BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-02-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
JC Jai
E.I.T
Rep
Drives:

Automatic(?) Carwashes...

I've read here and there on the forum and have the impression people do not like the drive-thru carwashes in gas stations and the likes. Any particular reasons why ? I am referring to the touchless types...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
Krugar
Cruising Daily
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I've heard they use more aggressive soaps that could eat away your wax faster and what not.. But Im not sure.
2008 BMW 135i - AR Catless DP - Agency Power Mids - Corsa Exhaust - KW v2 - Performance Side Skirts, Pedals, Steering Wheel, SSK. - CF Spoiler, Diffuser, Mirror Caps - Injen Intake - JB3 2.0 - CPE BOV Kit (HKS) - 6k HID AE - 6700k D1S - Evolution Racewerks FMIC -
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Jai View Post
I've read here and there on the forum and have the impression people do not like the drive-thru carwashes in gas stations and the likes. Any particular reasons why ? I am referring to the touchless types...
Gas station washes usually aren't touchless, usually they have some sort of spinning plastic thing that beats the hell out of your car and probably has not been cleaned or replaced since the day it was installed.

Touchless car washes usually aren't touchless either. Usually they have a couple guys with sheepskin mits to wash and a couple more using towels to dry. I've never even heard of a car wash that actually used fresh and clean mits (or anything else) for each car so you are looking at a good possibility of swirls and scratches.

Some things you have to watch out for at commercial car washes: dirty cleaning cloths, dirty drying cloths, harsh detergents, Armor All (inside and on the tires), spray on wax products, vacuum hoses scraping against the exterior of the car while someone vacuums as quickly as possible inside, overspray of window cleaner and tire cleaner (which are both bad for paint), and that damned "new car scent."

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

would you allow a kid to wash your car with zero training? Would you allow some person to "handle" your car who you don't know? Cause that is what carwash is...

The best way to know if your carwash is good, is park, watch, and ask questions... and if they can't do that... move on

2 years ago I purchased a power washer, thinking I would wash the car with it. I did, it was great. Then using it, I could see it could even cut skin. Do I want to use that on my 1? NO way. So, that is why most ppl here won't use carwashes if they don't want a bad wash. Even with the sharkfin, imagine the dryer going over that... you have no idea how good that thing is set for... it could damage it... is it worth it? Even if they pay for the fix, which I would doubt... is it worth the risk?

Lazy ppl do crazy things... I have yet to be lazy with my 1... hope that day never happens...

1 thing I do wonder is... what do we do when traveling and the car is covered in bird sh*t? I brought a bucket and other stuff last trip.. it was a good idea!

Now that would make a good seller... a BMW quality travel car wash... hmmm any takers?

EspressoBoy

PS
No royalties please, just send me a few samples eh?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
During the winter a touchless carwash is your freind.
      09-02-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
PeeJay
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 LSB 335i xDrive M Perf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspressoBoy View Post
1 thing I do wonder is... what do we do when traveling and the car is covered in bird sh*t? I brought a bucket and other stuff last trip.. it was a good idea!
When I travel, I keep a bottle of Quick Detailer and half a dozen micro fiber towels in the trunk to clean up the bug splatter, bird sh*t etc. Just spray on and wipe off.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #7
JC Jai
E.I.T
Rep
Drives:

I am referring to touchless carwashes...

and yes I agree that I won't let actual people to clean my own car, but I do refer to the brushless, touchless automatic car washes in gas stations. Most gas stations here in Edmonton are touchless, that's not really a new invention by all means
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Jai View Post
and yes I agree that I won't let actual people to clean my own car, but I do refer to the brushless, touchless automatic car washes in gas stations. Most gas stations here in Edmonton are touchless, that's not really a new invention by all means
Guess the gas stations are old school out here. :biggrin: If it truly is touchless then your only issue is whether the soap used has a high enough alkaline content to strip your wax or sealant (like dish soap does). If so, then your paint is completely unprotected when you leave the wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspressoBoy View Post
I stash z6 and a microfiber under the elastic band on the left side of the trunk (aka the fire extinguisher mount).

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 07:15 PM   #9
JD135i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I'll use a touchless car wash if (1) it's winter; or (2) it's summer and my car has lots of sand and/or grit on it that I want to clear off before I handwash. (Neither has happened yet w/ my 135.)

I agree with the previous posters' comments that even touchless washes are not ideal. Sometimes, though, I think they are better than the alternatives: not removing salt in winter, or using a mitt when there's lots of grit on the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 08:49 PM   #10
holo777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i Conv

Agree with the winter comments. But I also learned something, never knew that elastic band was for a fire extinguisher, my quick detailer went in there from day one. I figured that was what it was for.
Appreciate 0