BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
Kokanator135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: seeking m240i

Recommendation for Hotel and Nice dinner in Carmel, CA

Not a local, so I was wondering if someone could give me a recommendation for a reasonably priced hotel and nice restaurant in Carmel, CA. I'm visiting from Pittsburgh, PA, and driving from LA to stop in Carmel overnight before going on to San Francisco. I'm driving up PCH, so something convenient to that would be nice. Also bringing the parents and my daughter, so wines not a big deal.

If anyone also knows what I should hit up in a half-day in San Fran, including a nice lunch place. I know that's not a lot of time, but we're supposed to have dinner with a friend in San Jose(?) - so many San's, sorry:iono::wink: - then continue driving back to LA.

Unfortunately not bringing the one - cross-country and don't think the 4 of us could tolerate that long of a drive in those confines!! I'm hoping Enterprise gives me a nice "premium" car that's a good road-trip car.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I wanted some expert opinions, and everyone here has already proven their great taste in cars!!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Carmel?

Depends on what you are looking for. My favorite place there is actually Chinese, called Tommy's Wok. Best Chinese outside of San Francisco. Only problem is finding it, the review has pretty good directions.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tommys-wok-carmel

Another good place is da Giovanni. Wonderful Italian.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/da-giovanni-carmel

Another on of my Carmel fav's is Cafe Rustica.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-rustica-carmel-valley

Whatever you do, do NOT go to Tarpy's or any place on Cannery Row/any of the tourist locations in Monterey. It is all overpriced crap. If you want any suggestions for Monterey/PG, let me know.

As for lodging... I dunno, never had to look for hotels I'm sure any of them will be decent. However, tourist season is in full tilt so get reservations NOW.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
All4One
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135icp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanator135 View Post
Not a local, so I was wondering if someone could give me a recommendation for a reasonably priced hotel and nice restaurant in Carmel, CA. I'm visiting from Pittsburgh, PA, and driving from LA to stop in Carmel overnight before going on to San Francisco. I'm driving up PCH, so something convenient to that would be nice. Also bringing the parents and my daughter, so wines not a big deal.

If anyone also knows what I should hit up in a half-day in San Fran, including a nice lunch place. I know that's not a lot of time, but we're supposed to have dinner with a friend in San Jose(?) - so many San's, sorry:iono::wink: - then continue driving back to LA.

Unfortunately not bringing the one - cross-country and don't think the 4 of us could tolerate that long of a drive in those confines!! I'm hoping Enterprise gives me a nice "premium" car that's a good road-trip car.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I wanted some expert opinions, and everyone here has already proven their great taste in cars!!

Lunch at http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/ near carmel.

Carmel place, try Hyatt Regency Monterey (mainly for golf buffs though-special offers once in a while )

Take the ferry at SF (pier 39?) go to sausalito, lunch at http://www.scomassausalito.com/about-us.html or just drive to sausalito via the golden gate marin headlands. No time at all, enjoy their SF resto.

Enjoy, these are just my quick picks.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
gan08
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fatty X5 and Pot-bellied 135

Fish House in Monterey. Fairly small restaurant, always packed. I believe it is on Del Paso Blvd.

Enjoy your trip and drive safe.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Outside of Carmel - the Baja Cantina - a car guy's place!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #6
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Where exactly are you eating at in San Jose? Many restaurants here can be a hit or miss!

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Nice? Well there is the Carmel Chop House, gets really good reviews. I've never been, but I would if I was in the area. Also says its a must if you're out for a vacation.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #8
Kokanator135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!! I wanted to avoid the 'touristy' spots, especially with such a short time frame. I'll see if I can keep an eye out for hotels and get a reservation in Carmel of Monterey....the Fish House sounds good.

I'm actually eating dinner with a family friend in San Jose, so that's covered. Still looking for suggestions as far as maximizing my half-day in San Fran, however. A friend had mention some Pier or street next to a pier where there would be great street vendors for fresh food, which would be ideal with 3 different tastes....anyone know the name or location?

Thanks...and keep 'em coming!!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 09:30 PM   #9
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

You can go touristy if you want and hit up Pier 39, there is tons of food there. Or you could go to my favorite spot on the water, its near the ball park, its called Red's Java Hut, best double cheeseburger, its a real basic menu, burgers, dogs and sandwiches, but if its a nice day, grab a beer and sit right on the water. Just make sure whatever you get, get it on a roll.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 01:56 AM   #10
Heinzftw
Major
Rep

Please make my day and don't go touristy. SF is only 7 miles across, but has some of the best dinning in California. Take a look into going to the North Beach District. The Stinking Rose and North Beach Pizza are always a win win.

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 02:32 AM   #11
Peerless135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

One of my favorites italian restaurants in carmel is Piatti's not cheap but not overpriced either. As for lodging if you want a decent priced room i'd aim more for Monterey than Carmel as your gonna pay more in Carmel.
Its too bad your not driving your one up the PCH i'm picking mine up next month in san louis obispo and doing the drive!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 07:21 AM   #12
Kokanator135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerless135 View Post
Its too bad your not driving your one up the PCH i'm picking mine up next month in san louis obispo and doing the drive!

I'm so jealous I'm not driving my one, esp as I just passed 1200 and can let her loose !!

I did wind up at a small hotel in Monterey, which users on hotels.com had given 5/5 ratings (Anton Inn in Pacific Grove). I also hedged my bets and made reservations for 3 places to eat at 3 different times, depending on how the drive up goes .

I wish my trip wasn't so jam-packed, I'd definitely meet up with someone for a :drinking:.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #13
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
Please make my day and don't go touristy. SF is only 7 miles across, but has some of the best dinning in California. Take a look into going to the North Beach District. The Stinking Rose and North Beach Pizza are always a win win.
You want him to not go touristy, but you want him to go to the stinking rose or NB Pizza? That's pretty funny. If you like Italian food, just walk around north beach and go into any restaurant you see, it will be good. The Marina is also a pretty good place to wander around and find good food.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #14
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

It's been awhile since I have been to that area, so I hope my recommendations are still there.

I wish I knew the name, but it's in Carmel and it's a small German restaurant north of the main street that runs straight through town. It's a small town, ask any local and you will get where it is. That's how we got informed about it.

My wife and I walked up to the door, it's a smallish attached building, and we were greated by a nice lady. She asked if we had reservations, we looked past her and saw a TOTALLY empty room, but we politely said no we did not. We thought she was nuts asking. She seated us anyway. We were about to bolt, because frankly, the set up was just "odd". In no more than 15-20 minutes the place was JAM PACKED with people and we proceeded to eat one of our most favortie meals EVER from ANYWHERE. IMO California Reislings suck though, but that was not their fault, some people like them.

Clint Eastwoods "Restaurant/Motel" setup was suprisingly good too. We ate there twice in two different years. Both times the food and service were well above average, though not spectacular.

In Pacific Grove we had another great dinner at the Sardine Factory. This place could be construed as a bit touristy, but the food and service was excellent. And the sommelier set us up with a note card with our wine label since it was our anniversary that evening.

We will definately go back to these places the next time we are in that area if they are still around.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #15
Heinzftw
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewpac View Post
You want him to not go touristy, but you want him to go to the stinking rose or NB Pizza? That's pretty funny. If you like Italian food, just walk around north beach and go into any restaurant you see, it will be good. The Marina is also a pretty good place to wander around and find good food.
It's not as touristy as pier 39.. :respekt:

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 01:49 PM   #16
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
It's not as touristy as pier 39.. :respekt:
Those places sure are.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 03:23 PM   #17
gan08
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fatty X5 and Pot-bellied 135

For breakfast in Carmel, Em Le's restaurant is on top of my list.
Dolores between 5th and 6th.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 03:23 PM   #18
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

I was born and razed (sic) in Monterey, and even though I now live in Indianapolis as often as I go back I'm sure there isn't any joint on the Peninsula I haven't frequented.

If you want a restaurant with a breath-taking view you'll want to try either the Pacific's Edge (pretty $$$$$) or California Market at Carmel Highlands Inn. It's about 5 minutes to the south of Carmel on the PCH so it's a real short hop.

Another good place for grub is The Carmel Mission Ranch. Great Rack of Lamb, and the Swordfish is delish, too. An added benie is it's owned by Clint Eastwood and he is known to stop by just about every evening around sundown for a nightcap.

If you do run into him take my advice and don't tell him he doesn't look like such a tough guy anymore.

:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 03:46 PM   #19
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
I was born and razed (sic) in Monterey, and even though I now live in Indianapolis as often as I go back I'm sure there isn't any joint on the Peninsula I haven't frequented.

If you want a restaurant with a breath-taking view you'll want to try either the Pacific's Edge (pretty $$$$$) or California Market at Carmel Highlands Inn. It's about 5 minutes to the south of Carmel on the PCH so it's a real short hop.

Another good place for grub is The Carmel Mission Ranch. Great Rack of Lamb, and the Swordfish is delish, too. An added benie is it's owned by Clint Eastwood and he is known to stop by just about every evening around sundown for a nightcap.

If you do run into him take my advice and don't tell him he doesn't look like such a tough guy anymore.

:biggrin:
Carmel Mission Ranch is good too.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #20
alivebacon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Stay at the Spanish Bay
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 12:49 AM   #21
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus say View Post
Stay at the Spanish Bay
That place is really, really nice. But its over $500 a night.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #22
Perfect128
Perfect128
Rep
Drives: '08 SGM 128i

+1 on the Carmel Highlands.
+1 on Nepenthe in Big Sur (south of Carmel).

Just north of San Fran you can take in the beautiful redwoods at John Muir park if you want some more natural beauty.
Appreciate 0