also part of the non-smoker package conversion, so removing the trim piece is the same.

It seems that you've already removed the ashtray from the console, so just pry the trim from the top ashtray door. Once it is upholstered you can just pop it back on.
      03-06-2012, 03:04 AM   #8
clintonyang
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330I

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedM6 View Post

Anyone?
I need to run wires from the trunk to the arm rest box, I guess the best way is to go through the rear center console, please let me know how to remove the remove the rear center console. 1st step, 2nd step.....It's better to have some pictures, the first step is important, where should I start?
many thanks
Appreciate 0