BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-02-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
j8smith
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i coupe

faulty tank venting valve - 128i

I picked up my car on March 31. By april 15, I had a check engine light. I brought it to the dealer, and the service advisor said it was simply a loose fuel filler cap. After arguing with her that a loose filler cap sets off a different warning light, she basically told me I was wrong, and that the light would go off after five days. Well the light didn't go off, and a week later I went back to service to schedule an apointment. First available apointment, June 2. WTF!! Called the other dealer in town, and even longer wait. In the mean time, I continue driving the car, and get a big suprise when I fill up the next time. The car won't start. I try again and it sputters to life, runs rough for a bit then revs up to 2000rpm before smoothing out to normal. Since then it has run fine, accept for repeating the no start/rough running after each fill up.

So today I bring it in for the appointment. First irritation, no loaners, you have to book that seperately when you book the service. No problem, went to the sales manager and borrowed a demo and went back to work. Two hours later I get the call, cars fixed come get it; wow that was quick. Get there only to find that they found the problem, but didn't fix it because the part has to be special ordered out of germany. So they said the problem is a faulty Fuel tank venting valve, part number 13-90-7-572-234. They schedule another appointment for June 20, with a loaner this time. Assuming this fixes it, it will be just over 2 months start to finish. And to think, I complained when it took 2 weeks to fix my toyota including shipping parts from japan.
      06-24-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

That's one of the few 128i mechanical problems I've even heard of on here so far, although I think others have had that same part go bad on the 135 too.

Fixed yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
god im glad im in germany and the parts are easy to get even if they have to order one it would take only 1 day 2 days max
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 10:28 AM   #4
j8smith
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i coupe

I had the vent valve replaced a couple weeks ago, and it seems to have fixed it. Yah!!

Bmw certainly bought themselves some Negative Marketing by letting me drive for two months with this problem though. On three seperate occasions I pulled in to the gas station and had several people stop to check out the car. Then when I go to leave after filling up, the car misses, sputters and stalls. Several potential buyers lost right there.