BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
///M ichael
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: HiAce

KW V1 Vs H&R Sport Springs

Hi Addicts!
I need some help here....

My 1 is not my DD, I use it after work and weekends ect. and no track days.. yet!
So is KW V1 an overkill, or just buy H&R Sport Springs with stock M-suspension!

Later I will ad SSTT or Noelle Motor software with new IC.

-Thx
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I think if your currently looking for an cosmetic upgrade, then just go for the springs. Once you start doing track days, you can decided to maybe upgrade to V1, or V3
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

IMO springs+sways > v1 as far as handling/$

however, I have not driven a 1 with v1 so take that with a grain of salt
      08-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
RoninWheels
Mr. Brand Loyalist
Rep
Drives: 1M,M2cs

skip on the just the H&R. either springs and shocks or coilovers
      08-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

How is that compare to BMW's performance package which included sping, shocks and sway bars.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninWheels View Post
skip on the just the H&R. either springs and shocks or coilovers
Agreed. It will save you time and money down the road.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Given that you are not planning on tracking the car and are not after a setup where you need to dial in your own settings, I think a spring or spring/shock combo would be more than suitable. Time and time again I see forum members go with Coilovers just because everyone else is and they are the most expensive setup on the block. There is no reason to spend the extra money on an adjustable coilover setup if you are not going to take advantage of the adjustments.

A spring/shock combo would give you the added performance upgrade and lowered ride height without the premium for an adjustable suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #8
RoninWheels
Mr. Brand Loyalist
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
How is that compare to BMW's performance package which included sping, shocks and sway bars.
The bmw performance suspension is a nice upgrade... but no comparison for the kw.... it honestly depends on the purpose of you lowering the car. If you are looking for slightly improved handling and a very slight drop in ride height go for the bmw performance. If your main goal is performance and you'd like to be able to adjust the suspension whether your going to the track or buying some wheels down the road then go with the KW.
      08-12-2008, 11:37 PM   #9
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
Given that you are not planning on tracking the car and are not after a setup where you need to dial in your own settings, I think a spring or spring/shock combo would be more than suitable. Time and time again I see forum members go with Coilovers just because everyone else is and they are the most expensive setup on the block. There is no reason to spend the extra money on an adjustable coilover setup if you are not going to take advantage of the adjustments.

A spring/shock combo would give you the added performance upgrade and lowered ride height without the premium for an adjustable suspension.
Totally agree with the above !!!

Having had and gone every way suspension wise with numerous previous cars and being a member of numerous car type forums, the above is absolutely true...I've even suggested similar on a similar thread in the Aust. sub forum section.

///M ichael - follow the above advice and you can't go wrong :wink:
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 08:49 AM   #10
///M ichael
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Thanks Addicts!

Got some Danish prices:
KW V1 with install = $3000
KW V2 with install = $4000

What springs/shock combo?? H&R Sport/OE and Koni....
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #11
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I don't think my 135 will see tracks often. I've just wanted my car to have a firmer ride and lesser body roll. Also, my budget is very limited (like less than $1000). Will a set of sport springs will do the trick?
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 01:43 PM   #12
Ron@Modbargains
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996TT/ae86

Even if the car doesn't see its days on the track. Honestly a coilover will do a lot more, go with the KW. It's going to be slightly more then a spring & shock combo - besides install will be the same. You'll get height adjustability, proper arm length and movement, a truly paired up spring and shock combo, and if you go with V2 you can do like dampening adjustments and so forth.

You're getting so much more with a coilover even on the street - that your going to benefit a lot more. Plus KW's lifetime warranty just makes it that much sweeter. Don't be surprised that after a year of just springs your shocks blow out.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #13
RoninWheels
Mr. Brand Loyalist
Rep

You must have one hell of a bargain on kw's if you can hook him up with something for less than $1k.
:wink:
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #14
///M ichael
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron************ View Post
Even if the car doesn't see its days on the track. Honestly a coilover will do a lot more, go with the KW. It's going to be slightly more then a spring & shock combo - besides install will be the same. You'll get height adjustability, proper arm length and movement, a truly paired up spring and shock combo, and if you go with V2 you can do like dampening adjustments and so forth.

You're getting so much more with a coilover even on the street - that your going to benefit a lot more. Plus KW's lifetime warranty just makes it that much sweeter. Don't be surprised that after a year of just springs your shocks blow out.
It will be KW V1 or ...... This
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #15
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M ichael View Post
Thanks Addicts!

Got some Danish prices:

Wow is that USD???
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 09:19 AM   #16
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M ichael View Post
Thanks Addicts!

Got some Danish prices:

I would go with Koni Sport (yellow) Single Adjustable struts/shocks (BTW, for the rears get the top adjustable version if possible, otherwise you must remove the rears to change adjustment). Another choice could be the Koni FSD "self-adjusting" units.

Then the H&R OE Sport springs because the 1" drop is just right to my way of thinking.
      08-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #17
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Totally agree with the above !!!
I totally disagree with above !!!

Adjustments or not, a quality coilover (ie, KW V1) has separate dampening characteristics for high vs. low frequency bumps. In laymans terms, it'll increase the ride quality (unlike springs only) and at the same time make the car handle as if on rails.
      08-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #18
Noize
Under the radar
United_States
Rep
Drives: FWD in reverse

Please don't lower the car on the stock sport shocks. Within 15,000 miles, they'll be mostly ruined and the car will ride like a hog wagon. If you want a marked improvement in handling, get larger tires up front, get appropriate sways, and get a hot alignment. Coilovers if you want to really go for it.

Friends don't let friends put lowering springs on stock shocks.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 06:01 AM   #19
sf42ninetysixx
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinweiß View Post
Please don't lower the car on the stock sport shocks. Within 15,000 miles, they'll be mostly ruined and the car will ride like a hog wagon. If you want a marked improvement in handling, get larger tires up front, get appropriate sways, and get a hot alignment. Coilovers if you want to really go for it.

Friends don't let friends put lowering springs on stock shocks.
Haha, I've got to use this as my sig.

"Please don't lower the car on the stock sport shocks. Within 15,000 miles, they'll be mostly ruined and the car will ride like a hog wagon."
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #20
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I do not believe the above statement. I have cars with after market sport spring and my stock shocks still good after 65K miles and still going strong.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #21
320Devil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 17 X5M

I agree. I had RSR lowering sport springs on my 350Z for about 50K miles. Those particular springs only lowered the car 3/4ths of an inch, but even with 60K miles on the car when I sold it the stock shocks were hanging in there just fine.

Quote:
I do not believe the above statement. I have cars with after market sport spring and my stock shocks still good after 65K miles and still going strong.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 08:33 PM   #22
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
I can pretty much state with confidence that any OE shock at 65K miles is toast, after market springs or not. Put new shocks on, even OE, and you to will be a believer.