BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-15-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
tentacle9
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Unhappy Can't decide on colour combination!

Hi all, I have been looking at buying a 1coupe for a couple of months now and my spec choices have gotten longer and longer as time goes on until I am now pretty clear on what I want toy wise on a 123D Msport ...but I am going round and round in circles with the colour combination - just can't decide! really like AW but think black leather is a bit boring, yet the red and terra are scary. Would look good with Silver IMO...sort of retro, but i don't fancy Silver. Currently thinking I'll go for SG with Lemon leather and the standard Msport wheels (17"ers) - the 261s look nice but the roads around me are awful and I am tired of getting bounced around (I have 18"ers on my E46). Actually think the smaller wheels look good on with the darker paint job....The AW looks so good though...maybe just bite the bullet and have AW with black leather and the bigger wheels .....could I actually have AW with Lemon? Would that look terrible?

I am amazed at how obsessed I am with getting this right! Have literally been spending hrs each day on this discision! need to get the decision made so I can move on! Has anybody else found this as difficult? I have never bought a brand new car before and I'm finding it really difficult to make the decision based on photos of US cars (1ers seem to be a lot more popular over there) and my imagination! If anyone has any pictures of a 123D Msport in SG with lemon, shadowline trim and 17" wheels that would be a big help...failing that I'll just get a blue one, no maybe black! Aaaaaaaaah!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
NoDoz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi

I know just how you feel. I spend hours on the internet searching for pics and reading pro and cons on threads. I stare at every passing BMW and look at their interior every chance I get. Sometimes my g/f will be talking to me and I zone out because I am constantly weighing options vrs price and color combos. Its endless.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 09:35 PM   #3
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe TiAg

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
I reckon AW with lemon would look dodgy. I chose silver with black as I am a lazy bastard and silver always looks better when dirty IMO. Over here you get the 261's with the 135i as they are std fare with the car (comes with M pack).
How I miss Sussex roads...

One should love animals. They are so tasty.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 03:31 AM   #4
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Seriously, the red is not scary in the flesh. Nothing compliments AW better IMO.

The red is actually quite tame as the dash is black.

Black exterior and either red or lemon were my alternatives.

White and lemon.... eewwww nasty!

You should have seen my first S2000 that had a full red interior including the dash!

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 03:34 AM   #5
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

What's so scary about red or terra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentacle9 View Post
Hi all, I have been looking at buying a 1coupe for a couple of months now and my spec choices have gotten longer and longer as time goes on until I am now pretty clear on what I want toy wise on a 123D Msport ...but I am going round and round in circles with the colour combination - just can't decide! really like AW but think black leather is a bit boring, yet the red and terra are scary. Would look good with Silver IMO...sort of retro, but i don't fancy Silver. Currently thinking I'll go for SG with Lemon leather and the standard Msport wheels (17"ers) - the 261s look nice but the roads around me are awful and I am tired of getting bounced around (I have 18"ers on my E46). Actually think the smaller wheels look good on with the darker paint job....The AW looks so good though...maybe just bite the bullet and have AW with black leather and the bigger wheels .....could I actually have AW with Lemon? Would that look terrible?

I am amazed at how obsessed I am with getting this right! Have literally been spending hrs each day on this discision! need to get the decision made so I can move on! Has anybody else found this as difficult? I have never bought a brand new car before and I'm finding it really difficult to make the decision based on photos of US cars (1ers seem to be a lot more popular over there) and my imagination! If anyone has any pictures of a 123D Msport in SG with lemon, shadowline trim and 17" wheels that would be a big help...failing that I'll just get a blue one, no maybe black! Aaaaaaaaah!
Brown is always the most classic color for leather because it's the most "natural" color for animal hide. You simply can't go wrong with it. Looks great with LeMans Blue, Sapphire Black, Sedona Red and, of course, AW. A very safe, very classy choice. Lots of classic British sports cars with brown leather out there.

Coral red is trickier. You really have to go with a neutral, but silver and red is very Alfa-Romeo-ish. Says Italian car, not German. It's gorgeous with black and also fantastic with space gray, since a bit of color on the inside makes a nice luxurious counterpoint with the functional, muted gray exterior. And there is a lot of black in the interior, so the red is not overpowering.

I would not have picked coral red, but my sales guy had me sit in a black M3 with a coral red interior and that was it. No doubt. I was on the Mother Ship. I asked a friend if maybe I'd get tired of it and she looked me straight in the eye and said, "No. I think that every time you walk up to that car and see the red leather you are going to smile."

She was right. But red isn't for everyone. Just don't go with black or beautiful but hard-to-keep-clean lemon because you think brown is scary. It's not. It's a timeless classic.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 06:24 AM   #6
tentacle9
Registered
Rep
Drives:

hmmmm

Thanks for all the quick replies guys! I know exactly how you feel about zoning out with the girlfriend thinking about car colours! Incidently mine thinks I am mad to be thinking about getting anything other than black or silver. She is Chinese and reckons White is only for girls (bless her).

Thanks for all the advice - I agree I shouldn't be too scared of the more colourful options, they are a more retro look especially with silver, but I think of bmw as a thoroughly modern car and want quite a modern look...Also it seems strange to me to have a brown seat and a black leather steering wheel and arm rest. Not that I think it would look better all brown but the mixture doesn't sound right - you wouldn't have a leather jacket with brown and black leather together (most people wouldn't anyway). I am warming to the red in an AW but still am still leaning towards Space Grey with Lemon - anyone seen any pictures (especially with the standard sport wheels )?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 07:07 AM   #7
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Dashboard and other trim is also black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentacle9 View Post
Thanks for all the quick replies guys! I know exactly how you feel about zoning out with the girlfriend thinking about car colours! Incidently mine thinks I am mad to be thinking about getting anything other than black or silver. She is Chinese and reckons White is only for girls (bless her).

Thanks for all the advice - I agree I shouldn't be too scared of the more colourful options, they are a more retro look especially with silver, but I think of bmw as a thoroughly modern car and want quite a modern look...Also it seems strange to me to have a brown seat and a black leather steering wheel and arm rest. Not that I think it would look better all brown but the mixture doesn't sound right - you wouldn't have a leather jacket with brown and black leather together (most people wouldn't anyway). I am warming to the red in an AW but still am still leaning towards Space Grey with Lemon - anyone seen any pictures (especially with the standard sport wheels )?
Just go to a BMW dealer and look at some color combinations. They don't have to be 135s. You'll see the colors together and know which combos you like. There is no way I would have picked black with coral if I hadn't seen it, but it's definitely my favorite. You, too, might see something in person that grabs you and that you wouldn't have otherwise picked!

After my combo, I like space gray with coral, Le Mans blue with terra and Lemans Blue blue with lemon (hard to keep lemon clean, though). I think black leather interiors are about as unimaginative and clichéd as you can get. B-O-R-I-N-G.

Of course, I have the anthracite headliner, which makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #8
CLIVE UK 23
Rep
Drives: 120d Coupe

Cool Colour combo

Hi tentacle 9
I recently purchased a alpine white 120d M Sport with black leather and 18 inch rims.Thi colour really suits the 1er but I must say the coral red interior also looks good. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #9
tentacle9
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Thanks it does help. In fact i think I am coming to the conclusion that I am going to go with White on Black. I noticed that my neighbour across the street (or perhaps a visitor) has a new Audi R8 in White with Black details and black leather and it looked amazing. Obviously an R8 is a step up from a 1series (nice as a 1 series is!) but I think it made my decision for me. I can see the attraction with having a more colourful interior but the monochrome contrast between black and white does it for me more. Just need to sell my car now so I can place my order! Any one want a 52 plate convertible E46 330 Sport in Topaz Blue with black leather and carbon inserts? only 78k on the clock!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #10
shmee150
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 123d SE Coupe

If I could have afforded it, I'd have had a lemon interier on my AW. Stupid budget
      12-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #11
UK135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmee150 View Post
If I could have afforded it, I'd have had a lemon interier on my AW. Stupid budget
what did you get as your interior then?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 02:53 AM   #12
changed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 Msport

cant go too far wrong with AW and black m8.

will look good for years.

much as i love mine, i was oh so tempted by AW, but i just didn't have the guts to spend 30K+ on a white car!

given the choice again now....
Appreciate 0