BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

01-27-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Had to add oil, now it's too highe??

So last week my oil level dropped from the top arrow on the meter to just 1/2 the way down to the mid-level line. My M3 oil level dropps to that amount about every 2-3,000 miles I've noticed so far and have 6700 total so I only had to add 1/2 liter of oil a while back to get the oil level back up to the top-arrow oil level.

So I added that 1/2 liter and drove it a few times this last week and the oil level never updated back up to the top arrow line. So I read through the manual and it says to add no less than a 1/2 liter or it won't get a reliable reading, did the sit level and let the engine warm up, did also the 2 second computer push on the left stick to get an oil reading and still was allways at the same level as before I added the 1/2 liter. So I added another 1/2 liter. Now it shot all the way up the the Max line and displays "Max" next to the oil level bar and it is fully lit.

So now It's obvious I added a little too much but this electronic gauge is not accurate then and misleading.
Now with pretty much a 1/2 liter of oil too much, is that enough to damage the engine? It'll slowely burn off but how much of a tolerance can the engine take? Any inputs??
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

so your entire bar is lit, correct?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 02:44 AM   #3
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep
Drives: jet black e92 m3

Don't know what to tell you man. If you weren't 100% comfortable and knowledgeable doing this, maybe you shouldn't have.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 04:22 AM   #4
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

It depends on how full it really is. If you really want to be safe, take it to the dealer and have them drain the thing and start over. You really have to be slow about adding oil because the gauge tolerances are really crappy.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 05:52 AM   #5
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Well I wouldn't say I'm not comfortable adding oil. This is the second time the oil has dropped 1/4 down the digital meter bar. The manual clearly explains to add 1/2 liter at a time which is what I did but knowing that the guage is sometimes not 100% accurate, it fooled me into thinking that the 1/2 liter I had added as instructed may not have been enough.

Anyway, got off the phone with BMW here a short while ago and I told them exactly what happened. They said if I actually added way to much oil then a "oil level to high" message would be shown but since it shows just "max" then it's ok. Just don't add any more as it's topped up. The tech. explained that 1/2 liters should be added at a time so the engine can register the increase in oil and needs time to settle. And I had told him that after adding oil the first time, the car sat in the garage for a few days so had plenty of time to cool and settle for an accurate reading. He said it's been known to be slightly off so the tolerance is there for expansion. Anyway, if the oil is at the "max" or top of the bar as mine is, their telling me should be ok. Thanks for your inputs fella's.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 06:01 AM   #6
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Well I wouldn't say I'm not comfortable adding oil. This is the second time the oil has dropped 1/4 down the digital meter bar. The manual clearly explains to add 1/2 liter at a time which is what I did but knowing that the guage is sometimes not 100% accurate, it fooled me into thinking that the 1/2 liter I had added as instructed may not have been enough.

Anyway, got off the phone with BMW here a short while ago and I told them exactly what happened. They said if I actually added way to much oil then a "oil level to high" message would be shown but since it shows just "max" then it's ok. Just don't add any more as it's topped up. The tech. explained that 1/2 liters should be added at a time so the engine can register the increase in oil and needs time to settle. And I had told him that after adding oil the first time, the car sat in the garage for a few days so had plenty of time to cool and settle for an accurate reading. He said it's been known to be slightly off so the tolerance is there for expansion. Anyway, if the oil is at the "max" or top of the bar as mine is, their telling me should be ok. Thanks for your inputs fella's.
Sounds like you're good!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Just add the Qt when the car tells you and avoid all this trouble.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 12:32 AM   #8
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

yep, I just read on another post earlier about how one guy after changing oil/filter, put in 8.8liters like the book says, drove it around, let it settle and it still did not go up to the upper limit until a few drives later in the week then it finally registered correctly. I guess next time is just add the qrt or 1/2 liter as indicated and let it settle and give the system some time to measure it. I guess it's not just a matter of one drive to running temperature to get a good reading.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 01:52 AM   #9
M3Lunatic
Penn-Dot's Most Wanted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 IB E92 M3,2001 CB E46 M3

That happened to me three times when i added oil . oil level at Max.
I jacked the car up everytime it happened and unscrewed the drain bolt and let the oil pour out for 4 seconds counting to four and not real fast put the bolt back in . gets a little messy if you dont have a bucket under it and rubber gloves. that did the trick everytime . oil level OK right at the correct top level on the gauge.
Try it and take it for a 20 min drive . that should fix it.
Appreciate 0