BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
bigmicj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i + M240iX

Console Trim Removal

Has anyone removed the trim pieces from the console yet? I could really use some insight on removing the trim over the ashtray in the front. I'm having some trouble getting it off.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
nautilus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 G30 540i

Ditto - have seen stuff for the 1st gen 1er's in the UK but nothing on ours

I've given it a yank and the bottom part detaches a little (seems like there's a plug on either side) but the top end looks to be wedged under the AC controls...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
bigmicj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah, from looking at the diagrams on the realOEM site, I think the center console housing the radio/AC needs to come out. Geesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus View Post
Ditto - have seen stuff for the 1st gen 1er's in the UK but nothing on ours

I've given it a yank and the bottom part detaches a little (seems like there's a plug on either side) but the top end looks to be wedged under the AC controls...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 08:29 AM   #4
AndyM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I will be removing trim this weekend.

Are you talking about the HVAC trim panel and the panel the heated seat switches are in?

If you are refering to the trim surrounding the ashtray, you need to remove the center console.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
nautilus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post

Are you talking about the HVAC trim panel and the panel the heated seat switches are in?

If you are refering to the trim surrounding the ashtray, you need to remove the center console.
Andy - HVAC trim and the panel beneath it (blank in my case as no heated seats) is what I'm looking for help with as I want to install one of these...

http://www.dashmount.co.uk/May07/711162.htm

Says they're only for RHD drive cars but I think it'll be fine in a LHD and the image on the page was flipped horizontally to make it look like a RHD setup anyway.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
AndyM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus View Post
Andy–HVAC trim and the panel beneath it (blank in my case as no heated seats) is what I’m looking for help with as I want to install one of these...

http://www.dashmount.co.uk/May07/711162.htm

Says they’re only for RHD drive cars but I think it’ll be fine in a LHD and the image on the page was flipped horizontally to make it look like a RHD setup anyway.

Thanks!
The HVAC and the lower panel are one piece. The groove below the HVAC is cosmetic. To remove the panel, use a flat shim tool to unclip the 2 clips along the bottom edge (The pic shows the bottom 2 clips unclipped). Then use the tool along the edges to release the clips along the sides. I think there are 2 per side, 6 clips for the entire panel.

Note where the arrow is on the right side, if you pull too much along the bottom, you will put stress on the panel and it could break. Just unclip the two lower clips, then move on, do not pull more than you have to.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
bigmicj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yeah, after looking at it again this morning you're right. Either the center console needs to come out or the lower dash and knee bolsters need to come out. I really can't believe it's such a hassle just to get the ashtray out!

If you can, please provide us with a few photos of your trim removal. It would be greatly appreciated! :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 01:00 PM   #8
AndyM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmicj View Post
Yeah, after looking at it again this morning you’re right. Either the center console needs to come out or the lower dash and knee bolsters need to come out. I really can’t believe it’s such a hassle just to get the ashtray out!

If you can, please provide us with a few photos of your trim removal. It would be greatly appreciated! :biggrin:
I will.

I should be removing the center console in afew weeks and will do a write-up on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 02:18 PM   #9
nautilus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The HVAC and the lower panel are one piece. The groove below the HVAC is cosmetic. To remove the panel, use a flat shim tool to unclip the 2 clips along the bottom edge (The pic shows the bottom 2 clips unclipped). Then use the tool along the edges to release the clips along the sides. I think there are 2 per side, 6 clips for the entire panel.

Note where the arrow is on the right side, if you pull too much along the bottom, you will put stress on the panel and it could break. Just unclip the two lower clips, then move on, do not pull more than you have to.
Andy, you are the man! :headbang:
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #10
bigmicj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will.

I should be removing the center console in afew weeks and will do a write-up on it.
Awesome! Can't wait to see what you find. Speaking of which, after studying the diagrams I realized there is a single tap screw holding the ashtray trim piece on. See below

It's #3 ans #2 in the diagram. That's why it won't budge when I try to pry it up. Just an FYI
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 04:40 AM   #11
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Aw'right, from where are the assembly drawings sourced? I have got to get on board with those! I owned a complete set of factory assembly manuals for my old 2002, they are absolutely essential for the involved owner.

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 07:55 AM   #12
AndyM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surname View Post
Aw’right, from where are the assembly drawings sourced? I have got to get on board with those! I owned a complete set of factory assembly manuals for my old 2002, they are absolutely essential for the involved owner.
Like a Haynes or Bentley manual? Those usually come out a few years after a car is introduced. The above picture is from realoem which has e87 parts. I have found that what is shown in the parts diagrams is not necessarily how it is put together.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 02:26 AM   #13
bigmicj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Way Too Complicated

So I finally got up the courage to remove the center console and tackle the removal of the ashtray and trim piece above the gearshift. Let me tell you, it is a real PIA!!

I printed out a bunch of instructions from the BMWTIS site and spent about 2 hours today trying to pull the console out. Ultimately, I got everything unbolted and began to pull it free, but the E-Brake won't move up high enough to completely get the console off!! Soooo frustrating!!

Anyway, I had to improvise and unscrewed the torx screws under either side of the ashtray trim. forunately, with the black trim (which is plastic) I was able to just bend the trim up after it was unscrewed and pull the ashtray unit out. Those of you with metal or wood trim may be...well...screwed

ANyway, I didn't take any pics, but I may try to take some and illustrate my saga. Honestly, I think it's far more hassle than it's worth.

A word of warning to those considering changing trims, removing this section is not for the faint hearted.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #14
nautilus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Pics of AC removal

Took my AC unit out so I could install a bracket for my iPod Touch this weekend (no 6FL option for me and I don't like picking the unit up every time I want to change tracks) and thought some of you guys might be interested where the clips on the console are...

The blue circles show the 2 different types of clips and where they plug into. Per Andy M, you do need to be careful when removing the bottom 2 clips as you can put undue strain on the middle of the faceplate; I needed some decent trim tools and bought the ones he recommended - they certainly did the job.

The faceplate can be disconnected from the actual AC unit but it's a tricky job (I managed to break one of the clips off in the process); the red squares show the clips, there are another 3 in the same place on top of the AC unit.

Hope this helps
Andrew
Appreciate 0