BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
NoZSP
Rep
Drives:

Stuck fuel gauge

My fuel gauge reads on full even when the tank is 1/3 down (about 140 miles since last fill up.) Miles-to-empty and average mileage indicators do show the expected consumption. (I verified that the average mileage computation was accurate to within 1% on the previous tank, by dividing refill volume into distance on the trip odometer.) it looks like this will be my first warranty issue, but I'll wait for something more serious to crop up before taking it in.

Has anyone else seen this happen?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
NoZSP
Rep
Drives:

Correction:
The miles-to-empty was ALSO not registering any fuel consumption; I misread it before.

Now that I am below 2/3 tank the fuel gauge is starting to move SLIGHTLY below full. Maybe the tank sensor is just very nonlinear/inaccurate?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 10:57 PM   #3
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Not saying that you did this, but modern BMWs are very sensitive to trying to "top off" with fuel when filling up. When I stopped trying to get the last little bit of fuel in the car I stopped having guage issues you are describing. Others have validated this issue.
      10-22-2008, 06:04 AM   #4
josh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, 135i

I also found that out the hard way on my E36. Does anybody know why the gauge gets stuck if thye tank is topped off?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8

pretty self explanitory, the gauge goes higher than it was meant to, and gets stuck on full. either in the gauge itself (less likely), or the fuel tank float itself. (more likely).
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 07:04 PM   #6
NoZSP
Rep
Drives:

I never obsess about stuffing the maximum amount of fuel into my car, but at the last fill I MAY have given it one LITTLE extra squirt after the pump stopped. If that is enough to jam the tank float, I would consider it a design flaw.

Anyway, what will it take to unstick the float or gauge? Will it reset at the next fill-up if I stop when I should, or does it require a dealer visit? Is it just jammed, or actually damaged?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

If it doesn't return to normal operation after a couple of days take it to your dealer.
      11-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #8
NoZSP
Rep
Drives:

Fuel gauge problem cont.

My fuel gauge was definitely reading too high (showing almost 1/2 full when nearly empty) so I took it to the dealer. They said the problem is in the in-tank pump (fuel level sensor must be integral with the pump) and they cannot do repairs inside the tank as it is sealed at the factory. SO, they have to order me a whole new tank (still under the warranty of course) and now they say it'll take a MONTH to get the new fuel tank!

I'm getting my 128i back tomorrow and will rely on the trip odometer to keep track of fuel level (filling more frequently than normal also) until they get the tank and I can go back to have it fixed. Annoying as it is a 1-hour drive each way. OTOH I did have a nice 528i as a loaner. Big and boaty, but still pretty capable, and with surprisingly good fuel economy: about 32 mpg on the highway (similar to the 128i) and only about 2 mpg worse around town. And that is with the AT (my 128i is 6MT.) The AT must have very tall top gearing.
Appreciate 0