ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

GPS mount in spare ashtray

I wanted a clean, removeable GPS mounting solution that did not involve screwing brackets into the dash or messing with the otherwise clean lines of the interior. I decided to adapt a spare ashtray into a GPS mount, since the whole thing comes out easily. I purchased the standard gps mount pieces from gpscity.com. The RAM Mount components are high quality.

Since I don't smoke, my ashtray/storage bin is basically unused, and it has power right there at the lighter.

I purchased a spare ashtray from my dealer and screwed a GPS mounting base and arm into the bottom. I use a small Garmin i5 unit which fits easily in the space between the shifter and the dash. I believe a Nuuvi would also fit here.

Here are some assembly pics:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/album.ph...pictureid=5364

http://www.zpost.com/forums/album.ph...pictureid=5363

I had to use some nylon spacers to raise the gps base about half an inch to get the necessary clearance at the top. It fits really well now.

I decided to paint the bezel on my Garmin black so it wouldn't stand out so much in the otherwise black interior. i removed it and taped up the display and buttons. Conventional auto paint would not stick at all, so I went to gloss black plastic paint from Krylon. That looks acceptable, but not excellent. I may cover it in flat black adhesive Vinyl if I get bored.

Lastly, the Garmin can run on batteries, so I am using them at the moment. I plan to wire in a short cable to the power below the Cig lighter using a Dc-DC buck transformer to drop the 12V to 5V, 500mA. I found a tiny one online. I'll post more when that's done.

regards

rob

Last edited by blender; 03-01-2009 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: pics
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
Z4 NY
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0Si Monaco Blue

Great idea, and looks great, too. I was thinking of doing a similar thing by using an iPod cable and adapter, I could turn the ash tray into a docking cradle, charge it and play through the stereo at once. Still working on it, as I haven't been able to get the Auxiliary plug, yet. Do you find it difficult to look down, focus on the screen and then look back up quickly as you are driving? My other vehicle has a built in GPS at dash level and I am able to move from road to GPS to road very quickly. Wondering what your experience has been with the GPS down by the ash tray. Again, nice job!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

I more or less got used to the having gps down low since california temporarily outlawed windshield mounts via suction cups. I had a console mounted gps in my last car and I adapted.

rob
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
sketchy9
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Hey, I really like your idea. Can you be more specific about what parts you got from gpscity.com in order to make your mount? In looking at their RamMount inventory for the i5, I don't see the mount that you actually screwed into the ashtray. This looks like a great way to get GPS without having to attach a bunch of stuff onto the dash. Thanks!

-R
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

Update- Garmin Nuvi swap-out

I just swapped out the i5 for a Nuvi 255. It's the smaller screen model and fits the same mount perfectly. Next project is to pop the ashtray assembly out and wire in a permanent 12V to USB power source that exits through the ashtray while leaving the cig lighter intact.

Attachment 255135

Last edited by blender; 11-21-2012 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

FYI the RAM mount part numbers for gps

Attachment 255136

Last edited by blender; 11-21-2012 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #7
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Anyone do this with their Ipod yet???
Appreciate 0