E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > spacesaver spare yet?

06-01-2006, 09:40 AM   #1
kevE90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F8x

spacesaver spare yet?

I was skimming through the onslaught of runflat threads as usual. I'm sure all fellow e90post loyalists know what i'm talking about. It's pretty clear to either (A) stick with them or (B) switch them out and carry a full spare in the trunk (your spare oem). Either way you go a Mobilty Kit/ContiComfortKit (not 100% unreliable) is safe to carry for slow leaks (even with runflats).

I tend to bring this same subject up once every so often. The subject of spacesaver spare. I don't hear members complain about the lack of one nearly as much as i'd expect.

I'm wondering if there is yet a clear answer to the availabilty of a spacesaver. I know it has been confirmed that there is none for the 330. The question is still unanswered whether a spacesaver spare (e46) fits the 325 (physically confirmed yet?).

I'm just trying to spark more interest in the search for a spacesaver. Seems like the ideal solution until runflats deserve to become the standard.

edit: i apologize if this was posted in the wrong forum. I figure this is a more general issue than wheel/tire.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
[QUOTE=kevE90zsp]I was skimming through the onslaught of runflat threads as usual. I'm sure all fellow e90post loyalists know what i'm talking about. It's pretty clear to either (A) stick with them or (B) switch them out and carry a full spare in the trunk (your spare oem). Either way you go a Mobilty Kit/ContiComfortKit (not 100% unreliable) is safe to carry for slow leaks (even with runflats).

I tend to bring this same subject up once every so often. The subject of spacesaver spare. I don't hear members complain about the lack of one nearly as much as i'd expect.

I'm wondering if there is yet a clear answer to the availabilty of a spacesaver. I know it has been confirmed that there is none for the 330. The question is still unanswered whether a spacesaver spare (e46) fits the 325 (physically confirmed yet?).

Haven't heard anymore on the spacesaver as far as fit. I would hope that it fits on the 330i ZSP. Needs more research for the answer. One benefit with the RF is that you can drive around on them for a while if you just have a leak versus a side puncture or something worse. The regular tires you will have to change it wherever and whenever you notice your tire running low. You still have to get both fixed at some point. I could see a real problem stranded in BFE with no RF for milesin sight and spending lots of cash for rush delivery and wasted time. Regular tires would atleast off the ability to replace it with something that would get you going again and find the OEM later. I think I will start looking into the spacesaver option as far as fit.
      06-01-2006, 02:35 PM   #3
Barry626
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming: 2012 135i

According to owner he claims following donut will fit 2006 330/325
Sure hope he's right, planning to buy it in near future.

http://leatherz.com/Merchant2/mercha...egory_Code=E46
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Problem with any space saver replacement tire is that there is really no space in the trunk for it other than have it float around (and take up *******.

Mobility kits are a better solution IMHO, refill air, plug and play until you get to a garage to fix the leak.

It eliminates the need to change a tire (which is never fun, especially not in winter or deep frying summer heat) and is a faster way to git goin' again
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2006, 02:47 PM   #5
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista
Problem with any space saver replacement tire is that there is really no space in the trunk for it other than have it float around (and take up *******.

Mobility kits are a better solution IMHO, refill air, plug and play until you get to a garage to fix the leak.

It eliminates the need to change a tire (which is never fun, especially not in winter or deep frying summer heat) and is a faster way to git goin' again
Is the mobility kit the same as a fixaflat?
      06-01-2006, 03:21 PM   #6
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

I don't know the fix-a-flat, but the mobility kit is a combo of a compressor and liquid patch system which allows for tempory patching and re-inflating of the flat tire to enable to geet to a garage to put a more permanent patch on.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2006, 03:42 PM   #7
kevE90
Lieutenant
Rep

The purpose of this thread was not to make an argument against runflats. It really is personal preference as to which solutions better suit each individuals needs (feeling of security, safety, space, price, etc). As I stated before Mobilty Kit/ContiComfortKit are not 100% reliable but nevertheless serve a good purpose for slow leaks. The compressor alone (without the use of the sealant) may just save you from putting wear on the sidewall. Runflats, mobilty kits, spacesavers, full spares, it all comes down to how much security you each seem fit. For me personally, running regular tires, a mobility kit, and a spare is plenty for me as i'll most likely be caught with a nail in my tire. Most of the time all I need is just a little air to tie me over. So with all that said (sorry for the rant) , I just want to keep this thread on the focus of spacesaver spare solution.

Barry626,
If we are talking about the same e90post member of the 325i (I forget who) who purchased a spacesaver and built an enclosure for it, but it never was confirmed wether it actually fit properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2006, 03:47 PM   #8
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

i am very happy with the performance of my run flats.

yes, they do sqeal quite easily if you take a fast corner etc, but i do 99.9% of my driving in a big, crowded city so my driving is suited to rfts.

however i find them to be great on the open roadsas well.

glad that bmw did not start with the space saver.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2006, 03:53 PM   #9
kevE90
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista

deep frying summer heat and changing tires don't mix. I'll take the cold winter any day.
Definitely, the issue with a spacesaver and how much space they take up I guess can't be avoided but i still wouldn't mind the option of having one to toss in my trunk for long trips.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #10
kevE90
Lieutenant
Rep

I don't want to sound annoying, but I just want to make sure this thread doesn't turn into a runflat discussion as it will get moved to other forum. My comments weren't too focused themselves . Spacesaver...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2006, 05:10 PM   #11
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
No spacesaver yet.

Someone here ordered the LeatherZ one and had to send it back.

I do want to mention for safety's sake -- DO NOT STORE A CAN OF FIX-A-FLAT IN YOUR CAR!! It is under pressure and can explode in high temp. All the mobility kits recommended here (slime, BMW's, tirerack's) are not under pressure and safe to store in your car.

That is all.

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2006, 05:28 PM   #12
hotsand5
hotsand5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i 6spd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
couldn't you just buy another run flat (when it becomes available again) and keep it in your garage until you get a flat...you can still drive with the flat, but they you would not have to wait for the spare, as you already have one. If need be, and taking long trips...you can take that one with you if it makes you feel any better. Same thing as having non run flats and a spare in the back, just you get better security w/ RFT. As far as availability goes, good luck trying to find another non-RFT in your size anyways (sport pkg people). You have to order those anyways, as almost nobody keeps them in stock (at least in chicago....as I was looking when I got my flat, so I'm pretty sure that you are not going to find them away from a big city either). Either way you get it....just this time w/o any lube!

-2005 Yamaha Warrior 1700 102cu"
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2006, 09:39 PM   #13
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsand5
couldn't you just buy another run flat (when it becomes available again) and keep it in your garage until you get a flat...you can still drive with the flat, but they you would not have to wait for the spare, as you already have one. If need be, and taking long trips...you can take that one with you if it makes you feel any better. Same thing as having non run flats and a spare in the back, just you get better security w/ RFT. As far as availability goes, good luck trying to find another non-RFT in your size anyways (sport pkg people). You have to order those anyways, as almost nobody keeps them in stock (at least in chicago....as I was looking when I got my flat, so I'm pretty sure that you are not going to find them away from a big city either). Either way you get it....just this time w/o any lube!
what?

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2006, 10:33 PM   #14
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
what?

It's like the rabbit commercial: I think he meant have a spare RFT in your (trunk or at home) so that at least you know you can replace your flat run flat; of course with the ZSP yo needs two (one for each size-front back,, AAAhhhh my head hurts, its too complicated: Mobility Kit rules
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2006, 01:15 AM   #15
Barry626
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsand5
Exactly what I have done & so far so good.
A lot of people don't have place to store spares?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2006, 03:11 AM   #16
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry626
Exactly what I have done & so far so good.
A lot of people don't have place to store spares?
That is the last thing I want to do is have 2 full size spares in the garage
      06-03-2006, 12:34 PM   #17
BeeEmDubU
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry626
According to owner he claims following donut will fit 2006 330/325
Sure hope he's right, planning to buy it in near future.

http://leatherz.com/Merchant2/mercha...egory_Code=E46
so can anyone confirm that this fits a 325i?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2006, 01:18 PM   #18
Jesse Wilson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
No spacesaver yet.

Someone here ordered the LeatherZ one and had to send it back.

I do want to mention for safety's sake -- DO NOT STORE A CAN OF FIX-A-FLAT IN YOUR CAR!! It is under pressure and can explode in high temp. All the mobility kits recommended here (slime, BMW's, tirerack's) are not under pressure and safe to store in your car.

That is all.

He said it didn't fit his 330 but he never tried it on a 325 as far as I can remember. I would really like to know if this fits on a 325 almost to the point that I would buy it just to see as long as they would take it back if it didn't.

Jesse
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2006, 02:51 PM   #19
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
one of our members had a spacesaver. Agio?? i think...we saw his car at bimmerfest and he had a spacesaver in the trunk but the way he had it was that it was strapped in using the hooks in the trunk. it negated teh cubby space because the tire was sitting rihgt on top of it...
      06-05-2006, 01:28 AM   #20
kevE90
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Wilson
He said it didn't fit his 330 but he never tried it on a 325 as far as I can remember. I would really like to know if this fits on a 325 almost to the point that I would buy it just to see as long as they would take it back if it didn't.

Jesse
That's the thread I was trying to explain. I guess we never got a response for a reason.

Jesse, that would be awesome if you try it out. You have my respect even if it turns out it doesn't fit. please just make sure they are willing to give you refund.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2006, 12:17 PM   #21
LarryK1000
Larry from Los Angeles
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I exchanged several emails with Andy of LeatherZ and he not only confirms that his Spacesaver Spare will fit BOTH the NON=SPORT 17 inch 330's but also the SPORT 18 inch ones, that he will give a discount to someone in the Cincinnati area that will come in, put the spare on, take pictures and post them.

Here is a copy of his email to me a few minutes ago:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Larry,

There is absolutely no reason to believe that the spare does not fit the 330. It fits the 325 fine and the 330 has slightly (3-5mm) larger brakes. The E46 M3 has larger barkes than both and the spare fits. If you want 100% verification, I am sure there is someone on e90post.com in Cincinnati that would be willing for me to put one on their car and take photographs. Feel free to invite anyone to take me up on this offer and I will give them a discount.

The rolling diameter of the 18" setup should be the same as the 17" setup; the 18" tires will have a lower profile.

Feel free to call me if you would like to discuss this further.

Andy Maddux
www.LeatherZ.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andy was really nice taking the time to correspond with me.

So, if there is someone who can take him up on his offer, that would be great.

Thanks Andy,

Larry in Los Angeles
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2006, 12:47 PM   #22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

Garage List
The idea of space saver wheel has been in my mind for quite some time now. I searched in realoem site and found 3 alternatives that might be applicable to E90:

E60 spare: 17x4 ET:18
Z3 Spare: 16x3 ET: 32
E46 Spare: 17x3.5 ET: 30

Same with all of you guys, I'm waiting for the confirmation on which wheel fit the best on E90.

Question, does the rim come with the tire as well? I've checked with my regular tire shop, they don't sell tires to fit the space saver rim (too narrow for popular size tires).
Appreciate 0