BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

02-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
Jimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i with MPE

M-DCT

Since it's talked about SO much in the general forum just wondering...

Is everyone in Canada also having the exact DCT issues everyone in the U.S. is experiencing?

I have NEVER had the 2nd gear lag but am concerned about the refusal to shift under heavy braking. I talked about this a little more out of the Canada section.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Jimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmer View Post
I'm finally going to pipe up in all these threads.

I have DCT - no M Drive / EDC or anything. Simple DCT with two buttons near the shifter, power button and ability to turn DSC fully off or fully on. No middle button - just a blank cover.

I have NEVER had the 2nd gear lag. I drive in auto on slippery days and S4 (usually) on non-slippery days. I have not experienced the refusal to shift down under heavy braking but this is the one I'm concerned about as I'm at the BMW Instructor School in April and can't have that happen on the track. I have not had this happen yet as I don't drive that way on public roads.
Pulling away from a stop light does seem a little "laggy" until rpm's get up there a bit but that's all I've noticed.

ONE TIME I came to a stop sign in auto mode and car stayed in 4th gear. It was slippery so I wasn't braking hard. Of course it wouldn't let me pull away in 4th, and wouldn't move out of 4th. I had to play with it and finally put it in reverse. It reset itself and went back into 1st. This happened only once and I've never had any other problem.

I don't know how I'm not experiencing what EVERYONE else is. Is it a M Drive problem? I might have the refusal to shift under heavy braking but don't know yet. I'm concerned about updating for my track days and making things worse...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I have that same configuration, yes. And I can reproduce the lag.

No it is not an M-Drive problem. What you need to find out is what version of PROGMAN you have. Have you ever had the software in your car updated? If not, that would explain your lack of lag since the update that was perscibed by the TSB/recall, while fixing some problems, actually made the lag worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmer View Post
Yeah, haven't had the software updated. Only had the car since October. I've got my service manager looking into it as I'm concerned about the Instructor School but he's can't find anything out (don't forget we are Canadians after all).

Are you guys pretty much 100% sure I WILL experience the refusal to shift under heavy braking? The first corner of the road-course I will be coming from approx 220km down to about 110km very quickly and will be slapping that paddle a couple gears down under heavy braking for sure. And will be passing through 4th gear. Will it just stop at 4th and not go lower or will it not shift at all out of the higher gear??

Thanks for your help guys. Without experiencing this I have no idea how dangerous it will be on the track but don't want to update if I don't need too.
Here's some of what is being said.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
Jimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

So is no one in Canada having trouble?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 11:40 PM   #4
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

I think many of us do not have DCT. Good luck and I hope your sort out your issue.
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
Alex///M
E90 - the Ultimate family hauler
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 ///M3

As much as I love technology it's the situation above that keeps my buying manuals. I wish all the folks with DCT issues lots of luck in getting their problems resolved quickly and easily. Keep us updated of your progress.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Yeah, +1 to fixing the DCT issues. It beter work like a dream for all that $$$

GL
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #7
Jimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Yeah agreed it needs to get fixed. But like I said I'm not having the issues everyone else is. I haven't been on the track yet but so far no problems except one time.
Appreciate 0