E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Right Beemerbird, review of the 997 Turbo!

02-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Right Beemerbird, review of the 997 Turbo!

C'mon Helen, let us know how you got on! I need some vicarious supercar enjoyment this evening!
      02-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

She's probably still attached to the seat and steering wheel. Emergency services are on their way.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Yes they are currently trying to remove her sphincter from the drivers seat.
      02-21-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
was Helen testing a 997 Turbo then ? Nice
      02-21-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Don't know where to start really.........fu*king awesome!!!!

Hard to believe that it is the same make and model of car I drove last weekend tbh ie. the tiptronic version. The manual version today imo, had been driven 'properly' by it's previous owner. The engine was so much more responsive than the other one...........anyhow, had an excellent test drive over some fantastic driving roads which were ideal for the 997 T.

I have NEVER driven a petrol engined car that has so much torque low down and the power just keeps on coming and coming............ At one point in sixth gear I purposefully floored it and the revs increased and the car started to drift, but not sideways, hard to explain. Road surface was slightly damp at this point but my point being, the power of this bloody thing. I didn't even have it in sport chrono mode ffs!!

You know how you get used to driving your own car, well instinctively I dropped it into third to over take 3 cars and there was no need actually. I was overtaking in what appeared to be the time taken by a motorbike - unbelievable!!

Handling not quite as crisp as the little Cayman and felt the occasional 'dip' at the back where I know the Cayman wouldn't have done, but most importantly to me, no loss of grip. Again, this one is shod with the excellent Michelin PS2's, so those that know these tyres may agree with me - I like them. All that said about the handling comparison, I've just been reminded that I was going faster than I would have been in the Cayman because of the sheer velocity one can attain very impressive speeds in the 997 T, so yes, it does handle bloody well actually!!

Steering was beautifully balanced as on the tiptronic one I drove and plenty of informative feedback. Those adaptive sports seats are bloody excellent as well, found a perfect setting for the side bolsters - really hugged my body and fat arse lol.

The car is so friggin fast, yet civilised and easy to drive in all honesty. Still should be treated with respect though in my humble opinion as I'm sure it could frighten shitless the less experienced driver.

I won't waffle on anymore, just safe to say I am VERY impressed with that free revving, responsive, damm right awesome engine. What a buzz.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
So I do presume we will be seeing pictures of your new 997 turbo when it arrives in however long your local OPC take to prep?

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

So, did you buy it?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 02:03 AM   #8
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Nice write up Helen, is it a big enough jump over the Cayman (in everyday use) to justify the outlay ??
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 03:10 AM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Fackin' do it luv. You know you want to.
      02-22-2009, 09:51 AM   #10
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
is it a big enough jump over the Cayman (in everyday use) to justify the outlay ??
Yes and yes Mike.

I have approx. 1.5 miles of inner city driving before hitting a dual carriageway and then open country roads.

I look at it this way - could have bought a Carrera, but then I would probably have become bored, so what the hell, just cut out the middle man.

As I said previously, depends on the overall deal as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #11
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
What year is it and how much is it up for.
      02-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #12
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Carlos, I've done 350 miles this weekend lol.

One I drove yesterday was in the North West a September 2006 with 17k on the clock and a good spec. Would require new rear boots sometime soonish.

My 'local' OPC got in, only last week a May 2007 with 13k on the clock, again a good spec. which I had a go in today. Nice! This one has VERY recently had all 4 tyres replaced, and would have it's first service now. It's not even on their stock list yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #13
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Prices of the two please.
      02-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #14
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Lol - look on the Porsche website for the one in Kendal Carlos. Not saying on here.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #15
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
PM me then. I doing lots of other stuff so cant looksie.
      02-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #16
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
If it's what you want and you can afford it money doesn't matter one little bit! My mum has always told me "you could get ran over by a bus tomorrow" so do whatever makes you happy for now.

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #17
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Look forward to seeing the pics Helen, I would think a dealer would be keen to move a high end car on and replace it with something thats affordable to more people in this climate. So hopefully you`ll get a cracking deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #18
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Prices of the two please.
Why are you so interested in the price, Carl? Are you thinking of getting rid of the DXB?
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #19
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
Look forward to seeing the pics Helen, I would think a dealer would be keen to move a high end car on and replace it with something thats affordable to more people in this climate. So hopefully you`ll get a cracking deal.
Pics of what Mike.

Get two dealers both prepared to offer a good deal and it's a case of which wants to do the deal the most.

Seriously though, the one I drove 'locally' today was traded in for a new Bentley apparently! Don't know which model, but as I said to Carlos earlier in a PM, both dealers said that new car sales are down for obvious reasons and there is starting to be a slight shortage of used Porsche stock. As far as they are concerned, used prices have hit the bottom BUT are going to start to rise again because of the lack of new sales. I did enquire whether this was just the usual 'spring' rush in the trade and my local dealer smiled knowingly but said "No, not this time around, as far as they are concerned."

He was also very confident that the Cayman would sell as it's highly specced and also has the sports exhaust and short shift gear lever that I had fitted.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #20
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Pics of what Mike.

Get two dealers both prepared to offer a good deal and it's a case of which wants to do the deal the most.

Seriously though, the one I drove 'locally' today was traded in for a new Bentley apparently! Don't know which model, but as I said to Carlos earlier in a PM, both dealers said that new car sales are down for obvious reasons and there is starting to be a slight shortage of used Porsche stock. As far as they are concerned, used prices have hit the bottom BUT are going to start to rise again because of the lack of new sales. I did enquire whether this was just the usual 'spring' rush in the trade and my local dealer smiled knowingly but said "No, not this time around, as far as they are concerned."

He was also very confident that the Cayman would sell as it's highly specced and also has the sports exhaust and short shift gear lever that I had fitted.

Top Bird just make sure your happy

Can't understand why anyone would trade a 997 Turbo for a Bentley cos they is "cheap" cars !!!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #21
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Pics of what Mike.

Pics of the Turbo that you`ll end up buying.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 12:02 PM   #22
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post
Top Bird just make sure your happy

Can't understand why anyone would trade a 997 Turbo for a Bentley cos they is "cheap" cars !!!
Calvin - how could one NOT be happy eh . Need to think of a track day sometime, wouldn't you agree?

Cheap as chips.......no, not again pleeeeeeeeease lol.
Appreciate 0