BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-03-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
Squidbilly
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Keep tracking it?

I did my first HPDE in my 1er at Thunderhill and had a blast. I'm truly impressed with the power and handling after getting a chance to really push it. I've already enrolled for a couple of driving schools and plan on making track days a regular thing.

A few things happened at the track that makes me apprehensive about continuing to use the 1er (my baby!). Being a beginner, I was put in the limited group with other beginners--including some with more balls than brains that were driving way beyond their abilities. Over the course of the day, a few guys spun their cars in front of me. There was enough room to avoid them but it was scary nonetheless.

I also had several veteran drivers ask me if money was no object, or if I was planning on getting a dedicated track car. I think they were basically telling me that something could eventually happen on the track and I should be financially and mentally prepared. The day was also filled with debris flags, and minor accidents. Nonetheless, I loved it.

I'm trying to figure out what to do moving forward:
1. Continue doing HPDE's with the 1 --and face the consequences if something happens
2. Buy a 'cheap' track day car, like a Miata or E36 M3, gut it, add safety gear, and not worry if something happens to it
3. Rent track cars, like 'Rent-a-Miata', until I figure it out

Perhaps I'm being overly paranoid about the safety of HPDEs and my 1er......thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
mbrunner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911/Lotus Exige S

Those are all real risks that you have voiced and you have to take them into consideration when taking your car to the track. The question is, can you afford it if something goes wrong? That could be from an accident or even a mechanical failure. Even if you can afford it, is that worth the risk for you?

Keep in mind your insurance is pretty much useless if it happens on the track, as well as your warranty coverage. Some tracks offer 1 day insurance coverage at a price and that may be worth looking into.

Most of the time, it is probably better to get a cheap track day car like a miata or an s2000 and you will have just as much fun.

If it were me, I would probably take the risk. I already have done so in a few other 30k+ cars. You can only do your part to drive well within your limits, if someone else is a knob, just remember you have no control over anything that happens out there except what you do.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Alow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, F36 430i GC

Another thing to consider is: how long will you be doing track days for?

I was just like you a couple of years ago. After 1 HPDE, I was hooked and I wanted to buy another car get it all setup etc etc (i.e., $$$$$). A more experienced friend told me that before I take a big plunge, make sure I am in it for the long run. Otherwise, its a lot of wasted $$.

If you stick to HPDEs done by safe-minded organizers, and you are humble about your abilities and don't try to be a hero the chances of getting into an accident are smaller. There is still a risk however, and its up to you to realize if you want to take it. But if you do a bit more you might realize if it was just the adrenaline of something new or something you want to do long term.

My $0.02
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I know that most local DEs that I've been to will black flag those with more bravado than brains very quickly. Any decent instructor can see a problem student, correct, and if all else fails, have them pit out. It's supposed to be a learning experience, not a means to get in front of that Ferrari.

From the sounds of it, you were with a looser club.. they do exist. I would suggest that you attend a BMW CCA HPDE with your local chapter. They are usually very competent and extremely safe events.

Accidents happen, but from the sounds of it, there were quite a few incidences, and that is not normal. -The day was also filled with debris flags, and minor accidents.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
Squidbilly
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that I need to assess the risk I'm willing to take and my level of commitment before proceeding further. Half the reason I got the 1 is to do HPDE's, but I didn't fully appreciate the potential risk until I actually did one. I went to racing school years ago and used their cars and instructors were in every car on the track. It was much more contolled and I wasn't really concerned about anything happening to their car. Now that it's my baby, it's a different story!

I probably gave the wrong impression of the club--the spins, debris flags, and minor accidents were happening to all levels of drivers, including the open (full race) group. The club put on a first class event and they did a good job of black flagging the problem drivers. However, compared to other clubs I've visited (as a spectator), they didn't have a big focus on training beginners. We got limited instructor time and it took a few sessions for some of the bad drivers to get an instructor on board to help tame them. I think there will always be over-zealous beginners; this was a classic case of 4 idiots runing the experience for the other 16 drivers until the event organizers stepped in. I don't fault the club --it was probably just not a good one for a newbie to start with.

My next three driving events are going to be schools (including the BMW PDS school in SC). I figure I should get my skills up to par and decide if I'm dedicated enough to warrant getting a dedicated track car (or perhaps continue using the 1).
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
Cris
What's FWD?
Rep
Drives: Former E82, current E39

Another alternative to a dedicated track day car is to get a shifter cart. Most professional drivers start by driving shifter carts. Those things are mean, even with a 200cc motor.

Benefits of a shifter cart:
- Inexpensive compared to maintaining a track car
- Enhances your vehicle control/maneuver skills
- Great adrenaline rush

Once you're more experienced, you may consider 1) get a bigger motor on your cart, or 2) move up to a small track car.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
Squidbilly
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
Another alternative to a dedicated track day car is to get a shifter cart. Most professional drivers start by driving shifter carts. Those things are mean, even with a 200cc motor.

Benefits of a shifter cart:
- Inexpensive compared to maintaining a track car
- Enhances your vehicle control/maneuver skills
- Great adrenaline rush

Once you're more experienced, you may consider 1) get a bigger motor on your cart, or 2) move up to a small track car.
I'll have to look into the shifter cart option. I'm wondering if they have as many tracks and track days available in northern CA as regular cars.

I was thinking about an econo Miata build. Take a $12OO beater, strip out the interior, add roll bar, racing seat, harnesses, etc; and put a killer suspension/wheel/tire combo on it. I'd get as much used stuff as possible from eBay and Craigslist to keep the cost down....(my goal is max $4k to $5k).

I'll have to see how I feel after the schools though. It's a big leap to get another car, but one nasty mishap in the 1er at the track could cost more than a cheap Miata racer.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
From the sounds of it, you were with a looser club.. they do exist. I would suggest that you attend a BMW CCA HPDE with your local chapter. They are usually very competent and extremely safe events.
+1 - go with the local BMW club, the chapters have very good reputations and are more safety-minded than many other clubs.

A dedicated track car will be very very expensive - to buy, to modify and especially to operate. You will need a tow vehicle, all the safety gear, lots of gas expenditure, tires etc. And to justify all these expenses you will need to do many events a year, which of course means more money spent.

As others have said, if you go with a safe club which favors driver development (not just a track rental) you should be fine - especially seeing as you are the one holding the steering wheel and making the decisions. A wise decision can be to pit for a minute or two if there's too much traffic, or even go home if it's too scary.

In addition to that, there are a few insurance companies around that do HPDE insurance in 1 day increments - if you are worried, then definitely take the plunge and pay the $200-300 per day or so. It will still be cheaper than repairing your 135i out of pocket, or operating a dedicated track car.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0