BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Talking Insane Berk 135i track driving video inside!

We pieced together this really cool video of the Berk Technology 135i at the SuperLap Battle World Finals. We ran a 2:03.996 on a stock bodied, street tire car, and a "few" bolt ons. This is a good example of what you can do with your 135i street car, some hard earned coin, a bit of technical knowledge, and an addiction to track driving.

Some more info on the build can be found here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11907 - the 3 week build.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19366 - the end result.

Enjoy!

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 12:35 AM   #2
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Very nice. Thanks for posting that
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 01:52 AM   #3
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Awesome video! So is the car pretty much built up and 100% ready? Or are there a few other parts awaiting to come out?

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 05:19 AM   #4
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe TiAg

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Sweet driving man. Especially given the fact the guy in front couldn't keep it on the track! Nice.

One should love animals. They are so tasty.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 06:16 AM   #5
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Nicely done. Looks like a great track! I would love to drive there one day!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
Templedogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, Trailblazer SS, 1934 PU

Nice, great vid.
      01-22-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
Monaco35Dream
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i, 96' Talon Tsi AWD

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Nicely done. Looks like a great track! I would love to drive there one day!
I would love to drive there too, and the sad part is that track is only about an hour and a half drive from my house...problem is my girlfriend wont stop planning sh!t on our weekends lol....Great job Berk!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

opposite lock ftw! i loved the save at 2:00...

out of curiousity, at what rpm's do you upshift for the best speed? redline?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 03:16 AM   #9
J Tyler
My ride: bimmergirl84
United_States
Rep
Drives: For free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32 View Post
opposite lock ftw! i loved the save at 2:00...

out of curiousity, at what rpm's do you upshift for the best speed? redline?
No, definitely not redline, in these cars. What you want to do is look at a dyno graph of the engine, and note where the peak hp is. Then, you want to have a rough idea of what your gear spreads are; i.e., when you shift from 3rd to 4th, how far do the rpms fall? Say they fall 1k rpm for the shift; then you look at the dyno graph and place that 1000rpm window wherever it results in creating the greatest area under the hp curve.

Usually this results in an upshift point that's a few hundred rpm past the point of peak hp. On our 135i's, that point is around 6000rpm because our peak power is around 5700rpm. So, even though redline is at 7000, I shift around 6000 to maximize the amound of horsepower that gets "used".

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I would like to say a big thank-you to Berk for letting me drive the car! Berk Technology did a fantastic job preparing this car. They spent their limited budget in all the right areas to make the car fast, set it up well, and it drove like a dream. I really enjoy driving this car, because they have taken the time to figure out what the car needs to go fast and built it right. You can't just throw aftermarket parts on a car and expect it to go fast; everything has to be tuned & tested to maximize each part, and they did just that. The car is an absolute blast :roundel:

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #10
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Tyler View Post
Usually this results in an upshift point that's a few hundred rpm past the point of peak hp. On our 135i's, that point is around 6000rpm because our peak power is around 5700rpm. So, even though redline is at 7000, I shift around 6000 to maximize the amound of horsepower that gets "used".
:w00t: i had thought 6000 rpm based on dynos that i have seen, but i didn't know if that necessarily would translate into reality.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #11
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Nice video. How is your time compare to others? How much did the H&R F/R sway bars improve the handling? I am thinking about just do the KW2 coil over but not the sways and wonder how much that I will miss. Thanks.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #12
spdrcr
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise

Nice vid - just a general observation but you seem to be having to catch the oversteer quite a few times...

ps: that track looks really fun, is it in the desert somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #13
Smallbodybimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Wow. So that is what a fully tuned 135 can do... Awesome.

Here are top time attack times for this track for comparison:
http://www.timeattackforums.com/foru...k-records.html

1er does very nice... Makes me proud :biggrin:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 10:41 PM   #14
J Tyler
My ride: bimmergirl84
United_States
Rep
Drives: For free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32 View Post
:w00t: i had thought 6000 rpm based on dynos that i have seen, but i didn't know if that necessarily would translate into reality.
Yeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
Nice video. How is your time compare to others? How much did the H&R F/R sway bars improve the handling? I am thinking about just do the KW2 coil over but not the sways and wonder how much that I will miss. Thanks.
For any street car, and especially for a heavy BMW street car, 2:03 is a VERY quick time. For comparison, Steve Millen did a 2:01 in a Porsche 997 GT3 and a 2:04 in a Lotus Exige S. We're right in the middle of those two very fast cars....!!

The H&R front bar definitely helps, as it's a little stiffer than the stock one. The H&R rear bar I think may be too stiff. I want to try putting the stock rear bar back on to find out. As for matching them with KW's V-series, I think you're fine forgoing the sways and sticking to just coilovers + camber plates. If you find that to give too much oversteer (which I doubt you will unless you go to a non-staggered tire setup), then add the H&R front bar and you should be set! Like I said, it's only a little stiffer than stock, so I think you're fine keeping the stock bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr View Post
Nice vid - just a general observation but you seem to be having to catch the oversteer quite a few times...

ps: that track looks really fun, is it in the desert somewhere?
Yep; the car is too loose. The good news is, we know we can make it even faster by fixing that

The track is Buttonwillow Raceway. It's a very popular Indycar test track. It's about 150mi north of Los Angeles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallbodybimmer View Post
Wow. So that is what a fully tuned 135 can do... Awesome.

Here are top time attack times for this track for comparison:
http://www.timeattackforums.com/foru...k-records.html

1er does very nice... Makes me proud :biggrin:
I would not call our car "fully tuned"! The KW V3 is a "street" coilover, and we're on street tires, and we're near stock weight! With proper spring rates and sticky tires, we'd be quite a bit faster.

But, Berk's goal was to build a nice street car......that could embarass Porsches on the track

Thanks for the nice words everyone
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 06:03 PM   #15
Raflekt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i fully loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkTechnology View Post
We pieced together this really cool video of the Berk Technology 135i at the SuperLap Battle World Finals. We ran a 2:03.996 on a stock bodied, street tire car, and a "few" bolt ons. This is a good example of what you can do with your 135i street car, some hard earned coin, a bit of technical knowledge, and an addiction to track driving.

Some more info on the build can be found here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11907 - the 3 week build.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19366 - the end result.

Enjoy!

MODERATORS!!
I think there is some problem because those links send me to other thread

regards
      01-28-2009, 11:21 PM   #16
WeekendWarrior
I'm not as dumb as you look.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

hey what kind of in car setup are you guys using. i've been trying to get a good mount/ camera setup going and the picure on that is pretty solid quality.
      01-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #17
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarrior View Post
hey what kind of in car setup are you guys using. i've been trying to get a good mount/ camera setup going and the picure on that is pretty solid quality.
Here's exactly what we use. It's really photography equipment, not something designed for car use, but it works beautifully. It just clamps onto the harness bar. The camera is just a regular consumer entry level Mini-DV camera from Costco.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...all_Joint.html
Appreciate 0