BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-16-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Looking for a good Performance Driving School

Well the title sums it up, but I am looking to do a perf. driving school of some sort in the Southeast as a wedding present. She drives my 135 harder than I do, so I know she and I would both love it. Any suggestions on a good school that is fairly inexpensive?
      05-17-2008, 12:54 AM   #2
Nice1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82

I was just looking into this. Here's a directory:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=125472
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 07:06 AM   #3
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Thanks, I had googled it but not noticed an edmunds link.
      05-28-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
skylightguy
Rep
Drives:

How about the "BMW Performance Driving School"?

1 or 2 day Adult driving program.
1 or 2 day "M" School program.

Located in Greer, SC. Same location as the Performance Center Delivery.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 06:37 AM   #5
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

I'd suggest you further investigate two diverse sets of options:

-- the PDC operated by BMW in Spartanburg, SC. My son opted for their normal 2-day course after getting his Z4 3.0Si and he drove almost every car made by BMW including several M's. The instructional mix (classroom to track) was excellent and the mix of events, most of them hands-on for the students, were entertaining but also challenging. And don't lose sight of the fact that the PDC offers a wide range of courses plus customizes programs, as well. (There's some excellent video available on the Women Only course they run, if that would be a preferred setting for your wife). Were I you (two), I'd call them and talk with one of the staff. They certainly have all the toys to make the programs BMW-relevant.

-- Don't overlook the mix of events offered at the major BMW CCA events such as Oktoberfest, which include track events and instructional programs as well as driving events 'out and about'. If you're not a CCA member (yet), you can visit the bmwcca.org site and review info posted there on their upcoming events and/or "leaf thru" a recent Roundel that will include event info. Also keep in mind that you will most likely have a regional CCA chapter that sponsors a mix of instructional and track events closer to home. Definitely get the contact info from the CCA and make an inquiry on those programs, as well. (No one sez you have to pick just one... <g>)

In both cases, these offer a diversity of skill building choices AND concurrently a chance to mix with/learn from other BMW fans - surely, a good thing for the owners of a new BMW.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in St. Pete View Post
I'd suggest you further investigate two diverse sets of options:

-- the PDC operated by BMW in Spartanburg, SC. My son opted for their normal 2-day course after getting his Z4 3.0Si and he drove almost every car made by BMW including several M's. The instructional mix (classroom to track) was excellent and the mix of events, most of them hands-on for the students, were entertaining but also challenging. And don't lose sight of the fact that the PDC offers a wide range of courses plus customizes programs, as well. (There's some excellent video available on the Women Only course they run, if that would be a preferred setting for your wife). Were I you (two), I'd call them and talk with one of the staff. They certainly have all the toys to make the programs BMW-relevant.

-- Don't overlook the mix of events offered at the major BMW CCA events such as Oktoberfest, which include track events and instructional programs as well as driving events 'out and about'. If you're not a CCA member (yet), you can visit the bmwcca.org site and review info posted there on their upcoming events and/or "leaf thru" a recent Roundel that will include event info. Also keep in mind that you will most likely have a regional CCA chapter that sponsors a mix of instructional and track events closer to home. Definitely get the contact info from the CCA and make an inquiry on those programs, as well. (No one sez you have to pick just one... <g>)

In both cases, these offer a diversity of skill building choices AND concurrently a chance to mix with/learn from other BMW fans - surely, a good thing for the owners of a new BMW.

Jack
I completely agree - as a former club racer and Chief Instructor for Porsche Club, we are often asked this same question. It is part of our position that you (or your fiance/spouse) would be better served by attending several high performance driver's educations before attending a school. Most of the schools are very pricey compared to DEs. In the Southeast you have great tracks; Barber, Road Atlanta, and if you are willing to travel a little further VIR. Generally for new students, 3 or 4, 25 to 30 minute sessions per day driving flat out are more then enough for a day and will basically set the hook so to speak. There will generally be no turning back and the thought of 'inexpensive' will become 'relatively inexpensive.' My SO and I track our cars about 30 days a year.

The cadre of instructors that instruct for fun are dedicated to making your experience as pleasurable as they can. They will tune out the bad habits and refine your skills to the point where you will be able to get the maximum benefit from a professional school. Join BMW CCA and check out what they have available.

Go to any of the following sites to find links for venues and dates:
http://thetrackschedule.com/indexmain.php
http://www.mytrackschedule.com/Schedule.asp

You will have to establish a login account, but they are very easy to use.

For what its worth I get to Rucker from time-to-time and have stayed with some of your folks in the Balkans in times past.

Appreciate 0