E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > BMW provided Garmin Nuvi

03-09-2009, 05:06 AM   #1
Exacc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 325i

Garage List
2004 E46 325i  [0.00]
BMW provided Garmin Nuvi

Hello, when I purchased my car, it came with a Garmin Nuvi GPS device. This is the one that BMW sometimes gives in countries where the OEM Navi or IDrive is not part of the options list.

Anyway, i asked for mine not to be installed, and to be placed in the original box and given to me. i thought that I could just move it around from one car to the other...but since it is distributed to be hardwired to the car, it does not have the proper connections with the lighter power outlet, so now I am thinking of having it hardwired to the car.

Does anyone have experience using this? Is it any good?

What I don't get, is that it is hardwired, but I think it is FM modulated still...need to tune to a certain radio station to hear the voice.

It seems very nice, as it will enable bluetooth connection for my phone, and GPS of course. I can also place movies in a memory card and play it there.

The capabilities are attractive, but since it will involve a hole on my dash, it will be permanently there...and I don't see it lasting as long as my car, so I am worried that I will have a faulty outdated GPS item on my car in the long run!

Any advice from experience using this would help!

Thanks!
      03-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

you can pick up a car lighter adapter cable at just about any electronics store. Just make sure it has the same connector as your garmin (probably a mini-usb plug). Did it not come with a windshield suction mount? if not, you might be able to order one separately, or you can look into a 3rd party dash mount, like on http://www.proclipusa.com/
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 01:47 AM   #3
Exacc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 325i

Garage List
2004 E46 325i  [0.00]
Thanks for the info...will surely look into this! Its such a waste, the product is just there in the box at home. Seems like a nice item, but don't know if it will last long.

Doesn't anybody have experience in using this item?