BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

BMW PS Installed today

My car is getting the BMW PS installed as I type

I'll post reviews and pics in a new thread, but I wanted to let everyone know that I'll have before and after pics with measurements so you all can see how much of a drop this suspension provides.

ps - Thanks Dan@United!!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Subscribed for later!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
///M ichael
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: HiAce

I want to see that PS and pics :wink:
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
S54dan
I no longer work for United BMW!
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E46 330i ZHP, E36 325i

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
Awesome, hope everything goes well!
      12-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
Yearofthe1
Rep

Picked the car up a few hours ago. I won't be posting my impressions or pics until the weekend due to my work schedule and the fact that I haven't logged many miles on the new suspension yet. But I do have this as a teaser:

I could feel the change in the first few seconds after pulling away from the dealer. Even while taking a turn at 10 miles per hour, I could tell that this set-up was more capable. I took the car out for a drive down a favorite secluded road of mine. The fastest speed I was able to reach on the stock suspension without getting too nervous topped out around 80 mph. After a few runs, the nervous factor didn't kick in until 93 mph with the new suspension. Here is a map of the road in question:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...=16&iwloc=addr

On the first clover leaf the next exit north on 28 from that road, I was able to hit 55 mph before the tires started complaining. I can't imagine what this car will feel like with some PS2's on tap. More to come this weekend in a new thread.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
Cooldaddygroove
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Wopudl love to know the effect on ride quality (more or less compliant)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #7
Yearofthe1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooldaddygroove View Post
Wopudl love to know the effect on ride quality (more or less compliant)
That is the most surprising aspect to this suspension. The ride is still as comfortable as before. This is hard to explain, but I'd say that if you got into another 1er with the BMW PS installed and weren't told, you probably wouldn't notice the difference at first. But as soon as you took your first fast turn, you'd definitely know something was different. The car just feels like it sticks and tracks with much more predictability. Now this may be my imagination, but it even feels like I can exit a turn faster than stock without the DSC lighting up. I'll have to test this more fully later on. I'm very happy so far. Unfortunately, I won't be able to take it back to the track until the spring-time

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 12:57 PM   #8
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
That is the most surprising aspect to this suspension. The ride is still as comfortable as before. This is hard to explain, but I'd say that if you got into another 1er with the BMW PS installed and weren't told, you probably wouldn't notice the difference at first. But as soon as you took your first fast turn, you'd definitely know something was different. The car just feels like it sticks and tracks with much more predictability. Now this may be my imagination, but it even feels like I can exit a turn faster than stock without the DSC lighting up. I'll have to test this more fully later on. I'm very happy so far. Unfortunately, I won't be able to take it back to the track until the spring-time
Did you install the performance springs as well?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #9
S54dan
Rep

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
It's required if you plan on keeping your warranty (which is the incentive to do the BMW PS install in the first place). If they find a blown strut on a PS install without the springs, BMW is almost guaranteed to not warranty it.
      12-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@UnitedBMW View Post
It's required if you plan on keeping your warranty (which is the incentive to do the BMW PS install in the first place). If they find a blown strut on a PS install without the springs, BMW is almost guaranteed to not warranty it.
Why is that? Most people agree that stiffer springs should always be accompanied by stiffer shocks/struts, but I've not heard that it's necessary to go for a stiffer spring when installing stiffer shocks/struts.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #11
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I can confirm that.

Quote:
This is exactly my experience with it as well.

I'd already switched to winter wheels and tires, and it corners better than the "M-sport" suspension did on the wider 18" summer tires, so I can only imagine what it'll be like when I get to switch back in the spring.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #12
S54dan
Rep

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajshanny View Post
Why is that? Most people agree that stiffer springs should always be accompanied by stiffer shocks/struts, but I've not heard that it's necessary to go for a stiffer spring when installing stiffer shocks/struts.
Per BMW instructions for the install, it is required that the springs are ordered for installation along with the kit itself. For example, if you add H&R springs with the BMW PS and a strut fails, don't expect it to be covered.
      12-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #13
Yearofthe1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethchan View Post
This is exactly my experience with it as well.

I'd already switched to winter wheels and tires, and it corners better than the "M-sport" suspension did on the wider 18" summer tires, so I can only imagine what it'll be like when I get to switch back in the spring.
Yeah, I got lucky that the day I picked my car up the temps were in the 50's, plenty warm enough for the summers that I still have on the car. I was able to put the suspension to the test for a bit. I'll be throwing on my winters this weekend however, but they are bridgestone blizzaks on 18x7.5 wheels, and I've heard good things about these tires when it comes to performance. We'll see.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 04:55 PM   #14
Yearofthe1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajshanny View Post
Did you install the performance springs as well?
Yes, I do have the performance springs (how could I pass those up?)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 04:57 PM   #15
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@UnitedBMW View Post
Per BMW instructions for the install, it is required that the springs are ordered for installation along with the kit itself. For example, if you add H&R springs with the BMW PS and a strut fails, don't expect it to be covered.
I can understand if BMW won't warranty the performance shocks/struts when used with an aftermarket spring, but I don't know why they wouldn't warranty the shocks/struts when used with the stock BMW springs, which presumably are softer than the performance springs.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #16
Yearofthe1
Rep

See my measurements here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20450

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #17
stovesax08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i, X5 45e

Quote:
Picked the car up a few hours ago. I won't be posting my impressions or pics until the weekend due to my work schedule and the fact that I haven't logged many miles on the new suspension yet.
nudge nudge:biggrin: