BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-09-2008, 01:12 AM   #1
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Zaino with orbitals

Zaino doesn't require orbital, but can I get same or better result if I use Griot's orbital with zaino? Or would the Zaino compound be too harsh for machine application? I am thinking of buying a Griot's 6" orbital.
      07-09-2008, 06:40 AM   #2
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
Zaino doesn't require orbital, but can I get same or better result if I use Griot's orbital with zaino? Or would the Zaino compound be too harsh for machine application? I am thinking of buying a Griot's 6" orbital.
it will work better...just need to use correct settings...(not sure how they are on the griots orbital)...start with lower setting and move up if necessary...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
Nice1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82

Zaino Z2/Z5 wipes on and buffs out easily without an orbital. If you need an orbital to buff, you might be putting on too much sealant. I'd say reserve the orbital for polishing.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

I have the 6" and the 3" orbital from Griots. I am constantly amazed at how useful the 3" one is for all those little areas, like the bumpers.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

I would use an orbital only for polishing. I would recommend Menzerna products(finishing polish) for use with an orbital.

Follow this with a hand application of Zaino.

I see no benefit of using an orbital and Zaino (unless your using the ZP Fusion or maybe the Z-AIO). The Z-2/Z-5 have no abbrasives and require very little product. You would probably end up with way to much product if using an orbital.
      07-09-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

From: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...Q&Store_Code=Z

Q: Can I use an orbital polisher to apply/remove Zaino polish?
A: Yes, you can use an orbital to apply Zaino Z-2, Z-3, or Z-5. I don't recommend it because you waste too much polish that way. The pad on an eleven inch polisher can absorb almost enough polish to coat your entire vehicle. Each time you use an orbital to apply Zaino polish, you are probably wasting as much polish, if not more than you actually applied to the car.
Zaino polish applies easily by hand, especially if you dampen the applicator pad with water and spritz it with Z-6 before applying it.
If you use an orbital to remove the residue, you should place a white, 100% cotton towel between the pad and the paint, and keep it turned and refolded often so that you are removing the residue with a clean section of towel all the time.
Note: A single orbital pad WILL NOT remove the polish residue from an entire vehicle. You will have smears if you don't use a towel and turn and refold it frequently.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #7
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Thanks esses, I should have thought of checking zaino's webpage first.

I have this small blemish on the hood because my water hose went over the hood when I was washing it and I am dying to get it off. (micro scratches on the clear coat.)
      07-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #8
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

I know how that goes. I had a small mark on my roof when I received the car - looked like someone threw something plastic against the roof and it scraped. No one else ever noticed, and I didn't notice until I got the car home, but once I did I SAW IT EVERY SINGLE TIME I CAME NEAR THE CAR. Claybar was the answer.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 11:27 PM   #9
Nice1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82

Quote:
I have this small blemish on the hood because my water hose went over the hood when I was washing it and I am dying to get it off. (micro scratches on the clear coat.)
In this case polishing with an orbital will be appropriate before Z2/Z5. Without polishing, Zaino can actually make those little scratches more visible.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 07:27 AM   #10
imported_volsfan0911
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I've tried putting on Zaino with a PC7424 and it really is a waste. Takes as long plus you have to clean the pads, etc. The only exception to that is Z-PC Fusion (their only abrasive product) which is fantastic when machine applied. It cleaned up and polished out my GF's black TSX to a swirl free mirror, followed up by Z-5 and Z-2 PRO/Z-6 by hand. But, I use the Zaino applicators and MF towels from DD's for Z-5/Z-2 and Z-6 buffing. Can do the whole car in 30 minutes by hand after it's washed. Read the website instructions carefully and don't use too much product. You really want the thinnest layer you can apply and it'll dry then buff off quickly and easily.
Appreciate 0