BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-18-2008, 12:56 AM   #1
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

Evolution Racewerks' @ Super Lap Battle Finals (TIME ATTACK)

So last Wednesday was the day we've been waiting for since July since we've qualified for the Super Lap Battle Finals.

We made a few changes since July. We finally finished the front end wide body on our car and sent it off to paint. Came out great. Got the car back Friday before the race. 4 days to work on the car. We also made mud flaps to keep rocks and such from damaging the paint. Worked great as we went off into the dirt during the event and the car stayed clean hehe.

We pulled out the stock seats and mounted some Racetech seats. Fabricated a harness bar on the rear seats to let us retain the rear seats (for Street Class) and keep them up which acts like bulkhead from the methanol tank in the trunk (again to follow rules).

Last thing we did was remove the SSTT as we had gotten a new custom flash.

As some of you may know. We've been plagued with a limp mode problem since we've began racing earlier in the year. It was so bad that we could not make 1 lap under full power. At first, we thought it was the oil temperatures going too high. All these events were done in 100+ heat. We upgraded the oil coolers and now run 2 oil coolers, yet the problem persisted. We threw the car on the dyno and just sat there loading the car while datalogging. From here, we saw that it was the coolant temperatures that were going through the roof. At 120C (248F) the car would go into limp mode. We dropped the coolant and ran 90% water (water has better cooling characteristics than coolant) and added the Motul MoCool coolant additive. I was hoping this would temporarily fix our problems until the off season when I would have time to properly fix the problem. I was also hoping that temperatures would be a lot cooler.

We put the car on the dyno again on Tuesday and loaded the car (constant non stop pulls and holding rpms at certain points to heat up the car). Car goes into limp mode. Everyone is quiet. I'm about to pull my hair out. Morale drops. We knew it was going to be another sleepless night before the race. We gained 14 hp/19 tq gain we got from switching from the SSTT to the custom tune, but it's all pointless if we can't make a full lap around the track. Finally, I pulled myself from the gutter and the prospect of no sleep again (happens every single race) and took charge. We're generating too much heat. How can we drop heat without changing the cooling system? Reduce power output. Having max power without being able to make a lap is pointless and at this point having less power and being able to make 1 lap is more important. We start pulling off parts. Pulled the downpipes as it helps generate more boost which causes more heat. Did that in our record time (less than an hour). Jumped on the dyno and timed how long the car can go before limp mode. We needed about 2 minutes. Kept dropping power until about 330whp before we got our magic 2 minutes (estimated time around Buttonwillow config #13).

Packed up and left the shop. Got home at 12:30am. I was hating life. We need to leave at 1:30am. Took a 30 minute nap, got up and chugged a rockstar and got to track around 6:00am. Motul came by and dropped off some V300 10w40 competition engine oil and RBF600 brake fluid. Changed the oil and bleed the brakes.

VJ Mirzayan (of Turner Motorsports fame) came out to drive for us. Awesome driver. Can't say enough about how professional he is and what he brings to the table. He did suspension testing for us with KW while the car was completely stock and this was his first time driving the car modded. He was very surprised and happy with the performance of the car. Big difference compared to before in both power and cornering. The thing that shocked him and blew him away the most was how much speed he could carry into and through the turns. He brought out his own data acquisition and logged each runs and was showing me that he could go through the turns faster (up to 5 mph) in our full weight (3,400lb) street car running street tires (Yokohama Advan Neovas) than his Lotus Exige S (2,000lb) on R compound tires! I could tell he definately enjoyed driving our 1. He sees a lot of potential in the car and wants to drive it next season which we'd be more than happy.

So back to the event. Car goes out for the practice session and we're all crossing our fingers and praying. 1 lap, 2 laps. He's staying out!!!! No limp mode!!!!! We're jumping for joy like we just won the event. Seriously was such a relief that we can make 1 lap under power. Everything goes well the rest of the day. We had issues with the brakes. Initially, we didn't have any problems before the event, but during practice, the brakes went spongy. Crap, air in the lines. Ok, no problem bleed the brakes. No air. Uh oh, this only means 1 thing, air in the ABS module. We bleed that sucker like a mofo 3 times yet couldn't get the air out. Nothing we could do, need to cycle the abs while we bleed yet we couldn't do that at the track. Not a problem. Easily fixed by next race. Had a few close calls and we actually went off the track when we lost the brakes going into a turn. Took the passenger side lower guard out but other than that, no damage. First event with the Brembo BBK's. Big improvement over factory braking. Due to the air in the lines, we couldn't use them to full advantage, but even still, the improvements were there.

Berk Technology was out again. Great seeing you guys again! Definately made the day more interesting and always welcome the competition. They brought it this time. Was a challenge, but we prevailed again. Was definately close though. Great having direct competition as it gives both us our teams motivation to outdo the other. We're going to need to keep stepping up and improving the car each and everytime if we hope to stay ahead that's for sure.

We finished the event 6th in class with a time of 2:03:393. Not as well as I'd hoped, but the fact that we didn't have a limp mode issue was a victory for us and a big relief. That and that we had dropped power considerable to keep limp mode on check and did not have our brakes at 100% gives us a lot of hope that we can get under 2:00 easily next time. On the top of our upgrades for next race is an LSD. We easily could have gained 2 seconds if we had swapped out the stock unit for an LSD. We'll also be running the new Yokohama Advan Neovas AD08 next year (we're running AD07 now). Just picked up a set of these bad boys on Friday. Going to be making a few cooling system upgrades during the off season so we can run at 100% power. Also got a few power upgrades in the works as well.

So the season is done. No more races until March so I'll have a lot of time for development. I would like to give thanks to our sponsors this year for all the help. Without them, we would not have gotten this far. We're very happy that all our sponsors will continue to support us for the 2009 season!

The "Love" List:
Brembo
Yokohama Advan
KW Suspension
Forgeline Wheels
Motul
Robispec
Snow Performance
Genx Graphics
Road Race Engineering
Injen
Ranchill Motorsport

Well enough of my ramblings. Here are some pics. Didn't take many as we were dead tired from not sleeping and just forgot to take pictures. Will have better pictures later as Sam from Eurotuner Magazine took some pictures. We gave him a ride in the car around the track on our last session. Also will be getting track pictures from the onsite photographer which I will post up when I get them. He got a few nice pictures.

Yep, that's a 1Addicts sticker on the A-Pillar. Represent!!!

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 05:05 AM   #2
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Fred that was a very exciting read. Thanks for posting. By the way, are you using the Brembo GT lines or your own?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 07:28 AM   #3
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Fred, congrats on coming 6th. It's no easy feat especially given the issues you have been facing. Bryan has Quaife LSD with 3.46 final ratio, so I think you need to do something about yours there! There is a couple of seconds in that I reckon. But given that you have a hardcore race car there, can I suggest that you go with clutch based Drexler LSD like mine? One of these days I am going to drive Professor's car and mine back to back on a track to see what the difference is.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

I am not sure what tune you are currently running, but in the spirit of eliminating all possible causes for your coolant temp spikes, remove it and temporarily run a JB3 (both maps) or V3 (custom settings). Who knows, maybe your tune runs too lean at times...

Other than that, I think the Dinan reflash overdrives the water pump under full boost, which may also be a good fix for your problem (but harder to test).

Awesome report!

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

We're running our own. The rubber grommets that came with the GT kit did not fit well and kept popping off the brake line bracket. Could be due to the fact that our kit was the first one out. Because of that, I just made our own to solve the problem. While I was at it, I made lines for the stock brakes as well.

The air pocket we have in the ABS module is quite a persistent bugger. Can't get it out. I have tried bleeding it manually over 10 times yet still there. I've also pressure bleed and vacuum bleed the thing. Whenever you guys change any part of your brake system that would introduce air into the system, watch out for this. Normal and hard braking, it will feel normal. But once you push the brakes hard and the ABS activates, you'll feel that air pocket. Going to need to take it to the dealership to have them plug it into the computer and cycle the ABS system. That should move the air pocket out of the ABS so I can bleed it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor View Post
Fred that was a very exciting read. Thanks for posting. By the way, are you using the Brembo GT lines or your own?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

I would love to have a Drexler LSD, but my race budget is limited. At this point, any LSD I can get my hands on is the one we're going with. If it wasn't for our sponsors, our car would only have ER parts only. Don't know how my budget is going to be like next year. The economy in the US is bad lately and everyone's affected including us. Our sales have dropped off considerably and the fact that it's our slow season (nobody buys cars parts for christmas) doesn't help. The only major budget I'm allocated by the big boss lady is for product development. Hopefully we'll get support for the 1 community for our products and then I'll have budget to continue to improve our car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Fred, congrats on coming 6th. It's no easy feat especially given the issues you have been facing. Bryan has Quaife LSD with 3.46 final ratio, so I think you need to do something about yours there! There is a couple of seconds in that I reckon. But given that you have a hardcore race car there, can I suggest that you go with clutch based Drexler LSD like mine? One of these days I am going to drive Professor's car and mine back to back on a track to see what the difference is.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

We were running the SSTT before and went into limp mode. I then removed the SSTT and ran completely stock tuning and still goes into limp mode (though not as fast). The last 2 events were run without a tune.

Our new tune overdrives both the oil and water pumps. We were lucky this time that it was actually cool at the track with about 65-70 degree temps all day. Won't be able to tell how affective the overdrive oil and water pumps are until temperatures go back up at the track.

I was considering the JB3 as they seem to be the top dog tune right now. However, talking to Terry, the JB3 does not overdrive any of the pumps. This limp mode issue has given me nightmares so I didn't want to take a chance of not having the overdriven pumps so we chose a different route. I know the Dinan reflash overdrives the water pump and that too was in consideration. However, talking to Ralph who has the Dinan, he said they also experience the limp mode issue when it got hot.

The N54 does run quite lean, even stock. When we were loading the car on the dyno, the entire exhaust system all the way to the exhaust tip turned bright red. Our titanium exhaust tip turn completely blue from it. Wished I took a picture of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I am not sure what tune you are currently running, but in the spirit of eliminating all possible causes for your coolant temp spikes, remove it and temporarily run a JB3 (both maps) or V3 (custom settings). Who knows, maybe your tune runs too lean at times...

Other than that, I think the Dinan reflash overdrives the water pump under full boost, which may also be a good fix for your problem (but harder to test).

Awesome report!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
J Tyler
My ride: bimmergirl84
United_States
Rep
Drives: For free.

Well done, Fred!

We need to get some weight out of these things to run at the front...

- Jeff
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

The new fender flares look really good! You don't know how bad we want 285's!!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 06:26 AM   #10
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Great job to you Jeff. You gave us a run for our money.

Yeah most definitely. The trick is to be able to do it while still conforming to Street class rules. We wouldn't stand a chance in Limited Class at the current moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Tyler View Post
Well done, Fred!
We need to get some weight out of these things to run at the front...
- Jeff
Let me know if you want our front end wide body :wink:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkTechnology View Post
The new fender flares look really good! You don't know how bad we want 285's!!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #11
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Fred and Byran, how many laps do you guys run at the one go? We do about 8 laps and I get up to 115 degrees celcius. I guess this is why I have never encountered limp home mode. You guys should log your temperature on the track by buying a bluetooth enabled OBD2 dongle and download a simple software like Race Chrono on your Nokia handset and tape that to your car somewhere. That way you can have an easy way of downloading your water temp. I am running an AA tune but it is a low boost tune, maxing out at only 11.9psi. I do have a catless dp.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 03:01 PM   #12
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Fred, are you going to do a side skirt for the wide body kit? That is the only way to sell to the non racing public. Special price for your friends in Australia?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 04:53 PM   #13
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

We get 30 minute sessions, so as many laps as we get go around that time.

We logged our car and it seems to go into limp mode at 120C. You're not far off. Now that it's the off season, this will be my top priority to resolve. Really was handicapped not being able to run at our current maximum power output. We did not have any limp modes at the track this time (big relief). However, it was also quite cold for Buttonwillow with 65-70F temps.

Quote:
Fred and Byran, how many laps do you guys run at the one go? We do about 8 laps and I get up to 115 degrees celcius. I guess this is why I have never encountered limp home mode. You guys should log your temperature on the track by buying a bluetooth enabled OBD2 dongle and download a simple software like Race Chrono on your Nokia handset and tape that to your car somewhere. That way you can have an easy way of downloading your water temp. I am running an AA tune but it is a low boost tune, maxing out at only 11.9psi. I do have a catless dp.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #14
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yes, we will be doing the side skirts. The car went into the body shop a week before the event and they finished the fender, reworked the front bumper and painted everything in 5 days. I didn't have the side skirts done as I was on the fence on when we will be doing the rear wide body. If we did the rear wide body, we would have to have the side skirts match.

At the current moment, we have very happy with the balance of the car. Asthetically, the car may look funny with the wide body front end only, but it works and works very well. If we widen the rear and increase the track, that will increase understeer and upset the current balance of the car. At current power levels, we are not overworking the rear end and the car is very stable on throttle. Once we increase power outputs more (which we definitely will), the rear end may become of problem and therefore neccesitate the need for the rear wide body. We're all about performance here so that gets top priority. Personally, I like the look of the car right now. It's different, yet in a good way I think. We're certainly got a lot of attention so in that regards it works too.

The car is currently with Yokohama right now. They're doing a global press release for their new Advan Neova AD08 tire in Las Vegas this week. We have no events scheduled after this so the car is going into hibernation until next year. I've already pulled half the car apart and now it's time to pull the other half. Have big things planned as far as product development. Since it's the offseason and winter is our slow season, I'll have plenty of time to finish up a lot of the parts development. You guys will see quite a bit of stuff from us in spring :wink:.

Most definitely would love it if you'd sport our wide body. We're glad to support the 1 series racing community so when it's ready, we can work something out.

Quote:
Fred, are you going to do a side skirt for the wide body kit? That is the only way to sell to the non racing public. Special price for your friends in Australia?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 05:13 AM   #15
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Some more pics I found on the web:
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 05:21 AM   #16
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Fred, I really like the looks of your fender! Reminds me of my C63. That also has a widebody front but same rear as any other C class. So is that a brand new bumber as well or just a modified OE bumber?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 06:51 AM   #17
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Looking forward to hearing what you do in terms of cooling mods. I'm planning on dedicating some more time to the BMWCCA, PCA, and SCCA thing next year, so I'd like to spend the winter getting the car into condition where it can run without having to worry about overheating/oil temp.

I'm thinking oil cooler first and foremost, but curious to see what you folks come up with.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 05:09 PM   #18
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

That's the OEM bumper redone to accept the larger fender. It's a good chance we may make some changes to redesign a new front bumper. However, I do like the fact that the front end looks stock. What do you think?

Quote:
Fred, I really like the looks of your fender! Reminds me of my C63. That also has a widebody front but same rear as any other C class. So is that a brand new bumber as well or just a modified OE bumber?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 05:14 PM   #19
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

I think the major issue with this car is the coolant/water cooling. It is quite inadequate especially in hot weather and increased power levels. Since the oil is water cooled as well as air cooled, having high coolant temps doesn't help much in reducing oil temps. Since the oil temp is the only sensor we have to look at without using a datalogger, we get the impression that oil temps are the main issue, or at least that's what happened with us. We upgraded the OEM oil cooler as well as run another oil cooler (2 upgraded oil coolers) and oil temps are better but again showed that the problem wasn't the oil temps alone.

I will have a cooling solution ready by spring. It is on the top of my priorities for the car so that we can permanently resolve our high related limp mode problems. I have til our first race in March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82TT6 View Post
Looking forward to hearing what you do in terms of cooling mods. I'm planning on dedicating some more time to the BMWCCA, PCA, and SCCA thing next year, so I'd like to spend the winter getting the car into condition where it can run without having to worry about overheating/oil temp.

I'm thinking oil cooler first and foremost, but curious to see what you folks come up with.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 05:57 PM   #20
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

I am 100% with you. I prefer the stock look. Can't wait to see the final product!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution Racewerks View Post
That's the OEM bumper redone to accept the larger fender. It's a good chance we may make some changes to redesign a new front bumper. However, I do like the fact that the front end looks stock. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #21
DTR
1 day...
United_States
Rep
Drives: The "OTHER" German

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution Racewerks View Post
so was the bumper just manipulated/tweaked and stretched out to fit ur new fenders?

car looks sick by the way :w00t:
      11-21-2008, 02:06 PM   #22
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks!

No, the front bumper was actually modified by being cut into pieces and then sections added to it to extend it. So you can't just take a stock bumper and put it on. Well you could but it wouldn't fit right. We originally didn't modify the front bumper, just pull it and stretched it so that it would go on. The lines didn't match up and there was gaps on the side of the headlight. It was temporary for us so that we could go race. That's why in the pictures in my sig, you see the blue tape by the headlights. It's covering the gap between the headlight and bumper. Also the wheel arch line didn't quite line up.

With the new modified front bumper, there's no gaps and everything lines up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTR View Post
so was the bumper just manipulated/tweaked and stretched out to fit ur new fenders?

car looks sick by the way :w00t:
Appreciate 0