E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > How do these Monkeys sell cars??

02-15-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

How do these Monkeys sell cars??

Had an easy day on Friday so just happened to be passing Soper Bmw @ Lincoln,so popped in and "enquired" about the New Z4
nice polite salesman answered all my queries once he had found me on his system and realised that i buy cars and dont tyre kick,told him what i was looking for and left quite impressed ( i have bought a couple from them before 120d and 335d )

After a lazy morning in bed today got up and told 'er indoors that we were going car shopping

So popped into Shitners @ Nottm (had a couple of cars off them in the past 530d and X5) no greeting had to help myself to coffee and after 10 mins looking at Alpinas asked the receptionist if they had any info on the new Z4? to then be told by a salesman of about 12 yrs old that they had nothing as yet as the car was not going to be launched untill the end of May so not taking orders yet and to have a look on the BMW website

After telling him that i thought the launch was the 9th of May (which it is) and that i was looking for one for then he repeated that they had no info available and sat back down to finish his Coffee . To this i smiled and left

Onto Bridgegate @ Derby

Again ignored by the "sales" team and after asking the receptionist for info was given a postcard with the launch date on .......... thanks

TBH this doesn't bother me as i find it rather funny that in these hard times these arrogant tw*ts still have their heads so far up their own a**es with the cheap suits and the sales drive of an arsewipe oh and if they worked for me they would last less than a day
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Were you dressed in your rubber gimp suit again?
      02-15-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
LOL I can certainly confirm Shitstone (oh sorry Stratstone) was Bridgegate in Derby are just awful to deal with!

I bought my E46 330Ci from there and when I had some trouble with the heated rear screen (bought it AUC with one year warranty) they refused to do anything with it!

Don't envy you in dealing with them!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Were you dressed in your rubber gimp suit again?
Its always ok at the Golf Club:finge r:
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Apathy rules then eh Calvin.

The OPC had tyre kickers in today by the looks of things but they still received attention from the sales people.

When that happens, it just makes you feel negative about the brand and company as a whole.

Maybe you have one of those faces.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Calvin, it's not just you I get it as well and hence if I find anyone at a dealership who has enthusiasm for the car I deal with them. My last BMW I brought from the finance manager at a dealership even though I brought it cash and the one before I dealt with the parts manager (much to his surprise!) I don't think he had ever sold a car.

The way I see it I know what I want to pay for a car the sales person will have to run my deal past the Sales Manager/Dealer principle so it really does not matter who you deal with and how they work the comission out is up to them and not my problem. I generally go and look and then phone and e-mail the details over to my contacts and then best deal gets the sale.

Going to buy a premium car in Guildford, Surrey is one of the most depressing things to do. I really believe they do not want to sell you a car with the exception of Audi where atleast they will talk to you!

BMW no chance, Porsche are a joke. In these dealerships I honestly believe to get a sales persons attention you would have to drive your current car through the show room window at full pelt then walk around naked. Even this would probably not be enough at Porsche as the sales team hide in an office upstairs so you never see them. I have spoken to one guy their once who said by 1yr old Z4 was worth 10 pence as a trade in for a boxster. Pathetic the lot of them.

My advise deal with anyone at the dealership from cleaner to Dealer principle who gives you the service you require.

Good luck!

Last edited by Gibbo; 02-15-2009 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Squeeze, speak to Will Dudfield at Rybrook Worcester. Cracking guy, I am sure he would be able to sort you out. PM me if you want his details.
      02-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Ha ha, I love this sort of beahaviour at a dealership, makes my job so much easier!

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
Budgie
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X1 25D M sport

Garage List
I was lucky i went direct to a mate in Bracknell so i didnt have to go in to these cocks.

I wouldnt entertain as Gibbo says any of them personally.

Appalling, id deal with a independant though as its 99% like Oli says his business so he needs the cashflow to survive.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Looking like it's a regional thing, but that is ridiculous. Never really experienced this but my local Audi dealer has a bad reputation for the young male sales staff being knobs.

Can't imagine for one minute that Calvin walks in with anything but confident body language which makes it worse that the staff make no attempt to help him.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 02:21 PM   #11
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

When I go looking at cars for myself, I am usually wearing combats/jeans, hoody and normally a bsaeball cap - I usually wander around for ten minutes with no one speaking to me. I usually have to ask. This happened when looking for an RS4, I get a different look when I turn up a couple of months later in said car - MUPPETS!

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #12
IanSmart
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320i X Drive M Sport

My experience with my local dealer is totally the opposite. Went in looking to see what sort of deal they could offer me as I was considering giving back the company car. Was met at the door just as I walked in where a chap called Peter introduced himself and asked me how he could help. Explained why I was there and he passed me on to one of the salesmen who showed me a couple of pre-reg cars that he thought might suit first of all, then looked on their system to see what they had in stock that might meet my requirements. While he went to bring a car round for me to look at Peter came and asked how the salesman was treating me and we had a natter about the state of the market at the moment. Salesman came back and we went out to the car, had a sit and play with the buttons and he explained the difference between my old 2005 318i and the current 318d and explained what the Edition model included. Went back in to talk figures and the salesman went off to see what discount he could get for me. Came back ran the finance figures by me which were within budget and asked if there was anything he could do to get me to sign there and then. Asked them to throw in 5 years free servicing as well and he went off to speak to Peter as 'we don't normally do that with such a good discount already (£3.5k off the list price). Salesman came back with Peter who sat beside me and asked if they added in the servicing would I sign today to which I replied yes. Held out his hand and the deal was done. It was only when the salesman was doing the paperwork that he said you were lucky Peter was in today as he isn't always in on Saturdays as he's got three other dealerships to look after as part of the Peter Vardy Group. It was only then the penny dropped, the chap that greeted me and made sure I was looked after was Peter Vardy himself, grandson of Reg Vardy. They guy really knows that the customer is all important when it comes to running a dealership.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #13
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanSmart View Post
My experience with my local dealer is totally the opposite. Went in looking to see what sort of deal they could offer me as I was considering giving back the company car. Was met at the door just as I walked in where a chap called Peter introduced himself and asked me how he could help. Explained why I was there and he passed me on to one of the salesmen who showed me a couple of pre-reg cars that he thought might suit first of all, then looked on their system to see what they had in stock that might meet my requirements. While he went to bring a car round for me to look at Peter came and asked how the salesman was treating me and we had a natter about the state of the market at the moment. Salesman came back and we went out to the car, had a sit and play with the buttons and he explained the difference between my old 2005 318i and the current 318d and explained what the Edition model included. Went back in to talk figures and the salesman went off to see what discount he could get for me. Came back ran the finance figures by me which were within budget and asked if there was anything he could do to get me to sign there and then. Asked them to throw in 5 years free servicing as well and he went off to speak to Peter as 'we don't normally do that with such a good discount already (£3.5k off the list price). Salesman came back with Peter who sat beside me and asked if they added in the servicing would I sign today to which I replied yes. Held out his hand and the deal was done. It was only when the salesman was doing the paperwork that he said you were lucky Peter was in today as he isn't always in on Saturdays as he's got three other dealerships to look after as part of the Peter Vardy Group. It was only then the penny dropped, the chap that greeted me and made sure I was looked after was Peter Vardy himself, grandson of Reg Vardy. They guy really knows that the customer is all important when it comes to running a dealership.
Do you think they earned your business? From your account, had it happened to me, I'd say "yes". You were treated like a customer should be. I'm curious, though, if you'd have gotten the same treatment had Mr Vardy not been there.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 12:56 AM   #14
IanSmart
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320i X Drive M Sport

In terms of service, I would say so, used them for the last 3 years for servicing on the company car and the experience has been good. Being in a service industry myself I'm quick to walk if the service isn't up to scratch.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 02:16 AM   #15
Budgie
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X1 25D M sport

Garage List
Try that down south ...spoilt brats and had it to good to long ...complacent has driven these people for to long and now they dont have the skills or ideas to turn it around.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #16
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Squeeze, speak to Will Dudfield at Rybrook Worcester. Cracking guy, I am sure he would be able to sort you out. PM me if you want his details.
Cheers numbnuts

Trouble is now i've had a work trip 120miles each way today and have been kicking the nuts off the M all day and really dont think i can get rid of it......
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #17
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Looking like it's a regional thing, but that is ridiculous. Never really experienced this but my local Audi dealer has a bad reputation for the young male sales staff being knobs.

Can't imagine for one minute that Calvin walks in with anything but confident body language which makes it worse that the staff make no attempt to help him.
Confident body language eh ??
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 12:46 PM   #18
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post
Confident body language eh ??
Absolutely Calvin......subtlety is also good.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #19
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Absolutely Calvin......subtlety is also good.
One of my best traits apparently
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #20
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanSmart View Post
Ian, that is good to hear. I use the other Edinburgh dealer and, so far, I have been very pleased with the service (from initial test drive to purchase to after sales).

I will look out for a 318d Edition around Livi