E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Having car shipped...price and how does it work? Reliable?

01-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Question Having car shipped...price and how does it work? Reliable?

I am going to have to scour the nation for the exact car I want...so I will either have to go get it...or have it shipped. Within about 1000miles I can go get it, if there is an airport close enough. Out of that, I would need it shipped.

How does it work? Whats the price? Are these things reliable? Do they drop it off at my house or do I meet them somewhere?

Also....whats peoples opinions on getting a car not test driving it? I mean, since its under warranty still, I can take it to the dealer, but whats the general thought on it? I mean, I have drove the cars, just not exactly what I wanted.

Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

My co-worker purchased a car from Virginia and had it trucked to Niagara Falls it cost a couple hundred bucks. We drove down and picked it up. No problems as it was a CPO.

If you do a private sale I persoanlly would want to drive it however with CPO you know it certified and you have warranty.
That being said if you get private with factory warranty you still have some piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
abcommercial
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

I've done both at least once. How to handle depends on circumstances, such as price, miles, warranty. For example, a CPO from a dealer with low miles is going to be a fairly safe bet because it had to be in a certain condition to begin with to be certifiable and even if neglected, a low-mile car probably won't have too much damage.

I bought an older Nissan truck on eBay and took a red eye flight from Houston to Atlanta to pick it up. I talked to seller on phone about condition to satisfy myself it was in good condition (no accidents, fully disclosed as a smoker car, had records, etc.)

I transferred a lease on a 2007 Audi and had it shipped to Dallas. It was about $600 to ship. There are plenty of transport companies you can find online, or just ask a dealer you trust for a referral.

I sold a 2002 Audi on eBay and the buyer paid $100 for an independent inspector to come look at the car before he flew down to get it.

I sold a 2003 VW on eBay and the son flew down to look at it personally before driving it back to Arkansas.

Just to give you some ideas.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
iqwertyi
Rep
Drives: E90

Avoid Town & Country Auto Transport AT ALL COST!!!

My brother went with Ameri Freight, which had really good reviews online.
Unfortunately, they sub contract their work and we happen to get Town & Country Auto Transport.

He was transporting his car from San Diego to Miami. He got quoted ~$800 and 5 working days. Their truck broke down half way (which we can understand), the problem was when they stopped responding to our calls on the status. It took us ONE MONTH to eventually get the car here AND WITH A BROKEN WINDOW!!!

They said they would take care of it. Which as I recall we never saw the check.
Reported them to BBB and took it as lesson learned.

Just trying to pass the word so no one else suffers like we did.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Shopping for my car, I was presented with several options for delivery of a car at another dealership:

1) Dealer would have it flatbedded - Dealer picked up cost.(this is preferable)
2) Dealer would have it flattbedded- A fee of about $500 would come out of my pocket (MAYBE reasonable depending on the deal you negotiate)
3) Dealer would send driver to pick it up and drive it to the dealership - Dealer paid fee. (i'd avoid this at all costs)
4) Order the car from the BMW Catalog. I did this once. It's sent via UPS, unassembled and comes in about 8-10 large boxes, and one large sack of bolts, screws and 2 allen-wrenches. They give you instructions, similiar to what you'd get at IKEA. (Some people love this, but it's not my cup of tea)

Either way...good luck!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep
Drives: carefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
I was presented with several options for delivery of a car at another dealership:
Not anymore with the sh*t me and you put the dealers through.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
Shopping for my car, I was presented with several options for delivery of a car at another dealership:

1) Dealer would have it flatbedded - Dealer picked up cost.(this is preferable)
2) Dealer would have it flattbedded- A fee of about $500 would come out of my pocket (MAYBE reasonable depending on the deal you negotiate)
3) Dealer would send driver to pick it up and drive it to the dealership - Dealer paid fee. (i'd avoid this at all costs)
4) Order the car from the BMW Catalog. I did this once. It's sent via UPS, unassembled and comes in about 8-10 large boxes, and one large sack of bolts, screws and 2 allen-wrenches. They give you instructions, similiar to what you'd get at IKEA. (Some people love this, but it's not my cup of tea)

Either way...good luck!!!
The problem with option 4 is, the instructions are either written in German or translated by a Japanese.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 07:20 AM   #8
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll talk to the dealer I get it from an see who they might recommend. I'm just iffy on the deal though. Like if they break a window do they have insurance on it?

Also, do they bring the car to my house or do I go meet them somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #9
babino
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3 Comp

Garage List
2021 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
I'm in the middle of waiting for a car I bought sight unseen... but I did have someone local check it out for me. I got a good deal so it was worth a small risk to me. That said... the problem started once it was picked up for delivery.

I was supposed to have my car on Monday or Tuesday and here it is Friday and I won't likely get it until next week. The transport company didn't know the driver had another stop to make... so once he got to the other stop HUNDREDS OF MILES IN THE WRONG DIRECTION, the truck broke down with my car in it.

Recommedations:
1. Know the exact route the driver will be taking and each stop before yours.
2. Don't risk an uncovered truck - it costs double in some instances, but your risk goes way down.
3. Get the insurance conversation out of the way before you commit to the deal.
4. Forget about your car until you see it in your driveway because you will lose a lot of sleep... if you could only see the bags under my eyes.

They should bring it right to your house if you request. Just make sure they can get the truck in and out of your neighborhood. Good luck.
Appreciate 0