BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
jgprather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Just got my Zaino

Just got my complete Zaino kit. Wow lots of stuff and even more directions! Yikes!!
BMW CCA member #409683

cystic fibrosis survivor, bilateral lung transplant recipient, cancer fighter. Never give up!

Co-founder and Creative Director, The Big Fun Foundation
Please visit, www.thebigfunbox.org
Making fun contagious.®
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

best wishes on your illnesses. enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
jgprather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Thanks very much.

I want to do the entire Zaino treatment this weekend.
1) How much time should I set aside?
2) Is it absolutely necessary to do it in the shade? It's very sunny here in FL this weekend. Not many shady areas at the house and only a couple of hours of dusk. Can I start this evening and finish tomorrow morning?
BMW CCA member #409683

cystic fibrosis survivor, bilateral lung transplant recipient, cancer fighter. Never give up!

Making fun contagious.®
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgprather View Post
Thanks very much.

I want to do the entire Zaino treatment this weekend.
1) How much time should I set aside?

About 6 hours overall, including allowing drying time between applications

2) Is it absolutely necessary to do it in the shade?

No - but be careful, it will dy very quickly in the sun. Do small sections.

It's very sunny here in FL this weekend. Not many shady areas at the house and only a couple of hours of dusk. Can I start this evening and finish tomorrow morning?

Yes
See responses in the quote
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
jgprather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I did the Dawn car wash and clay bar until sundown. Gave it a good drying before I wrapped up for tonight. The directions didn't say to wash off the clay bar residue afterward, but I did. I can't imagine that that stuff needs to stay on the paint overnight.

My new 100% cotton towels left tons of lint, though!
BMW CCA member #409683

Making fun contagious.®
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
penny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i (sold)

Same here. White towels are horrible around the sunroof trim. This Zaino stuff becomes an addiction!
      09-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
stso0000
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

I gave my 135 the Zaino treatment two weeks ago and Lester is pretty much spot on. I do have one addition to his advice. I have the same problem with the lack of shade where I live so I went back over the instructions and found that all of the steps to apply Z2/Z5, Z6, and Z-CS can be done in the sun. I would definitely clay-bar and wash in the shade but fortunately, that doesn't take up the majority of your time.

ST
Ordered May 27. Construction started May 30. Construction finished June 6. Awaiting transport June 7. Departed DE June 17. Arrived in US July 8. Arrived at Customs July 12. Left for VPC July 25. Delivered @ PC on Aug 12.

Options: CW, Premium, Sport Pkgs. CA. iPod. Premium Hi-fi. Satellite Radio. HD Radio.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
jgprather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I just peaked in the garage at my Dawn-washed, clay-barred and dried car. It's got some streaks and spots on it still. I have bad luck with drying properly. Should I use finishing cloths tomorrow morning before proceeding with the next steps?
BMW CCA member #409683

Making fun contagious.®
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #9
SlapSmak
Private
Rep
Drives:

Dont worry about the spots, they will come out with the first coat.
Your car is black, just do the z5 with Accelerator. Mix 1oz with 4 drops and shake for 60-90 seconds. You will get 3 coats out of that. Do a coat, let dry for 30-45 minutes, remove the coat and wipe the car down with gloss enhancer. do next coat, repeat. after all three coats are applied, do a coat of CS. it will look great and feel like a babies ass...my car has stayed 10 foot clean for a week, even with the rain.
      09-06-2008, 11:21 PM   #10
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

you also might want to get a good waffle weave drying towel and microfiber buffing towels to take care of that lint (and potential scratching) problem....
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 11:27 PM   #11
jgprather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapSmak View Post
Dont worry about the spots, they will come out with the first coat.
Your car is black, just do the z5 with Accelerator. Mix 1oz with 4 drops and shake for 60-90 seconds. You will get 3 coats out of that. Do a coat, let dry for 30-45 minutes, remove the coat and wipe the car down with gloss enhancer. do next coat, repeat. after all three coats are applied, do a coat of CS. it will look great and feel like a babies ass...my car has stayed 10 foot clean for a week, even with the rain.
When you say, "remove the coat," is that with a towel? And then I put the Gloss Enhancer on with an applicator? Also, are the clay bars re-usable?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to do this right. :smile: Some of the directions can be a little vague.
BMW CCA member #409683

Making fun contagious.®
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 11:43 PM   #12
SlapSmak
Private
Rep
Drives:

yes, remove the coat with a full size terry cloth towel, then use the gloss enhancer, spraying sections of about 12X12 and remove and buff with a microfiber towel. I did the whole car including lights and turn signal. be careful around rubber, like the seals around the windows. when you are finished with the gloss enhancer, walk around the car and make sure you didnt leave any Z5, it will show up hazy. remember, less is more. I did a full three coats with only 1oz of z5. when you have finished the last cycle of Z5 and Gloss enhancer, use the CS. spray a spritz on a clean applicator and then start the car. Do small sections, spray a small section and spread it out, using the body lines as your cut off points. I started drivers side hood and moved clockwise. you will see a rainbow as you spread the CS. you will see the rainbow as you coat the panel and it will dissappear as you continue on.
      09-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #13
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

You said brand new towels and lint, does that mean you did not wash the towels before use? Gotta do that with any towel. Most are shipped in chemically treated plastic (to prevent moisture, bacteria, etc). :wink:

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #14
esses
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
And then I put the Gloss Enhancer on with an applicator? Also, are the clay bars re-usable?
Spray the z6 (or z8!) directly on the car and use a cloth to buff and wipe off, one section at a time. Save the applicators for z2/z5. Clay bars are reusable until they just look nasty or have debris embedded in them.

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 10:09 PM   #15
Simon_135i
Collecting dust!
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 E82/135i  [0.00]
I just finished using the Z-AIO and then a coat of z6 and then CS... Perhaps I made a mistake but its not as smooth as I expect it would be. Would it help to apply another coat of z6?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 10:20 PM   #16
esses
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingh2daizzo View Post
I just finished using the Z-AIO and then a coat of z6 and then CS... Perhaps I made a mistake but its not as smooth as I expect it would be. Would it help to apply another coat of z6?
zAIO is a pretty light sealant, you at least want to follow up with z2. Smooth you get from clay and cleaning, not sealant or wax.

Zaino should make the surface very slick. If it feels slick and rough at the same time its definitely a cleaning issue. If it doesn't feel slick at all, might be a bad batch of zaino or it went on wrong.

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 10:27 PM   #17
Simon_135i
Collecting dust!
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 E82/135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by esses View Post
zAIO is a pretty light sealant, you at least want to follow up with z2. Smooth you get from clay and cleaning, not sealant or wax.

Zaino should make the surface very slick. If it feels slick and rough at the same time its definitely a cleaning issue. If it doesn't feel slick at all, might be a bad batch of zaino or it went on wrong.
I think its me... I will be washing the car with the z7 again tomorrow and following it up with the claybar. From what I read, I might not need to do the z6 and just go directly form the zAIO to Zclear... (I don't have the z2)...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 11:02 PM   #18
jgprather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I applied 2 coats; 2 of Z5 and 1 of Z2. I would have done one more coat of Z5 but I was worn out and hot. The Z2 is reluctant to buff out. Some sections of the car are still a little hazy, even tho I've rubbed them several times.

Any suggestions?

Other than that, the car and tires look great!
BMW CCA member #409683

Making fun contagious.®
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #19
barrchord
Rep
Drives:

I have not had any problems with z2 buffing out. Almost does not need any buffing. Two things come to mind- maybe you used too much or did not let cure long enough. Too much most likely. When I use Z2/z5 with the zano applicator pad, just a drop goes a long way. In fact, I just did my GMC Yukon and I only used about 3/4 oz for the entire truck- roof included. I also use z6 in between z2 or z5 coats.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 10:58 AM   #20
esses
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The Z2 is reluctant to buff out. Some sections of the car are still a little hazy, even tho I've rubbed them several times.
Z2 can go on very thin, less thin than the z5, and still work. If it is hard to buff out, wait longer or park in the sun. You don't want to be scrubbing it off, that can result in micro scratches.

If it is still hazy two things you can do: wipe clean with a towel that has been sprayed with z6 or use a spritzer with plain old water. Zaino is water-based so everything should dilute and wipe clear with enough water.

Quote:
Other than that, the car and tires look great!
Pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingh2daizzo View Post
I will be washing the car with the z7 again tomorrow and following it up with the claybar. From what I read, I might not need to do the z6 and just go directly form the zAIO to Zclear... (I don't have the z2)...
I agree, I would wash with dawn (since you've already washed recently, I would just do this really quick), spend some time with the claybar, quick wash with z7, zAIO, wait a couple hours, then zCS. Use the z6 as a quick detailer after that.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 11:14 AM   #21
jgprather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I probably applied too much. It was very hot and sunny, too. Thanks for the tips, I'm gonna wash it off as soon as I get home. I'll post pics tomorrow.
BMW CCA member #409683

Making fun contagious.®
Appreciate 0