E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > BMW Dealer Reviews + Ratings Forum > bad BMW service experience (Bayside BMW - NY)

06-12-2006, 07:06 PM   #1
qwerty
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

Thumbs down bad BMW service experience (Bayside BMW - NY)

My 2006 325i was in the BMW of Bayside (New York) for five days for following things:
-software upgrade
-emission recall
-oil change (out of my pocket)
-ticking noise coming from front wheel when driven over bump
-grinding noise coming from the front driver side wheel and service engine light regarding front brake
-Failing to start
-whining noise coming from the engine
-condensation in head lamps

Before I describe what they did, I have to share my general experience. The technician (Mr. Dawson) was very nice. He took his time to explain me what he did to the car. However, I was pissed off at the SA and his manager. When I told SA manager about the free tank of gas for emission recall, he played dumb. But the tech knew about the free gas. WTF. So I showed the SA manager the service bulletin stating that dealer is required to top off the gas. Then the SA manger told me that topping off gas tank is not same as a free tank of gas. He said topping off gas is giving customer few bucks for gas, literally, couple of dollars. I was so pissed off. He thought that I don't know what top off means. Then someone told him that it is upto $50. Anyways, he ask a guy to gas up the car. I don't know which octane he put but the tank was nearly full to only 90%. (Such a cheap sh**t.). What pissed me off more is, on the way home, the engine was knocking. :mad: I thought the emission recall may cause this so I called Mr Dawson the technician. He said the engine shouldn't knock. It leads me to believe that the guy put regular gas instead of recommended super. :mad: I won't take the car to the service again. I am scared what they would do to fix the knocking. I'll burn off the gas and fill it with super and see if the knocking goes away. BTW will regular gas and knocking damage my engine?

So here is what the dealer did.
-software upgrade: SA said they only do software upgrade only if there is a problem with the car. So they just enabled the day time running light.
-emission recall: The report says this was done.
-oil change (out of my pocket): They charged me $100 for this. How can I verify if they actually changed the oil?
-ticking noise coming from front wheel when driven over bump: The tech fixed this. He said it was due to some suspension stuff.
-grinding noise coming from the front driver side wheel and service engine light regarding front brake: The tech said the brake pad sensor was hanging loose. He replaced the sensor.
-Failing to start: The tech said he couldn't reproduce the problem. I'll just call the roadside assistance if it happens again.
-whining noise coming from the engine: The tech said he cannot hear any whining noise. I even provided him the recording but nothing is done. This was the main reason to visit the service. Maybe they know about it but have no solution. The whining noise seems louder now.
-condensation in head lamps: SA said this happens to all the BMW cars and it is normal. BullSh*t!.

As you figured out already, I DON'T recomment this BMW of Bayside service at all. The tech was nice but SA and his manager are cheapskates full of lies and bullsh*ts. Does anyone know any good dealer in the tri-state area?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2006, 07:54 PM   #2
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330, 20' F97 X3m

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
TRY RALLEY! IN ROSLYN! IVE BEEN DEALIN W THEM FOR TEN YEARS! VERY INFORMED, REPUTABLE DEALERSHIP! FABIAN OR DAVE IN BMW, OR NICK OR KENNY IN MERCEDES! VERY KNOWLEDGABLE GENTLEMAN!! TELL EM MATT FROM GREAT NECK COLLISION SENT U!

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
kevE90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F8x

I keep hearing bad things about BMW Bayside. Mainly the service dept. Does that mean I shouldn't purchase my BMW from them? I think so. Douglaston/Queens. I was thinking about Rallye. Anywhere else?

qwerty,
Sorry bout the experience. Happens a lot whenever you need to fix a bunch of things at once. Try focusing on getting the more important things crossed off the list first.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2006, 06:06 AM   #4
qwerty
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevE90zsp
I keep hearing bad things about BMW Bayside. Mainly the service dept. Does that mean I shouldn't purchase my BMW from them? I think so. Douglaston/Queens. I was thinking about Rallye. Anywhere else?

qwerty,
Sorry bout the experience. Happens a lot whenever you need to fix a bunch of things at once. Try focusing on getting the more important things crossed off the list first.
kevE90zsp,
Thanks for the good advice.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2006, 06:09 AM   #5
qwerty
Private
Rep

another complaint about BMW of Bayside.
Because I didn't buy the car from them, they didn't give me a loaner car. But they had a car to rent out at $80/day.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2006, 06:53 AM   #6
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

Sorry, to hear of your bad experience.

I would most definitely buy the car where you plan on servicing it.
      06-13-2006, 07:08 AM   #7
Krockit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 03 Boxster

Are you already past warranty miles or did you request the oil change? If both are no answers, you definitely have been cheated on your standard BMW service warrranty. All oil changes per BMW recommended interval are no charge for 4-yrs/50,000. Contact BMW North America and complain. Other option is to find the name of the Region's service rep and complain to him. Service departments really hate to see this guy pissed off. You may have to go to another dealer to even get this person's number.
Ordered- 4/6, Pro#- 4/8, Vin#- 4/15, Build date- 4/17, Completion date- 4/25, At port- 5/2, Loaded @ Bremerhaven- 5/4, on the water- 5/5, docked NYC- 5/18, Docked SC and released to carrier- 5/23, arrived Milwaukee -5/25! YEAH BROTHER! Drove it home- 5/31

330i SG/Beige 6MT, ZSP, ZPP, Comfort Access, Htd seats, Sirius, 35% tint.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2006, 08:42 AM   #8
MG_2006325i_KG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Alpine White

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
not sure if a top off would make your engine knock....
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2006, 09:36 AM   #9
leosong11
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

WTF!!:mad:
I just dropped off my 325 yesterday as well and I had the worst experience. First I had to wait 3 and half weeks in order to get a loaner. When I got there I ended up waiting 45 min for the rental car. A rental car! Mazda 3. What the hell is that?! What pissed me off even more was that there was a guy who came before me that got his rental car first even though I told them I was late and needed to catch the train.
When I pick up my car I guess I won't complain about them not topping off. Stupid idiots at BMW Bayside.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2006, 09:54 AM   #10
Juve29
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 325i titanium silver spk

I also had a bad experience with my dealer. Like i mentined on previous post customer satisfacton is not BMW's priority.
      06-13-2006, 10:01 AM   #11
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leosong11
What pissed me off even more was that there was a guy who came before me that got his rental car first even though I told them I was late and needed to catch the train.
I'm not sure I understand that complaint. Are you saying you were not allowed to cut in line even though you told them you were late? Maybe I'm reading it wrong.
      06-13-2006, 10:44 AM   #12
powderhound
Powderhound
Rep
Drives: BMW 325xi

I think a lot of these complaints are indicitive of buisness today. This same service level may be found across the nation - from all car mfg's, appliance stores, etc. I think its awful that delears like the one 'Great NecK Collision' mentioned are few and far between.

I go out of my way to deal with people that respect and understand customer needs.

I appreciate the tip on BAYSIDE BMW as a past NYC resident, and encourage more of the same on this forum, from all areas, in order to help others avoid poor service experiences and shutdown those who are sub-par.

'06 325xi - 6spd man - Prem. Pkg - Sports Pkg - Cld Weather - iDrive - Xenon - SAT R. - graphite / poplar / black
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2006, 11:16 AM   #13
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK
I'm not sure I understand that complaint. Are you saying you were not allowed to cut in line even though you told them you were late? Maybe I'm reading it wrong.
Obviously the original poster knew what he had to do was far more important than the people ahead of him in the line.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2006, 11:58 AM   #14
qwerty
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krockit
Are you already past warranty miles or did you request the oil change? If both are no answers, you definitely have been cheated on your standard BMW service warrranty. All oil changes per BMW recommended interval are no charge for 4-yrs/50,000. Contact BMW North America and complain. Other option is to find the name of the Region's service rep and complain to him. Service departments really hate to see this guy pissed off. You may have to go to another dealer to even get this person's number.
Mind was due in two month but I asked for the oil change. Originally, SA asked me if I want the schedule counter reset. Then he said he can leave the counter untouched and I can get another one after two month as if he was doing me a favor. Thanks for your concern.

BTW, how can I check if the oil is actually changed? I am planning to inspect through the oil filler hole. But what is the color of clean oil. I've seen dark new oils in the past, I think.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2006, 12:19 PM   #15
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty
Mind was due in two month but I asked for the oil change. Originally, SA asked me if I want the schedule counter reset. Then he said he can leave the counter untouched and I can get another one after two month as if he was doing me a favor. Thanks for your concern.

BTW, how can I check if the oil is actually changed? I am planning to inspect through the oil filler hole. But what is the color of clean oil. I've seen dark new oils in the past, I think.
drain the oil and check the color? i doubt u could tell a difference depending on how hard u've driven on previous oil or u could send it in for oil analysis tests. u've never seen clean oil color before?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2006, 12:21 PM   #16
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK
that's one rude sob
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2006, 12:24 PM   #17
qwerty
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG_2006325i_KG
not sure if a top off would make your engine knock....
Top off with low octane gas would.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2006, 12:36 PM   #18
Simple1
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
TRY RALLEY! IN ROSLYN! IVE BEEN DEALIN W THEM FOR TEN YEARS! VERY INFORMED, REPUTABLE DEALERSHIP! FABIAN OR DAVE IN BMW, OR NICK OR KENNY IN MERCEDES! VERY KNOWLEDGABLE GENTLEMAN!! TELL EM MATT FROM GREAT NECK COLLISION SENT U!
Do you mind me also using you as a referral? I'm not buying a 3er (530i) but I've been talking to some guy from there I keep forgetting his name (i know bad thing) he seems pretty cool and sounds like a respectful guy. I hope the next time he calls which is next week I'll get his name once again.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2006, 07:20 PM   #19
AxelLopezzzz
Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White M3 Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Same here in PR, I took my 330 because the air bag light, the seat belt light, change wipers and a weird noise in the right front brake. My car was there for 10 days, they never changed the wipers, the QC guy put on 30 more miles in the odometer (brake test), the car had 1/4 tank less and they couldn't wash it before I got thewre for pick-up. What a crock of sh#t. At least my loaner was an X3. Poor baby...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2006, 07:22 PM   #20
MIKEYMIKE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i 6mt

Call BMW corporate and complain.

Believe it or not, corporate headquarters cares about that kind of stuff
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2006, 11:32 PM   #21
lknbimmers
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90/G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple1
Do you mind me also using you as a referral? I'm not buying a 3er (530i) but I've been talking to some guy from there I keep forgetting his name (i know bad thing) he seems pretty cool and sounds like a respectful guy. I hope the next time he calls which is next week I'll get his name once again.
Lookup George Kanes @ Rallye BMW. Let him know that Andrew referred you, he will take care of you!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2006, 11:12 AM   #22
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330, 20' F97 X3m

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple1
SURE FEEL FREE TO THROW MY NAME OUT THERE!! THEY REALLY TRY TO MAKE U FEEL COMFORTABLE THERE! I BOUGHT MY BMMAS FROM A GENTLEMAN NAMED NICK SOLDO!!! HE LOVES ME AND MY CHECK BOOK! LOL!! HES A SALESMAN! BUT FABIAN BONNICCI IS MY SA! GREAT DUDE ALSO! THELL THEM MATT FROM GREAT NECK COLLISION SENT U!!

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0