BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-12-2008, 02:22 AM   #1
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Thumbs up SAVAGE BMW, Ontario CA NITROGEN FILL PROGRAM

After being told at COSTCO they wont fill my tires with NITROGEN (N2) because I didn't buy my tires from them, I was a happy camper when my BMW dealership started to offer the program. I first gave it a go on the E82 135 and filled all 4's with N2.

SAVAGE BMW in Ontario, CA offers the nitrogen fill program in all your tires (spares included if you have one) for $99. This includes a LIFETIME of refills so it's a GREAT DEAL. Contact Jim Straley, service manager (JimS@savagebmw.com), Eric Hall (EricH@savagebmw) for an appointment and a DISCOUNT on this service (just mention Kirk and they will automatically give you one). They can also be contacted at 909.390.7888.

Today I brought the rest of the fleet into Savage for the fill, the E60, the E90 and E46. Each car took roughly 45 min with car wash. Here are some pics of the mini-event.

The tech simply hooks up all 4 tires to the machine to purge the tires of the mix they currently have in there and remixes them up to set PSI. This process is done twice to make sure the mix is optimal once inside your tires.

The N2 package also includes N2 valve stem caps that will note that your tires are cool and N2 filled. There's a certificate that will entitle you to lifetime fill of N2 at Savage BMW also.

To read more on Nitrogen, you can go to
http://www.getnitrogen.org/why/index.php

Nitrogen fill in tires is used in NASCAR, Indy racing, Military applications (including AIR FORCE ONE!), Commercial airlines & NASA to name a few.

The benefits stack up very high to your favor also to have N2 in your tires so give the guys at SAVAGE BMW a call and get yours done today!

*Increased Fuel Efficiency
Longer Tire Life
Increased Safety
Improved TPMS Performance
More Predictable Pressure Fluctuation
Longer Rim Life
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 02:50 AM   #2
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeak View Post
wow that a cool deal ill have to check if they do it around here...

does it make a difference? HONESTLY
if it didnt CLEARLY make a difference I wouldn't have done all cars....
hope you find a local dealer that will do it for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 07:19 AM   #3
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

My dealership charged me $80.00 and I thought that was crazy.

I checked with a tireshop in Etobecoke (was in the neighbourhood..part of Toronto/On for those who don't know) and they charge $10 per tire. That includes purging the tires of the existing air. So shop around if $99 or $80 is too high for you. I was debating on bringing in my winters.

EspressoBoy
      11-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeak View Post
wow that a cool deal ill have to check if they do it around here...

does it make a difference? HONESTLY
In my opinion, maybe. Understand there are two basic benefits to using n2.

First is maintenance. You lose less pressure to the atmosphere with n2 vs air, so you have to fill the tires up less often. A properly inflated tire is safer, gets better gas mileage and increases tire life - whether filled with n2 or air. Your tpms sensors will not work any better with n2, they will just light up less often. In other words, there is nothing special about n2 that proper tire maintenance will not give you during ordinary driving.

Some people also say that n2 will cause less oxidation on your rims, but I have never had a rim disintigrate due to oxidation and I have never heard of it happening to anyone, anywhere, ever, so...

The second difference is for the track. n2 explands less than air when it gets hot. This means you can set a psi for track use and don't need to re-check every time you pull off the track. Although... most people that track with n2 still check every time. This is the only reason why NASCAR, F1, etc use n2.

So, for ordinary driving the only thing n2 offers is the convenience of having to monitor your air pressure less often. The tradeoff is that if your tpms does go off, you need to take the car to a place with n2 instead of hooking up the compressor in your garage.

If you track heavily and often n2 will make a difference.

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

esses

You forgot the most important thing of all!

You get the cool little valve caps, and then all your friends can ask you why the green caps, or N2 on it!!! Oh and it's another reason you need to keep an eye on the car, cause those little buggers in the parking lot love to steal them even more! LOL

EspressoBoy
      11-12-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
This has been discussed at length in various threads.

Only one independent study has been conducted about the pressure losses of pure nitrogen vs air, and it showed approc 0.7 psi difference between oil changes, which to me is insignificant, considering you should be checking much more often than that anyways.

The reason people use nitrogen in extreme situations is the extreme pressure changes due to water vapor content in the tires. Unless you plan on signifigant changes in tire temperature (racing, etc.) you should not need nitrogen in your tires.

But if it gives you a warm fuzzy to have nitrogen in your tires, be my guest. But to me it isnt worth one dollar a tire, much less 10 or 20.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
modbargains
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i & 01 Toyota Avalon

The GT-R uses N2 standard, just goes to show racing technology and methods being integrated into everyday use.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
last week we had some wild swings in temperatures out here in the desert. 95F during the day and at night the temps would drop to 45F, that set off the TPMS in the M3 and the 335...let's see if this goes away with the N2 in the tires...my guess is it will.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 01:44 PM   #9
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkx5m View Post
last week we had some wild swings in temperatures out here in the desert. 95F during the day and at night the temps would drop to 45F, that set off the TPMS in the M3 and the 335...let's see if this goes away with the N2 in the tires...my guess is it will.

It's what my CA told me as he billed me 80 loonies for it... personally I just think I paid 20 each for the cool caps... lol

EspressoBoy

n2 gas was free...