BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
asv
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Pocono Track Report

I managed to get in on a Pocono track day sponsored by the Northeastern PA Corvette club. It was a great to have another track outing, after my first track experience at Summit Point.

The 2.5 mile Pocono course feature a good chuck of the speedway, and the infield. I drove in two different groups, green and white. Green was with instructors, and white was solo. Both were novice groups. A wide variety of very fast cars were in my group.

What does Corvette, Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, Maserati, and Viper have in common? They were all cars passed by my measly 135i. Driver skill varied, and my 135i passed a lot of cars it probably wouldn't in an equal setting. So my passes probably say more about the drivers, than the car, especially considering I suck compared to anyone with a decent amount of experience.

The 135i owned the infield section, and I was slowed down in the infield by most of the people in my group, with the exception of a very fast GT40 and Porsche GT2.

It was hard to keep up with the vipers in the straights, and a 911 turbo blew by me like I was standing still when I hit the speed limiter on the back straight.

From a vehicle perspective, the car handled itself very well. Temps never went past 260, and I was beating it pretty hard on a hot day. I had no problem getting to 140-145 in 4th gear.

I was pretty tired by the end of the day, and I managed to spin out in to grass on devils elbow during my last session. Thankfully, no damage to the car or driver.

After two track days in the past month with the stock runflats, I can wait to get the Volks on for my next track foray. Here are some pictures:

Pocono Track Day Flickr Photos

Unedited Gallery (Lots of Bad Photos)

Appreciate 0