BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-12-2008, 02:39 AM   #1
imported_mac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Test Drives

Hi, I've been reading these forums for a few weeks now since I'm on the prowl for a new car and am developing quite a soft spot for the 135i.

I've tried to arrange a test drive with a local BMW dealer (Glasgow) but have been told by the that because they are quite rare here I may struggle to arrange one. The saleman I spoke to recommended that I call round a few and see if I have any better luck with them which I'll be doing but I'd thought I might find some pearls of wisdom here first.

Has anyone else run into this problem or have you ordered yours without first having a test drive?

Really like the car from everything I've read about it but don't really want to spend 30k+ without first tasting the goods.

Thanks
Mac
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 02:56 AM   #2
IanM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

If you can't find one then you might want to try both a 125i and a 335i with the same gearbox as you're planning to get. That way you get an idea.

There were no 135i convertibles around when I was looking, so I tried the 125i SE convertible and the 335i. The 125i gave me an idea of most aspects of what I wanted, and the 335i of how the engine would feel. I really liked both and figured that a 135i M Sport would be even better: sportier handling than 125i and better power to weight than the 335i. And it has.

It's obviously not as good as trying the real thing, but if you're happy with the appropriate aspects of each car, then you'll probably be more than happy with the 135i.
      06-12-2008, 03:26 AM   #3
imported_mac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the tips, will give that a go and see what I get my paws on.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

He's telling the truth, there are impossible to get a hold of.

Each dealership only has an allowance of 2 1 series coupes per month.

My dealer had a demo for 3 months, sold it and has to wait until August to get another.

However, they have just received a 135i cab last week.

Would suggest driving any manual 335i (if you are after a manual) to 'get' the engine and then try and get a hold of an M Sport coupe of any engine type.

To be fair, if you like the 335i, the 135i is better to drive - more driver focused, more agile and a much better handling car. It doesn't crash over bumps like the 335 either.

Good luck!

PS try searching the BMW Used Car locator for used 135i's and see if there are any close?

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
imported_mac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Good advice, Cheers moff.

Already tried searching for 2nd hand ones but sadly the closest is about 170 miles away, I'm not that desperate.....yet
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
playitfunky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Second what Moff says - I didn't get the chance to test a 135i, did the 335i and 120d - take a chance, you won't regret it!! Had mine for 24 hours now
      06-13-2008, 07:58 AM   #7
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by playitfunky View Post
Second what Moff says - I didn't get the chance to test a 135i, did the 335i and 120d - take a chance, you won't regret it!! Had mine for 24 hours now

Awww 24 hours old :thumbup:

You are going to be amazed...

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 08:03 AM   #8
imported_mac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Just thought I'd post a quick update.

Seems I've struck gold, there is a demo 135i in Stirling, going to test drive it on Wednesday. Better get the credit card at the ready :wink:

Been going round in circles on the colour though, what looks good in our more often than not overcast weather?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 10:39 AM   #9
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

White

Seriously, when clean it adds colour to any naff looking day!

Like black it always looks great when clean.

I was really annoyed that they omitted a decent red such as crimson or imola from the colour line-up.

Met grey or silver hide dirt and always generally look good, but at the end of the day colour choice is purely personal. There is also an element of depreciation with some colours e.g. sedona.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 03:28 AM   #10
toys
Rep
Drives:

Hi chaps,

Been lurking for a while, so thought it was time I said hello...

After a bit of chasing, Vines of Gatwick have finally managed to get hold of a maual 135i for me to test drive tomorrow. I can't wait to see for myself what the car is like after reading so many positive comments here and elsewhere...

I had an E46 M3 SMG a couple of years back, and if the 135i is anything like as quick I will be more than satisfied! Has anyone heard any news about a DCT version? If (when!) I order a car it will probably be pretty stripped down (Alpine white, cloth, no nav) but I could well be interested in a dual clutch box if available.

I acutally have an order in for a new Nissan GT-R, but am getting cold feet about over-stretching myself, and have always fancied the 1 - its a great combination of performance, efficiency and (dare I say it) practicality, in a compact package. In the current climate, the GT-R's <15mpg, £450 tax and £500 a pop tyres may not be prudent. So perhaps I will be the first one to chose a 135i as an economical solution!!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 04:11 AM   #11
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I also chose the 135i as an economical solution over the Z4M Coupe.

It's very fast, but in a more useable way than the E46 M3.

No news on a DCT version, and I am not sure that this will filter down to the 1 series in the current E82 guise.

Initially you will feel a little let down by the lack of 'rawness' that the M3 provides, and it also does not provide the same 'raspy' tingle when you are nailing it.

However, a few simple mods e.g. Intake, 'golf tee' mod, BMW Performance Exhaust will all transform the car.

I have driven mine fairly hard on the road and it's excellent. You will not feel the understeer unless you are on a track - the handling is very neutral in my opinion, the back end doesn't really ever get loose, and the front end doesn't really push out under power either.

The 135i also has huge potential to go even quicker - Dinan or Procede V3 are providing 380+ bhp but how safely I am not sure.

I will certainly be entertaining the option of doing a lot more mod's once I buy the car from the lease company after 2 years, and 400bhp will be an easy target IMO.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 04:59 AM   #12
toys
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for your reply moff...

I must admit that the tuning potential is one of the big attractions of the car. Perhaps run it for a year or so and then liven things up with a chip / exhaust etc.

I have no doubt that the power is more accessible than the high revving M3, so in day-to-day driving it will feel every bit as quick. Ride was not one of the M3's strongest suits (to put it mildly!) so I am quite looking forward to something a bit softer (must be getting old!!) At least the brakes look decent - I melted the M3 stoppers after two laps of Donington!

I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow....
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 06:14 AM   #13
changed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 Msport

if you have trouble with vines, coopers in croydon also have/had a 135 to drive
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 12:32 PM   #14
imported_mac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Had the test drive today. All I can say is Wow! Something that fun is normally illegal.

Does the grin ever subside at all? :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 05:33 AM   #15
toys
Rep
Drives:

Just come back from my test drive (it was the black/lemon car from Croydon). I fully concur with mac's conclusion... WOW indeed!

Unless you were told about the turbos you would swear that it was a (grunty) 4 litre NA. It certainly felt as quick as my old M3, and yet was more comfortable and accessible (that word again!). Brakes stunning, handling chuckable and netural, and 20mpg despite being thrashed! If I do have a small niggle it would be the steering which was a little slow and lacking in feel - but I'm sure I will get used to it.

The only debate now is when I put my order in (oh and the colour!)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 05:44 AM   #16
changed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 Msport

ahh... so they still have that black/lemon car 135 at croydon, it looks absolutely stunning when its clean.

the sales woman desperately tried to flog me mine in that combo, but the wife already has a black car, and i couldn't cope with cleaning two of them! being a 'safe' person im more than happy with the blue, if i was more daring i would go for the white!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 12:21 PM   #17
imported_mac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Curse the car for being so good. Ordered it today, delivery sometime in Sept.

135i SGM Black Leather and went mad ticking all the boxes!

And now the wait....
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #18
toys
Rep
Drives:

Congratulations mac! I bet you'll be willing the next few months away!

Can I ask whether you managed to haggle any form of discount off list price?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #19
imported_mac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

yeah the time will drag on I'm sure.

I got 2.7k off list price but I did go for a fully loaded spec (except the electric seats and active steering). I kicked off using a couple of online quotes from bettercardeal.com and uknewcars.com and went from there.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #20
IanM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Congratulations!

What interior trim did you go for?

I ordered my convertible in April and they said end of July delivery, but hopefully earlier. It actually arriived 4 weeks later in May, so don't be surprised if yours arrives next month instead of September.
      06-20-2008, 03:04 PM   #21
imported_mac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thanks Ian,

chickened out of the lemon interior, partly because they didn't do it with piano black trim and partly because I'd end up marking it and getting
(beats me why they don't offer PB? would look great)

Ended up going with the plain old glacier silver with black leather... cop out I know!

Even if it does come early I've requested it's held back until 1st Sept for 58 plates. Here's hoping it is around the 1st though and not the end which is the current estimate.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #22
IanM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Black with silver trim sounds great to me - it's the sort of combination I usually go for. This is the first time I've gone for something a bit different, so I hope I don't regret it!

Makes sense about the 58 reg, but I doubt I'd have the patience to wait if it turned up at the dealers in July!