E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > An alignment, a great drive and the long path to perfection...

03-11-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
rcusick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

An alignment, a great drive and the long path to perfection...

So... warning... I am about to embark on some philosophical rambling. Feel free to ignore or comment as appropriate.

Let me start by saying, I love BMW's (as we all do). I've owned hondas, mercedes, and range rovers. I've driven volkswagens, audis, alfas, maseratis and other marques. Nothing comes close (to a BMW) in terms of the combination of driving perfection and understated, but attractive and sporty looks. Why can no other car maker get steering feel right? How does BMW continue to build the best engines in the world (Ferrari maybe excepted)? While the BMW "image" may be a bit tarnished by "d&*ks with big watches" (ok... what's wrong with big watches? and sometimes LA traffic just pisses me off.... but I digress). So many other performance brands have managed to become tarnished by guys who seem to be trying to compensate for the lack of d^%&s. BMW's just perform with class...

My e93 convertible is my third BMW. I've owned a previous generation 323 sedan and 325 convertible. Compared to those cars, the 335's engine is a marvel. While comfort, looks and "gadgetry" continue to amaze, I think BMW has severely dropped the ball with handling on the 335. As I've embarked on a long journey to improve on my car, I think BMW's problems come down to an engineering obsession with two things (which is no surprise to anyone on this forum): 1) run-flat-tires and 2) understeer.

OK... while everyone now turns away saying to themselves "not another rant on RFTs and understeer", just ask yourself, why are these problems so darn hard to fix? I'm amazed that it has taken me six months of tweaking and lots of $$'s to finally get things right. Yes... I think I've finally reached perfection... but I get ahead of myself....

RFT's

Why do engineers believe that getting rid of spare tires is so necessary? Remember when every car had a full-size spare? then we had to make way with doughnuts... Then no spare at all. I agree with the goal (save weight, money etc), but the solution just plain s%^ks - especially from a company that supposedly is dedicated to producing the ultimate driving machine.

Basically, to compensate for thick side walls on RFTs, BMW installed squishy bushings and weak tension arms, guide rods, control arms etc. I can't even begin to comment on what they may have had to do to the springs and dampers (I'm not technical). All of these parts were purposely made to flex to make up for the stiffness of the RFTs. Problem is, they compromised suspension response in the meantime. In short - one step forward, three steps back. My e93 upon purchase was excruciatingly stiff and was a MESS (i.e. jarring the steering out of my hand) over rough patches of pavement.

My solution (as was others here), was to ditch the RFTs for Michelin PS2s (non-RFTs), replace all of the bushings and suspension parts and upgrade the springs and dampers with coilovers. This was a huge pain in the a%^s and probably cost me $5-6k.

Understeer

Why again are engineers now so obsessed with our supposed "safety" and think that we can't handle a car that actually holds a line correctly? I rented a MINI about six months ago... The car is fun... but front-wheel drive and induced understeer really make the car "push" through turns. When I returned to my 335, I realized my BMW did the same thing. Compared to my previous generation 325, the car couldn't be driven hard into corners.

Again... the solution involved lots of time and $$'s. I spent countless hours adjusting my damper settings and tire pressure. Replacing the front suspension components with M3 parts introduced some negative camber. Things kept getting better... but I just couldn't achieve perfection. Until today...

The biggest mistake I kept making was going to the same alignment shop (guys I trust, but not experts). I finally figured - I've spent all this money on my suspension - the least I could do is go to an expert for an alignment. BEST $250 I ever spent.

For those in SOCAL, Darin at West End Alignment, while a bit of a pain in the ass (cash only, three hour wait, trip to Gardena), is an alignment fiend. For comparison - just picture your average guy at Big O Tires - fat, dirty uniform, coin slot staring you in the face as he checks out your tires. You are trusting your prize possession to a guy who might have the best intentions, but is barely qualified to bolt on your rims? someone who types your car model into a computer (assuming he gets your year and model right) and blindly follows stated specs? Darin is curteous, intelligent, professional, and OBSESSED with detail. While his alignment and corner balancing takes three hours and costs $250, he gets it right.

My settings in the end (forgive me if I murder this): .9 degrees negative camber in front / 1.5 degrees in back; 1/16 inch toe in in front, 1/8th inch toe-in in back.

So this leads to my "moment" driving today. After I got the car aligned (I had to take the day off work to actually do this), I decided to reward myself (and enjoy up some free time in the afternoon while the wife was out of town.. yahoo!). I drove to Malibu and took what most people believe is the best driving route in the US (Kanan Dume to PCH to Decker Canyon to Moholland). The weather wasn't great. I kept the car top up. I hit a lot of traffic on PCH. I actually was starting to get impatient and dreaded the traffic I probably was to face at 4:00 in the afternoon returning to LA.

THEN - turning off of PCH onto Decker Canyon - I reached driving nirvana....

For those that haven't been there, Decker Canyon is a road that starts at sea level and climbs gradually to 2,200 feet. Decker is two lanes with some good open stretches, but also some very perilous and sudden hair-pin turns. The views (and drops!) are amazing. On the weekend, there are tons of bikers, tourists etc clogging up a good drive. On a tuesday afternoon, there's no-one.

Back to my story - I let things loose. The thing I've always loved with my 335 is the MASSIVE torque (made even better with a Dinan Stage 3 flash). Powering up mountain roads is a blast. I love the surge against the bolsters of my seat. I love feeling the tires struggle to grip adequately. I love the power.

However, my new found love is the LACK OF UNDERSTEER. As I took each turn I could aim for the white line and actually have some confidence that I could hold the car to that line. The car seemed light. It lept out of corners. It danced.

I then proceeded to drive for 30-45 minutes more with a huge smile on my face. I was in driving nirvana. My car was great, the view was great, the music was great... everything just felt good. What an awesome afternoon.

It was a long road to reach perfection... but was it worth it. Thanks for everyone who helped... Darin at West End Alignment, Sam and Zolty at AutoTalent and Harold. Also, thanks to everyone on this forum who has provided great advice along the way.

RC
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
3lusive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW Hardtop

That story sounds absolutely orgasmic. I wish I could have an experience like that but there's no canyons around here :|. Flat Maryland!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
bknight
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M Competition

That's an awesome post - thanks for taking the time to write all the detail, it was a pleasure to read something like this on the forum!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
easyman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Its amazing what a good alignment will do for a car.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
moveswiftly
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4, 135i

Garage List
2012 335iS  [0.00]
I'm in need of a good alignment LOL.
frigging snow donuts / drifts LMAO

Gone but not forgotten: Cayman GT4, M2C, 2011 135i, E83 X3 6MT, 2016 SO M3, 2012 335iS, 2010 135i and 2006 e90 325xi
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 10:57 PM   #6
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Good stuff! I've been going to Darrin since before he had his shop, and worked in Torrance.. Since that day in 1999, I have never taken my cars anywhere else.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 11:06 PM   #7
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

I have said this a million times, Decker is the best driving road in the LA area. road quality is pretty much perfect and probably the best place to test a car off the track...

glad you enjoy your new setup!

BTW, have you ever heard of Tuna canyon? its one way and you can use the entire road and actually follow a proper line
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 11:06 PM   #8
rcusick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The drive was orgasmic. I came home with wet pants. Good thing my wife wasn't home. I don't know how I would explain that the "other girl" is my bmw.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 11:22 PM   #9
rcusick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thx for the tip on Tuna canyon. I also want to try Carbon Canyon - only because it earned enough cred to warrant a video game!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
ClayMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36, E39, E86

What tire sizes, wheels and offsets are you running?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 01:09 AM   #11
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SO

i agree with you man

darin at west end is the man

i ditched RFT and had him give me an alignment and the car handles 20x better!!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 01:44 AM   #12
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Darrin is a legend in the auto industry.

Its always a great feeling when the car is properly setup and does exactly what you want/expect. So besides the m3 bits, what set of coilovers did you go with?
      03-07-2010, 07:17 AM   #13
Alan(iX)
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayMan View Post
What tire sizes, wheels and offsets are you running?
also what brand tire and pressures ?

rft or non-rft ?

Thank you,
2007 BMW E92 335i Coupe, 6MT, space grey, black leather, dark burl, CWP, ZPP, ZSP, Comfort Access, Nav, Power Rear Sun Shade, Park Distance Control, Sirius
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #14
rcusick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Tires

Michelin PS2s - NRFTs. BMW OEM 230 wheels. 10MM spacers; so I think offsets are roughly ET 25 and ET 27.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #15
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Very nice write up, haven't read one like this in awhile. I totally agree with the RFT and no spare, i'd rather have the confidence and extra weight of a spare to continue driving home no matter how far i am from it.

Wish I had canyon roads locally(would have to head to upstate ny), only have back twisty roads, something about having trees surrounding you keeps me in check, were as having a drop/cliff, guardrail and wall of earth would seem more pleasing to push my car rather than being surrounded by trees. Would rather free fall to my death were i can think about what a great drive i was having
      03-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #16
rcusick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Non RFT

If M3's can do without a spare.... I keep some spray gook in my glove compartment, but to date, never had an issue. Meanwhile my wife - in a RR Sport - has had three flats. Go figure.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #17
Respek
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Japan Red E90 325i

Wow that's a wonderful story.

BMWs are indeed the ultimate driving machines.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 09:19 AM   #18
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

I'm going in for an alignment this week. Did the guy give an explanation how he came up with those numbers? I'm surprised there's more negative camber in the back than the front.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #19
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
couldn't you just have inflated your front tires to the same psi as your rears and gotten monster oversteer?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #20
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
I'm going in for an alignment this week. Did the guy give an explanation how he came up with those numbers? I'm surprised there's more negative camber in the back than the front.
Lots of good handling BMWs came like this. I personally have 1.9 in the front and 1.5 in the back. Also I'm running .1 degrees total front toe and .2 in the rear. As for tires I'm running 35psi in the front and 50psi in the rear. I've still got understeer but it's fine for the mountains. It's still too much for the track. I might go for the M3 bits or bigger rear sway. I really wish the balance was better for the factory though.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #21
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Did you have to get camber plates for the 1.9 in the front? Stock, I can only get about 1 degree up front, right? Any unusual wear, from the camber or vastly different inflation levels?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 11:51 PM   #22
ClayMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36, E39, E86

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
Lots of good handling BMWs came like this. I personally have 1.9 in the front and 1.5 in the back. Also I'm running .1 degrees total front toe and .2 in the rear. As for tires I'm running 35psi in the front and 50psi in the rear. I've still got understeer but it's fine for the mountains. It's still too much for the track. I might go for the M3 bits or bigger rear sway. I really wish the balance was better for the factory though.
I sure hope those are hot tire pressures you listed, otherwise... !!
Appreciate 0