E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Florida > Best dragstrip in FL or nearby

03-05-2009, 01:31 AM   #1
brianhn1
Slow Mo
Rep
Drives: BMW

Best dragstrip in FL or nearby

So who here is a drag junkie down in FL and GA, who can tell us which strip is the hidden gem in the Southeast? Track conditions, accessibility, weather conditions, the crowd, or whatever factors that make it or break it.

Here is a list of tracks I have complied:

Gainesville Raceway (Gainesville, FL)
Speedworld Dragway (Orlando, FL)
Palm Beach International Speedway (formerly Moroso) in Jupiter, FL
Bradenton Motorsports Park (Bradenton, FL)
Silver Dollar Raceway (Reynolds, GA)
South Georgia Motorsports Park (Adel, GA)
Atlanta Dragway (Commerce, GA 1 hour north of Atlanta)

Of course those in TN, SC, AL don't count. Just kidding. I just don't live near them to know of those.

I've been to all of them except for SGMP (which I drive past all the time to ATL), Bradenton, and Moroso. Atlanta and Gainesville are typically crowded on Test and Tune days, Atlanta is about 1k ft above sea level so times are a little slower up there, Speedworld is decent from what I remembered but I've only been there once, and Silver Dollar is decent also since it gets a nice crowd from ATL. Other than that, I haven't been out there enough to know which track is actually good, basically record worthy or not.

Happy dragging.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
johnnya1306
United_States
Rep
Drives: with reckless abandon

My vote goes to Bradenton. It may get crowded, but they have two or three TNT sessions a week. If you get there early enough you can usually make a few good passes before the lanes get crowded and the track prep goes to sh!t from losers driving through the waterbox.

At 25', with good barometric pressure and low dew point you can get DA well below sea level. Definitely record worthy, for sure!!!!

Used to go more often years ago and haven't brought the E90 there yet. I'll probably miss the good weather this season if I don't go soon, but it's harder to make it down there what with the wife and kids now. Oh well, just thought I'd put in my $0.02 while tripping down memory lane.

Thanks,
John
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
bradenton or moroso
      03-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
canrhea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Im down for a dragstrip meet, has to be central or north fl though , just let me know when
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
brianhn1
Slow Mo
Rep

I will be going down to Speedworld Orlando this Friday (March 20th) if anyone is interested. I will hopefully go along with a 135 owner.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 11:30 PM   #6
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhn1 View Post
I will be going down to Speedworld Orlando this Friday (March 20th) if anyone is interested. I will hopefully go along with a 135 owner.
a couple guys with E36 M3s are going out there from over here
      04-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #7
brianhn1
Slow Mo
Rep

Mike and I are planning to speed down to Gainesville Raceway this Wednesday, April 8th for some runs on the 1320'. Hopefully we can leave by 4:45-5pm from Jax to beat the traffic and get at the gates at around 6:30pm, when it opens. Racing starts at 7pm and we hope to get some early runs, maybe about 3-4 good ones, and leave early.

Hopefully some good race gas and good weather will get us some nice digits, better than what we got in Orlando Speedworld.

Anyone is welcome to come join us.
Appreciate 0