BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
mergen
Upstart
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

1st time for me at a track - This is very long, better sit down...

So, this is a review of my first track experience. Understand that this is coming from a person who has never even been to a track of any kind much less driven on one. I've also never owned any kind of car that was anything more than basic, reliable transportation. I've driven two Saturn wagons, a Saturn coupe, a long line of pickup trucks and various other cars, but never have I owned anything close to this 135i that I now drive. After 60 years, mostly spent fooling around with boats and planes, I finally passed on all of that and got a nice car instead. So, if any of this sounds a bit hysterical, that's why.

The first thing that happened, after logging about 4000 miles on the car, I got an email from BMW CCA announcing that a Driver Education event was being held at a track in my area. I never even knew this track existed until then. The sponsors made it sound like it would be fun, so I signed up, borrowed a helmet and showed up at the track on the day of the event. When I borrowed the helmet, I told the guys that I may never do this again so I didn't really want to buy a helmet for this. They just looked at each other and laughed.

Before track day arrived I had several concerns about this event. One big concern was that I might damage my car. I got some reassurance from other participants and organizers that the event rules would keep things reasonably safe. This turned out to be very true. It was as safe as any event that requires that you wear a helmet can be, I guess. The rules include passing on straightaways only and only after getting permission from passee. All of the drivers in the beginners section were very careful and obeyed the rules well. I passed a bunch of cars and a bunch of cars passed me and all were done safely. Most of the cars were daily drivers with their numbers taped on the window with electric tape, like me. That made me feel better.

My next concern was that we would get out on the track and the instructor would take us on a "joy ride" around the track so we could say we had been on a race track, and then we could all go home. Well, that fear was totally unfounded. Once the instructor realized that I was willing to really get on it in my car, it became his mission to get us around the track as fast as we possibly could, within the limits of safety of course. He pushed me hard and I pushed the car hard. All three of us loved it. The car was really at home on the track, I was having a ball and the instructor was too, especially when everything started to click for me. The first part of the track became familiar right away, but it took most of the day to get familiar with the last few turns. I kept getting confused as to where I was until the last run. It was really getting to be fun by then. The hardest part for me was judging speeds. I had trouble deciding when to brake for turns and how much to slow down. I gradually improved as the laps went by, but it still remains a major concern for me. I also noticed as time went on that the instructor had no experience at all with Steptronic transmissions. I had to explain to him how D, DS and M work. He seemed somewhat amused, but had no complaints. I didn't either. Most everything happened in 3rd gear, going to 4th on the long straight occasionally. It really allowed me to focus on other things, most of which were coming at me pretty fast.

The track was in very good condition and the entire facility, No Problem Raceway in Belle Rose, LA, was a top notch operation. I was expecting to maybe find a patched together track carved out in the middle of some cane field, but this place is the real deal. The track is 1.8 miles long, with 14 turns. There are two long straights and two shorter ones, all good enough for passing. Having zero experience with tracks, I have nothing to compare it to, but I was pleasantly surprised at the track conditions and the support facilities too.

After a driver's meeting and some more classes for the beginners we got together with our instructors and went on the track. We made two runs, broke for lunch, then we were allowed to go solo at slow speed around the track for awhile. This is also the time that you can take passengers, etc. This was very useful, allowing me to focus on the track and everything else I had learned. After that run was over, They strapped me into the instructor's car, an E30 track car (I think!), and we took off. Before we left, he instructed me to give a thumbs down sign if I started feeling bad or having problems. Boy, when he said that I knew this was going to be something, and it was. It was two thumbs up all the way, too. I would have gladly paid the entry fee just to do that. It was a blast. Right up there with a few other really cool things I've done. I'll never forget it. We got in behind his brother and stayed about 2 inches behind him all the way around the track. Actually it was probably a few feet, but seemed like 2 inches to me. These guys spend most of their free time driving and instructing at these DE events all over the country, and they are pretty good at it. I learned a lot riding with him.

After more or less getting over that, we got back in my car and got after it again. He warned me to not drive like he had just been driving and we would be OK. Sounded like good advice and I took it. I did learn to brake harder and a few other techniques from watching a "real' driver in action, which made it more fun. He emphasized the importance of executing the turns properly and how coming out of a turn properly sets you up for the next turn. If you don't come out of a turn in proper shape, a lot of what you already know about the next turn becomes irrelevant. That concept was not hard to grasp once experienced, especially if you are really getting after it, which is the point of the whole thing anyway. As the day went on, the instructor saw that he didn't have to point out when I had messed up. He could tell that I was able to see for myself what I had done wrong, before he could say anything. It wasn't hard to do. He liked that.

I'm going to resist the temptation to "go on and on" about how great the car did on the track. Anyone reading this already knows or has heard this all before. These cars really were made to run, though. We left a lot of tire and brake pad material behind, but otherwise there was no harm done. I never felt like the car was getting abused in any way. It seemed to like it.

We did a couple of more sessions after lunch when my "low fuel" warning came on. I was stunned. I showed up with 3/4 tank, not wanting to lug a bunch of fuel around the track. I never imagined we would burn it all up, but we did. I could have gone down the road and refueled but I was starting to tire and took the fuel situation as a sign that it was time to wind it up, so I did.

Aside from the actual driving, the whole event was great. The BMW CCA members were VERY nice and friendly. Of course, there was a fair amount of attention and interest in my car since none of them had ever really seen a "1" before. Everybody commented on how much roomier the interior is than they expected. I guess they heard it was smaller. I got the feeling that even if they had hated the car, they would have still said it was nice. Everybody was very friendly and supportive of each other. Normally, I don't find myself getting around groups of new people too much, but these folks were really easy to hang out with and made the whole thing that much better.

Well, those are the high points of the day. On the 45 minute drive back to my house, I quickly realized that I would need to set the cruise control if I wanted to get home ticket free. I set it at 55 mph and felt like I could get out and walk home faster, but I finally got there. I let the car cool down then washed it. Then it was time to take the numbers off of the window. I really wanted to leave them on there for awhile, but I was afraid that the tape would damage the glass so I peeled them off.

I guess I should think about getting my own helmet now.

Here are a few pics.
If I'd known that my phone took such good pics, I'd have taken more, and better.

This is me, #71

No Problem Raceway

Instructor's car, #17

#71, in the carport.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

very good story. I hope you submitted it to your chapter newsletter. they should publish it for everyone in your chapter to read.

The good news is that BMW brake pads are covered under warranty. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #3
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

Welcome to the Slippery Slope. The helmet is just the beginning......
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Nice writeup mergen!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
mdynamics
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, X3 & 325e

great writeup made me miss track days!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Just makes me want to finally go to a track day! Never been to one but looking forward to it when I get back to the good ol' US of A!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
mergen
Upstart
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
Just makes me want to finally go to a track day! Never been to one but looking forward to it when I get back to the good ol' US of A!
That's exactly why I posted this, to encourage others to give it a try. I almost backed out and I'm SO glad that I didn't.

Thanks for all comments folks.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 06:30 AM   #8
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Great writeup! I hope you submitted it to your local chapter's newsletter/monthly rag. Our chapter's editor is always looking for pieces exactly like this.

Also, glad you had fun and we're bitten by the bug. :smile:
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your first track experience, mergen. It's great to have an active BMWCCA or SCCA club close by. Hope you continue your driving experience, and it looks like you are sold on it.
      08-02-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Great story!

I wonder if we have something like that in Sweden...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #11
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethchan View Post
I wonder if we have something like that in Sweden...

BMW Sweden is having an event today and tomorrow at Ring Knutstorp. Call the track to find out what clubs run there, and when. They also list something called "Safety Driving" on that site, that it looks like you can sign up for that is similar to our events here.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 03:42 AM   #12
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Great write-up, geez, I relate to you experience in spades...thanks for taking the time!

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 06:34 PM   #13
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Thanks. I bit too far away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
BMW Sweden is having an event today and tomorrow at Ring Knutstorp. Call the track to find out what clubs run there, and when. They also list something called "Safety Driving" on that site, that it looks like you can sign up for that is similar to our events here.

...this time.

But wait until next year!

(That should be "A" bit too far away, but I can't edit a headline.)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #14
3toM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EB Msport

Enjoyed the write-up. Reminds me of how I felt last year during my first time on a track at a local BMW performance driving school, driving M coupes, M5's and M6's at the California Speedway.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #15
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

hook, line, and sinker.

i was at a bmwcca hpde at road atlanta a couple of years ago. my instructor was about my age (40), and he and his dad were both there as instructors.

i asked him if his dad had gotten him into cars at a young age. he said "nah- once i became an instructor, i got my dad into driving, and now he's just started instructing himself."
Appreciate 0