BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-23-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
jpiazza
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Sirius Sat Install

Hi Guys,

I just picked up my new 128i and love it. The only thing I was missing was Sirius. The dealer told me that they are on national backorder. So I took matters into my own hands and purchased one from ECS Tuning. I plugged in my new receiver to the 2 connections in the trunk.

Now my problem is that the radio does not "see" the new receiver. I disconnected the negative cable on the battery hoping that might reset the car, but no luck.

I am pretty sure the radio head needs to be programmed to see the Sirius receiver. Anyone know the next steps (aside from making an appointment at the dealer) to take to get this to work ?

Help! (and thanks in advance)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
08bmw128i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M

can you take some pictures of the install? I thought of doing this myself as well.

Thanks,
Wayne
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

Yes you do have to have the ECU reflashed for it to use the BMW siruis radio
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 11:53 PM   #4
1for2
Rep
Drives: Sedona Red 135i

I was looking into this for my wife's 335xi last year...you may have to move the MOST bus connections to connect the unit in the loop.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 12:37 AM   #5
morscode
Got Boost?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 x3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc22 View Post
Yes you do have to have the ECU reflashed for it to use the BMW siruis radio
And where exactly did you get this information from? That's not true. If you don't have the facts, please don't make false assumptions and state them as facts.

How is the ECU related to your stereo in any way?

jpiazza,
I did this install on my Z4 and it was plug and play. I would go in to the parts department and see if they have an advice for you.
Now I'm not 100% sure, but I think I had to go into the settings and enable the Sirius mode in the Business stereo. I don't have the best recollection of it, it was about 3 years ago. Note, I do not have the nav.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 10:37 PM   #6
bimmertech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaiderman View Post
And where exactly did you get this information from? That's not true. If you don't have the facts, please don't make false assumptions and state them as facts.

How is the ECU related to your stereo in any way?

jpiazza,
I did this install on my Z4 and it was plug and play. I would go in to the parts department and see if they have an advice for you.
Now I'm not 100% sure, but I think I had to go into the settings and enable the Sirius mode in the Business stereo. I don't have the best recollection of it, it was about 3 years ago. Note, I do not have the nav.
A programming retrofit does need to be performed for Sirius to work. I'm not familiar with the Sirius unit that you got from ECS tuning. Is this a BMW part or a generic Sirius receiver. If it's a generic Sirius receiver, you're not going to be able to use your factory head unit to control your Sirius receiver.

A BMW Sirius Satellite consists of 3 things.
You need to purchase a BMW Sirius Satellite receiver (called SDARS)
The SDARS is on the MOST-bus on a 1er and the MOST lines need to be modified at the MOST junction (i'm not sure where it is in a 1er, probably behind the left rear seat back area). This will redirect light into the SDARS and ultimately add the SDARS into the MOST loop.
After that is done, the entire vehicle needs to be programmed and then retrofitted to add SDARS.

A Z4's radio is not on the fiber optic MOST-bus, it is on the traditional copper wire i-bus.

hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8

need a posted writeup on this oem siruis install, does one exist?
Appreciate 0