E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Finally Porscha! can keep up!

01-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Finally Porscha! can keep up!

Finally decided to change car despite it being chav I've gone for an MR2 turbo!

Totally changed my mind on turbo cats - love it can't wait to pick it up on wednesday yay!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
cats?

congrats on the new motor. Dont fricking crash it... There not very safe.
      01-25-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
CrimsonRedE93
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue E93 330d+

Garage List
Old shape or new shape ??

I must admit I prefer the old shape MR2 with the more rounded look, the back of the new shape does nothing for me.

If you haven't driven one watch it in the wet the back end can have a mind of it's own under acceleration and braking
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #4
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Carl and red probably less "safe" than E36 M3 lol

Will be good til I get used to it!

As for cats I meant cars I do not put a turbo on cats before any animal rights people report me

It's a mk.2 not the mk.3, 1994 on an L.

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I went out in one last summer was nigh on 300 pony. Went well but felt so dangerous.
      01-25-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
I went out in one last summer was nigh on 300 pony. Went well but felt so dangerous.
I used to drive one a lot and also had a Nissan 200SX turbo. In the days before traction control and driver aids you quickly learnt to show some respect for the car and the road conditions. Great fun if you know how to handle it and no more dangerous than any powerful car. Just doesn't correct your driving for you like our modern BMWs.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

What happened to the White 5 series Porscha? Have I missed something?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #8
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Bless you - keep up with "what" though!!!!?? Only kidding, they are pretty good cars, i had one in that shape when they first came out - love the driving position. The Turbo's were only imports weren't they??? Just make sure you check it out properly as its bound to have been thrashed. Good luck.
      01-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
What happened to the White 5 series Porscha? Have I missed something?
She doesn't half get through some cars mate, couldn't be doing with that eh?
      01-25-2009, 09:28 PM   #10
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
Bless you - keep up with "what" though!!!!??
You think she might have the DXB licked???!!!

Good luck with the MR2 Porscha...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 02:17 AM   #11
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks all!

Actual figures wise it fares extremely well for a car made in 1994 personally I think mine is about as quick as the Boxster S I had hoping there will be one up for a play just to find out MR2 feels quicker though I imagine about same.Would be interested to find out what power it has actually got because lets face it, how many are 100% standard?

The driving position is great I agree, yes it's an import and all turbos are got to get reg plates that fit propely!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 03:05 AM   #12
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
They are fairly quick but i'd have my doubts that it would keep up with a Boxster S to be honest. Mine was N/A and did go well but you need to be on your game around the twistys as they can be quite tail happy - esp in "moist" conditions!! I also personally hate square number plates - look so ugly and immediately give the game away that its an import etc. Good luck with it and again be careful and do your checks properly before buying it.
      01-26-2009, 07:23 AM   #13
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
Thanks all!

Actual figures wise it fares extremely well for a car made in 1994 personally I think mine is about as quick as the Boxster S I had hoping there will be one up for a play just to find out MR2 feels quicker though I imagine about same.Would be interested to find out what power it has actually got because lets face it, how many are 100% standard?

The driving position is great I agree, yes it's an import and all turbos are got to get reg plates that fit propely!
Nic, when you realise that you are doing 0-62 KM/H in 5 sec you may think differently

Defo won't be as quick as a Boxster - maybe on paper, but the Porsche chassis would leave it for dead. It will also be 'well used' and thrashed so all the bushes, shocks, etc will be tired and lost efficiency. The engine will be many bhp down on where it should be as well at that age, unless it has been re-built to a high standard.

Prob won't have any pre-UK service history as this usually gets discarded for some reason, although the strict Jap emmisions standards means they usually get serviced at least twice as regularly as the UK equivalent cars.

If you shop around you will get proper grey-import insurance reasonably priced but will always be more expensive than a UK standard model. We had an MR2 roadster (latest shape) that was an import, although on those models there is absolutely no difference between the import model and the UK model except for the speedo markings. All reg plates were standard Uk size - even had the holder in the rear light units to enable the fog lamp to be fitted (Jap cars dont have rear fogs hence the bolt on ones you see on most imports, needed to pass the SVA test).

Make sure you have the SVA certificate as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 07:33 AM   #14
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
They are fairly quick but i'd have my doubts that it would keep up with a Boxster S to be honest. Mine was N/A and did go well but you need to be on your game around the twistys as they can be quite tail happy - esp in "moist" conditions!! I also personally hate square number plates - look so ugly and immediately give the game away that its an import etc. Good luck with it and again be careful and do your checks properly before buying it.
Having owned a 986 Boxster S it certainly FELT as quick not saying it is though and point to point Boxster would be much quicker I don't doubt it.

Yeah they are faily tail happy, one of those cars that when it goes it goes lol!

So whats wrong with owning an import at least it'll be obvious it;s not a measly n/a only joking! I'm getting proper import plates to fit not UK ones.

I've took it for a good drive and it went well, someone I know who knows all things jap cars has took a look and assures me it;s a good 'un not to mention garage has gave me a 6 month parts and labour warranty, absolute result on that

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 07:42 AM   #15
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
Nic, when you realise that you are doing 0-62 KM/H in 5 sec you may think differently

Defo won't be as quick as a Boxster - maybe on paper, but the Porsche chassis would leave it for dead. It will also be 'well used' and thrashed so all the bushes, shocks, etc will be tired and lost efficiency. The engine will be many bhp down on where it should be as well at that age, unless it has been re-built to a high standard.

Prob won't have any pre-UK service history as this usually gets discarded for some reason, although the strict Jap emmisions standards means they usually get serviced at least twice as regularly as the UK equivalent cars.

If you shop around you will get proper grey-import insurance reasonably priced but will always be more expensive than a UK standard model. We had an MR2 roadster (latest shape) that was an import, although on those models there is absolutely no difference between the import model and the UK model except for the speedo markings. All reg plates were standard Uk size - even had the holder in the rear light units to enable the fog lamp to be fitted (Jap cars dont have rear fogs hence the bolt on ones you see on most imports, needed to pass the SVA test).

Make sure you have the SVA certificate as well.
ROFL! I can assure you speedo is in MPH lol! Trust me the engine won't be down on much I was very pleasantly surprised and my jap man took it out and knows his stuff, just how they should be.

It's probably done less mileage than most of your cars lol - 46000 miles!

Got my insurance really quite cheap £650 p/a not bad as I'm only 20 no ncb due to swapping and changing so much!!

My reg plate is not UK size??? Nor have I seen any imports like that either and they where the same as the MR2, too big for motorbike plates and not big enough for normal plates yeah mine has a dodgy bolt on rear fog light LOL! It has SVA.

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #16
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My reg plate is not UK size??? Nor have I seen any imports like that either and they where the same as the MR2, too big for motorbike plates and not big enough for normal plates yeah mine has a dodgy bolt on rear fog light LOL! It has SVA.
I know it won't - I said the MR2 roadster (mk III) has the same bumpers (UK or import) and hence will accept UK sized reg plates. With no bolt on fog lamps, it is difficult to tell the import ones apart from a UK one.

Your Mk II import will defo have the funny sized Jap plates.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #17
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Oh sorry was a bit confused lol yep funny Jap plates got to order some and plate makers charge more for import plates than Uk size!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 03:12 PM   #18
Budgie
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X1 25D M sport

Garage List
Oh well done Nicola....i gotta say i had a original T bar model(uk non turbo).

Was great in 1990(G reg)...cant remember but i think i paid 20k for it....was red,leather perforate style and air cond was massive extra price lol.

Used to go like stink and was very reliable in the 2 years i had it.

As for the import ones...they look a mess ..but thats just my opinion and well if i still had it now it would be 19 years old and well passed it best.

Still you had to make a start and its not all that bad.Warranty wise ...im not sure the things would be easy covered???.

Suck it and see and btw ...my gf back then said to me one night...id have to be a circus act to perform in here....lol...please bare that in mind when christening it lol..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #19
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie View Post
...my gf back then said to me one night...Suck it and see and btw id have to be a circus act to perform in here....lol...please bare that in mind when christening it lol..
Good point Budgie, always the bonnet though.
      01-26-2009, 03:56 PM   #20
Budgie
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X1 25D M sport

Garage List
Bonnets too cold mate lol...moan moan moan ...thats all i got with that car...solution...

Got rid of the bird and got more of the whore type lol.

ARRRRR the memories
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #21
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
...my gf back then said to me one night...id have to be a circus act to perform in here....lol...please bare that in mind when christening it lol..
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
always the bonnet though.
Quote:
Bonnets too cold mate lol...moan moan moan ...thats all i got with that car...solution...

Got rid of the bird and got more of the whore type lol
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #22
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Oh sorry was a bit confused lol yep funny Jap plates got to order some and plate makers charge more for import plates than Uk size!
Get a 12"x6" plate.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0