BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-24-2008, 04:43 AM   #1
dayo
Rep
Drives:

would z2pro/zfx affect new car clear coat?

i'm noob in detailing - so pls bear with this simple question: for new car paint work with dealer's touch up stuff, is it better to wait 2-3 months til some impurities affect the paint before zainoed or better zainoed right away?

my basic concern is that i've been hearing that waxing takes some clear coat layer off - so it's not good idea to detailing for new paint... on the other school of thought, detailing rightaway will protect the paint incl. the clear coat...

help pls!

btw, my car is AW, generally parked under shade, though bird shits often a problem as well as my house is near a park...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 06:30 AM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayo View Post
i'm noob in detailing - so pls bear with this simple question: for new car paint work with dealer's touch up stuff, is it better to wait 2-3 months til some impurities affect the paint before zainoed or better zainoed right away?

my basic concern is that i've been hearing that waxing takes some clear coat layer off - so it's not good idea to detailing for new paint... on the other school of thought, detailing rightaway will protect the paint incl. the clear coat...

help pls!

btw, my car is AW, generally parked under shade, though bird shits often a problem as well as my house is near a park...
Do it right away, the paint is already several weeks old by the time the car gets to you.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

Your car is AW, so your really not going to see a whole lot of paint defects. They will be there, just not as visible. If you use Z5 and Z2, there are no abbrasives in the sealant, so your not removing any clear coat.

So for your purposes, get your new AW car, wash it, and Zaino it with Z5 then Z2.
      06-24-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
///M ichael
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: HiAce

Z5 is for dark colors..... Z2 is for white, silver ect.

I only go for Z2 (but my car is silver)

: The internet for Z5 Vs Z2

First time for me with Zaino and detailing....
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #5
Nice1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82

Z5 can be used for light colors, the main difference is that it has more swirl fillers than Z2.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
dayo
Rep
Drives:

sounds good - thx guys - i'll go into detailing shop more confident now.... likely i go with 3x z2pro/zfx + zcs

another question: to maintain the effect, better to go to once a week full body wash with soap, or daily wet cloth cleaning (there's a guy in my carpark who's doing it for reasonable price)?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 09:08 PM   #7
Nice1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82

Quote:
sounds good - thx guys - i'll go into detailing shop more confident now.... likely i go with 3x z2pro/zfx + zcs

another question: to maintain the effect, better to go to once a week full body wash with soap, or daily wet cloth cleaning (there's a guy in my carpark who's doing it for reasonable price)?
I would wash at least once a week with Z-7 and a Z-6/Z-8 wipedown after drying. I wouldn't trust wet cloth cleaning-- if you have any fair amount of dust or any loose contaminants, you would want it to be washed off by sheeting it with water rather than mopping it off.

I would also suggest a regular topping of Z2. How often you do so will entirely depend on you, but I do it once a month. Remember, a little goes a long way- you should be able to do your car with about 1 ounce of Z2/Z5.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Quote:
I give mine a 15 min wash with z7 once a week. 1/2 a cap of z7 and a gallon of water, park in the sun and wipe off with a microfiber. No spots, just gloss. Ill z8 if I have another 30 mins to blow. Then people are afraid to brush up against my car - get their clothes wet.

Appreciate 0