BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-13-2008, 03:34 AM   #1
BMW Power
Pure Driving Pleasure
Rep
Drives:

South African BMW Dealers

Just thought I would start a thread recommending dealers, or not recommending them. For services sales and everything. Maybe we can help each other out by recommending the BMW dealers that give the best service so we don't have any bad experiences, but if we do have bad experiences we can let each other know about it. So leave your comments!

So I will start by saying BMW Auto Glen Motors (South Of Johannesburg, Oakdene area) gave me excellent service. I bought my car there and speak to them regularly and have made my first service there, which they fixed everything I asked for. Really top notch, kind service they gave :thumbup:
      08-13-2008, 05:23 AM   #2
Dewald
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 135i M DCT

Garage List
2010 135i M DCT  [0.00]
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Ok This is a great idea.

BMW Auto Bavaria is SHOCKING!!! Sales, services, General Inquires is really not even up to TATA standards. The only thing i would recommend is using there internal road to skip that robot that stays red for about 3 hours.
I do how ever get my parts from them as i get a discount.

As for the good ones, Lyndhurst Auto is not only Brilliant but they have been by far the most helpful, they even replaced the tale light of my X5 with out me even realizing that there was a fault or asking them to do it.
Oh and they have a couple really NICE Sales lady's on the floor .

BMW in Clear Watter is also very good.

As per BMW SA, Lyndhurst and Clear Watter are there Best Dealers Country Wide.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 05:54 AM   #3
120dredrum
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

i've seen a lot of Lyndhurst Auto stickers on the back of bmw's, probably more than any other dealer so I'm sure they must be good.. i went with Leo Haese Centurion.. got great service even though i was dressed like a pawper that day Will have to wait and see on the after-sales though.. as this is my first beemer..

I had phoned a few dealers about quotes, and none would offer a discount so decided to go with the one closest to me
      08-13-2008, 06:52 AM   #4
BMW Power
Pure Driving Pleasure
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewald View Post
Haha!

I forgot to mention I went to Lyndhurst Auto before I bought my car for a couple test drives, they were very helpful. So I agree with Dewald! They also offered me a decent discount on a car as well. I didn't take it though because BMW Auto Glen offered me an even better one :thumbup:. But never the less Lyndhurst Auto was fantastic
      09-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
Notion-Za
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 ZCP

hey guys! got my bm from BMW northcliff auto and all i can say is shocking!!! my father baught a 335i convertible at the same time so we did receive a nice discount! but the guy was new and forgot to ask me about a few options!!! luckily i knew wat i wanted so no regrets!

When i arrived to take a look at my car he hops into the drivers seat and started to rev my car!!! i was not impressed at all!

When my dad was taking delivery of his 335 convertible the salesman dropped the wind deflector onto the car and make a leka noise! i was not impressed at all! he was like a bull in a china shop!

one more story involving this dealership! when my dad has his E60 M5 taken in for an oil change the dealership kept the car there for a month! the head mechanic is a real jerK!

Both deliveries were made by the same salesman! im not taking my car close to that garage! and i suggest the same to yoU!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
SoulBladeZA
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notion-Za View Post
hey guys! got my bm from BMW northcliff auto and all i can say is shocking!!! my father baught a 335i convertible at the same time so we did receive a nice discount! but the guy was new and forgot to ask me about a few options!!! luckily i knew wat i wanted so no regrets!

When i arrived to take a look at my car he hops into the drivers seat and started to rev my car!!! i was not impressed at all!

When my dad was taking delivery of his 335 convertible the salesman dropped the wind deflector onto the car and make a leka noise! i was not impressed at all! he was like a bull in a china shop!

one more story involving this dealership! when my dad has his E60 M5 taken in for an oil change the dealership kept the car there for a month! the head mechanic is a real jerK!

Both deliveries were made by the same salesman! im not taking my car close to that garage! and i suggest the same to yoU!
Lol.

Use Club Motors Randburg or Auto Bavaria Midrand, they are the best :thumbup:

PS

Northcliff are wankers. They had an M3 EXACTLY like mine on the floor. Had 6000km, 2006, silver etc. They didn't want to sell it to me apparently, kept saying they might have a buyer for it, but when I asked the sales manager there wasn't even an OTP on the car yet. So I bought mine in East London, exact same car with 7000km. Made for a cool road trip back to Jhb though

3 weeks after I bought my car I drove past Northcliff and their M3 was still on the floor... Idiots.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 04:16 AM   #7
Dewald
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i M DCT  [0.00]
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBladeZA View Post
Lol.

Use Club Motors Randburg or Auto Bavaria Midrand, they are the best :thumbup:
Hi i have to disagree Auto Bavaria Midrand must be THE worst dealer in the country, one of my friends whent to buy am M3 there, he stood on the floor for 15 min waiting for some one to assist him, after awhile we got into a 330 cab and turned the radio on to get some attention, one of the sales guys come up to us and said " don't you want to turn that off its desturbing the customers" needless to say my mate left and baught a C55 AMG the next day.

I then whent to look at the new 135i there on a monday. I asked for a test drive and they told me that they did not have one for me to test, even tho there was one in the parking lot, which i acked about and the sales guy replyed with " Oh thats the DP's and she's on lunch cant i come back on satterday".

So im not to impressed with them.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #8
Ivor
Private
Rep
Drives:

Believe it or not.

BMW Welkom.

Wow my best new car buying experience ever. Dealt with a guy name Cordell and would recommend him to anyone
      10-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #9
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
Well, I've been extremely tolerant of Forsdicks Sandton, but have reached my saturation point with them. As for Hyde Park Auto, my brief experience with them on the Saturday that I took my car in (after the fuel pump died) was not good, although they were very helpful with my 325i when the key was stolen.

I've booked my car into Lyndhurst Auto (Melrose Arch) next week so I'm looking forward to seeing what they're like.

My fuel consumption is a lot higher than Dewalds' and others, so it should be interesting to see if they can find anything. They seemed extremely skeptical when I phoned to book it in, but after I started talking dirty (technical) with them they realised I wasn't a complete idiot.

Aside from codes relating to the fuel pump failure last time, there were no other fault codes. It will be interesting to see if they have the knowlege to check things like the MAF sensor readings, lambda sensor, boost pressure, etc, not just to see if they are out of range (which would trigger a fault code), but rather to see if they are relatively high or low (within range).

Annoyingly, they want the car for the whole day, as they cannot commit to have the computer available at a specific timeslot, but frankly I'm more interested in their technical ability then how long it takes, because issues like fuel consumption are notoriously complex, especially if there are no fault codes to use as a starting reference.

In the mean time, I'm averaging 19l per 100km, mostly city driving. And that's on 95 unleaded.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 02:28 AM   #10
Dewald
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i M DCT  [0.00]
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
19l per 100km is wors then the X5 4.8 ... that is bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 02:36 AM   #11
ghusheshe
135 Addict
South Africa
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

19l/100km??? That is bad my friend.. when I got my car, I was averaging 14l/100km.. it has since come down to about 11l/100km.. my car is under 10 000 km, so I expect it to come down even more.. my old 130 eventually came down to 9.8l/km... Have it checked...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 06:51 AM   #12
Woutervs
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewald View Post
Ok This is a great idea.

BMW Auto Bavaria is SHOCKING!!! Sales, services, General Inquires is really not even up to TATA standards. The only thing i would recommend is using there internal road to skip that robot that stays red for about 3 hours.
I do how ever get my parts from them as i get a discount.

As for the good ones, Lyndhurst Auto is not only Brilliant but they have been by far the most helpful, they even replaced the tale light of my X5 with out me even realizing that there was a fault or asking them to do it.

BMW in Clear Watter is also very good.

As per BMW SA, Lyndhurst and Clear Watter are there Best Dealers Country Wide.
Clearwater is good - they trying their best to sort out my diesel leak on my coupe... they have even opened a 'PUMA' case to get Germany involved. 10 out of 10 for effort! It started leaking diesel, has been in for repairs 6 times already, they cant seem to get the fault. Going in later today, hopefully this time they can sort it out - getting a 335i in the meantime whilst they try and sort it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 03:20 PM   #13
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
I took my car to Lyndhurst on Wednesday...

Have to say, their overall service was better than anything I've experienced at any other dealer (including non-BMW). As I drove it, they welcomed me by name (they had a printout of registration vs customer name for all booked cars). The service advisor was friendly and attended to me promptly. The wait for a lift was relatively short (just enough to have a cuppacino and read some of the morning paper) and - this is a first - they also fetched me in the afternoon when the car was ready. During the course of the day, they kept me advised on progress.

HOWEVER, they were unable to find what the issue with my fuel consumption was. And they didn't do some of the things I asked like checking if sensor readings (air-fuel mixture, lambda, etc.) were slightly high/low (but not far out enough to throw a fault code). Unlike any other dealer, they actually did take the effort to drive the car (I saw 5km extra on the odo).

So 10 out of 10 for effort, but 0 out of 10 for delivery...

PS. It is definitely not my right foot to blame...I self-imposed a rev-limit of 2,500rpm on Saturday (which was about as much fun as a visit to the dentist) and still only managed to average 15.2l/100km.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 01:46 AM   #14
Dewald
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i M DCT  [0.00]
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
GMZA , Do you have any print outs or data you can send me of the fault codes or readings?
If you do email me on dewald@fanatx.co.za and ill see what i can find out.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 11:37 PM   #15
C Africa
Not So Junior Member
Rep
Drives:

So they test drove your car

I would not necessarily see that as a good point. Two days after getting my M3 back from those sharks at Melrose, the gearbox went and it was diagnosed as "some-one must have given this car a real whipping" (which can only be the mechanics at Melrose "test driving" it). Impossible to proove of course but it does start to add up because after a previous service, the fuel pump stopped and after the next one the Vanos started acting up (all outside motor plan). One starts wondering if they maybe swopped out your good parts for faulty parts during a service? Naughty thought but just too many coincidences for me to swallow. I avoid them at all costs now.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #16
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
Dewald: there are no fault codes. Everything seems peachy!

It seems that I've overlooked probably the most obvious thing of all: that I almost always fill up at the same petrol station and, when I have filled up elsewhere, I haven't specifically checked the consumption.

I'm on a fresh tank from another petrol station and am going to see how things go this week, so that I can rule out the case of the station diluting their fuel or selling 93 as 95.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 05:03 AM   #17
Dewald
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i M DCT  [0.00]
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Well maybe?
let me know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 09:24 PM   #18
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
Looks promising! My average is sitting at 15.2, which is a 20% drop! That's on short trips too. It was looking fantastic when I did freeway driving, but I reset it afterwards so I could compare apples with apples.

If this was the issue all along, I'm going to kick myself. Ironically I always try and stick to one fuelling station because I've heard so many complaints about fuel contamination. Silly of me not to consider that the one I was using would be problematic. This may also explain why the fuel pump died so early and not at ~20,000km.

I wonder if one can get a fuel sample analysed? If the station is screwing with the fuel, I'd really like to get the owner thrown in jail.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 12:09 PM   #19
BMW Power
Pure Driving Pleasure
Rep
Drives:

Just want to let you guys know, my last service with BMW Auto Glen did not go well. Took them two days to change my tyres and they blamed it on me for not bringing the tyres 10min earlier... Really 10min!!! And they lost my key, I sat for an hour waiting for them to find it. I get in my car and there is no petrol and the radio is on YFM, which I don't listen to. Passenger seat was also adjusted... I have such a feeling someone drove it. 60km worth of petrol too... Top it all off my car now has swirl marks on every single panel. Thanks BMW Auto Glen

Please no one go there for anything... Sales or whatever. Use anything else
      11-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #20
turner23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

The BMW Store: Cincinnati, Ohio

Have not had any MAJOR service yet (only 3700 miles so far), but my experience so far with sales, parts, and service at The BMW Store - Cincinnati, Ohio, and all top notch.

Highly Recommended!!!!

My next BMW will definitely come from The BMW Store!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #21
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
*sigh*

Despite the apparent giddyness of half of Kenya at Obama's er<-lection, I think most of us in this "Africa" regional forum are from South Africa and will gladly endure lousy dealer service for the joy of being able to do disgusting speeds without the risk of spending the rest of our adult lives in prison.

So for now, I'll give BMW Store, Cincinnati, Ohio a skip.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 03:00 PM   #22
rherd
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 e90 330d A Sport Pack

Hi guys, I've owned 9 BMs over the years and I would rate the following dealerships:

Bruma Auto
Auto Alpina Boksburg and Springs
JSN Motors
Club Motors Randburg
Auto Bavaria Midrand

As much as this might be useful it is very much related to the person you dealt with at the time so my experience will most certainly differ from others based on the salesman, service technician or DP no longer being there.

What we could get out of this is some sort of average which might be useful.

On a service related issue, my wife has an E91 320d Touring with ACS chip. Ever since it hit 50,000kms it needs a service every 10,000kms - luckily I'm not paying...