BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
AlienDNA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i LeMans Blue

Solo II history lesson needed: 1-series class

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone deep inside the mind of the SCCA can help me out here. I've been out of the conehead circle for two years and intend on getting back in this year with the One. Here in Ontario, the 1-series wasn't classified last year for the regional series. We're trying to figure out where to put them this year. By and large, we follow SCCA rules, with some minor variations. Right now, it seems like we're leaning toward putting the 135 in F-Stock and the 128 in D-Stock.

Can someone provide insight into why both the 128 and the 135 were placed in D-Stock in the US? Was it an acrimonious battle? No need to rehash the arguments here - if you can point me to relevant threads at SCCA forums, I'm happy (sorry, search didn't seem to pull up much for me there).

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

It stems out of the creed of "Best of (the) Breed." In an attempt to avoiding classing 12 billion cars, the Stock Advisory Committee has recommended to combine similar cars into one line or class. It helps keep things simple.

It does that penalizing the 128i owners. But in autocross, for those doing it, the weapon of choice would be a 135i.

There has been occasions where the "lesser" powered car is better for autocross. One that comes to mind is the last generation Celica, the GT was a better autocross car than the GTS. Both are classified on the same line/class,too.

HTH.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
AlienDNA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i LeMans Blue

Thanks, Matt, that makes sense. I assume the reason the 335i was put into F-Stock vs. D-Stock with the other 3-series would be because of size and weight?

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienDNA View Post
Thanks, Matt, that makes sense. I assume the reason the 335i was put into F-Stock vs. D-Stock with the other 3-series would be because of size and weight?
That is about right except it is more in the order of weight and size.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0