ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-22-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Question about SES - headers - cat

He Ocha or Rom3n,

Okay- so I ordered the ESS software with the O2 delete so I could add headers this spring/summer. Is there any harm driving the car without the headers since my car has cats? If so, I can go ahead and order the headers now but I would prefer to do it all at once later.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Reynolds View Post
He Ocha or Rom3n,

Okay- so I ordered the ESS software with the O2 delete so I could add headers this spring/summer. Is there any harm driving the car without the headers since my car has cats? If so, I can go ahead and order the headers now but I would prefer to do it all at once later.
i know i am not ocha or roman, but i don't see a problem with it because it just deletes the the post cat 02 sensors. those don't really do anything for the car except for emission testing. i might be wrong, but i would not see a problem with it. correct me if i am wrong.
      02-23-2009, 03:53 AM   #3
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Reynolds View Post
He Ocha or Rom3n,

It is optimized for headers like the Euros, but it will not cause problems on the stock US headers.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 06:41 AM   #4
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Great. Thank you.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

It's not really as much an issue with NA cars. But I was going to say unless you came into a situation where you have very low effective octane, by either filling up with 87 or something stupid like that or somehow getting oil in your cylinders; back to the point, unless you somehow lowered your effective octane to the point where you reached the maximum retard of the tune you would start knocking (hopefully you would start limping though), sooner since you still have the cats in (which lower effective octane in the cylinder).

I'm sure they make the timing tables a little more aggressive with the tune, but not so aggressive that you would ever come across a situation where with good gas environmental conditions would force you into a knock situation with the cats.

You don't tale trips to the sun do you? If so it could be a problem.