BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #1
IN54NE
Private
Rep
Drives: .

Question H&R Sways on stock suspension

Last edited by IN54NE; 11-10-2019 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: ...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
One&Only
Only 1 n Rome
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Coupe

Won't get real technical here cause I don't know how to do that....I have the H&R front & rear sways and the car definately delivers a tighter, flatter ride. I feel more in control...guess you'd call that less body roll.
You see, I've driven a MINI S for the past 4+ years and I've gotten used to that haul a$$ flat out ride. The MINI serves as a benchmark and I hope to get very close in my 1er.
I'm presently thinking of a H&R spring install as well as lowering a bit. The word here is "thinking" about it.
A track day or 2 should help me make up my mind.
      10-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe TiAg

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by One&Only View Post
Won't get real technical here cause I don't know how to do that....I have the H&R front & rear sways and the car definately delivers a tighter, flatter ride. I feel more in control...guess you'd call that less body roll.
You see, I've driven a MINI S for the past 4+ years and I've gotten used to that haul a$$ flat out ride. The MINI serves as a benchmark and I hope to get very close in my 1er.
I'm presently thinking of a H&R spring install as well as lowering a bit. The word here is "thinking" about it.
A track day or 2 should help me make up my mind.
Excuse the ignorance as I've not changed sway bars myself. I assume this is a fairly simple DIY job? Did you change bushes too?

One should love animals. They are so tasty.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Fronts are a snap to change. The rears, which are normally easier than the fronts, are quite difficult on the e82/e87.installing a rear sway requires that you lower the entire rear subframe about 3" in order to get the old sway out, and the new sway in.

Some have been able to do so without having to disconnect the bake lines, others say it requires disconnecting the brake lines.

I like my H&R Sport sways, and yes, the ride is a bit harsher, but not incredibly so. It does handle well though.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
One&Only
Only 1 n Rome
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breville View Post
Excuse the ignorance as I've not changed sway bars myself. I assume this is a fairly simple DIY job? Did you change bushes too?
NO...it's NOT a DIY job...when I said I did it...I really meant I HAD it done...please forgive me...

Most people who are comfortable with doing their own car work could easily do the front sway but NOT the BACK....it's a bit of a bugger.

Sways were all I changed...absolutely nothing else. Thought I'd start with 1 thing at a time and see what I liked.
      10-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
bluemoon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

One&Only, please give us an update after you've had a couple track days with the H&R sway bars on a stock suspension. I 'm also considering them as one of my first upgrades for the track. Especially interested in what effect they have, if any, on reducing understeer. Are you on stock 18" wheels w/RFTs?

Also, do you know how the H&R bars compare in weight to the stock bars?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe TiAg

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by One&Only View Post
NO...it's NOT a DIY job...when I said I did it...I really meant I HAD it done...please forgive me...

Most people who are comfortable with doing their own car work could easily do the front sway but NOT the BACK....it's a bit of a bugger.

Sways were all I changed...absolutely nothing else. Thought I'd start with 1 thing at a time and see what I liked.
Thanks for the info. I'll take it to the dealer..

One should love animals. They are so tasty.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 10:21 PM   #8
ML
Change for a Nickle?
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3, Mazda truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I like my H&R Sport sways, and yes, the ride is a bit harsher, but not incredibly so. It does handle well though.
Larryn,

I thought that you were considering only installing the front sway bar. Did you try the H&R on only the front? If so, what was the result?

Thanks,
Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 04:58 PM   #9
one-35
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post
Larryn,

I thought that you were considering only installing the front sway bar. Did you try the H&R on only the front? If so, what was the result?

Thanks,
Mike

Larryn or anyone else,

Can you describe the difference/change in changing ONLY the front sway to H&R? Were the turns NOTICEABLY flatter? The frt sway bar thicknesses are the same, so I wouldn't expect much difference in handling/performance.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
ocinek
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Can someone point me to an install guide for the sways (135)? I NEED to do this but dropping the subframe for the rear bar would be a huge inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #11
ML
Change for a Nickle?
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3, Mazda truck

Larryn put together a nice DIY for the fronts:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...hlight=swaybar
      10-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #12
Call
Call
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 08 & 07 X5, 05 MCSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-35 View Post
Larryn or anyone else,

Can you describe the difference/change in changing ONLY the front sway to H&R? Were the turns NOTICEABLY flatter? The frt sway bar thicknesses are the same, so I wouldn't expect much difference in handling/performance.
The front sway bar is solid steel on the H&Rs...the oem is tube. And I also noticed the oem tapers in the middle...looks like a weak point to me.

My BMW certified mechanic installed the front after I tried the Cross coil overs alone for a few weeks. It really made an added difference in the twisties up on The Dragon. The feel is more "on the rail". I'd say you will really enjoy the H&Rs in autox:biggrin: and they are a no-brainer for track.

Call
      10-30-2008, 11:06 AM   #13
one-35
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
The front sway bar is solid steel on the H&Rs...the oem is tube. And I also noticed the oem tapers in the middle...looks like a weak point to me.

My BMW certified mechanic installed the front after I tried the Cross coil overs alone for a few weeks. It really made an added difference in the twisties up on The Dragon. The feel is more "on the rail". I'd say you will really enjoy the H&Rs in autox:biggrin: and they are a no-brainer for track.

Call
Thank you for the response!!! Exactly what I wanted to know about the H&R front sway. You have been very helpful in my decision-making process.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #14
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Also, the BMW performance suspension only replaced the front sway bar on 135.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #15
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Pic of taper (on the stock black swaybar):

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 06:40 PM   #16
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I had the front bar put in today the rear bar they could not figure out. I think I will just bring the car into BMW to install the rear sway. After having the front bar installed I do not understand why the car did not come like this from the factory. I took the car for a ride on a fun road by my house I really did not expect much of a difference in handling since the thickness of the bar from stock was not that much. I was wrong the turn in is much sharper and the car feels better planted to the ground it also remains flatter during hard cornering. I totally recommend installing the H&R sways, I cannot wait to see how the car handles with the rear bar installed and a new alignment. I will get this done Monday and right a review.
      05-31-2009, 04:16 PM   #17
jremling
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i Coupe

Front Sway Bar Installation Cost?

Quote:

Call
What did you spend to have the front installed?
Appreciate 0