BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
Rotorhead
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Lo jack anyone

Well since the car doesn't come with an alarm(which I'll probably install later) I'm gonna get Lo jack with EWS. Anyone else out there with it installed yet? What's the average price for the system and install? It definitely will give you a piece of mind when you leave your beloved 135i parked somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

If you have the premium package, you get BMW assist. It's much better than lo-jack.

The only way someone can steal the car is with a flatbed. If that happens, all any tracking device will do is help you find the stripped-out shell that used to be your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
alexp1_tx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I bought a trunk monkey?

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

Here's how BMW explains it:

If your BMW is equipped with this capability (BMW Assist) and is ever stolen, notify the BMW Assist Response Center by calling toll free (888) 333-6118 immediately after filing your police report. The center can remotely activate your BMW Assist system to locate your vehicle and help the police recover it. This feature may even reduce your comprehensive insurance premium.

In my opinion, it's a valuable service that makes more sense than joining the chorus of random yowls rising from cars equipped with alarm systems that are better at falsing than stopping thieves.

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #5
Rotorhead
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
If you have the premium package, you get BMW assist. It's much better than lo-jack.

The only way someone can steal the car is with a flatbed. If that happens, all any tracking device will do is help you find the stripped-out shell that used to be your car.
The people that didn't order the prem pack and therefore have no BMW assist, I believe it would be an valuable asset. Plus with the early warning system it alerts you up to 5 numbers(phone, e-mail, text) that your car was moved without your authorization. Example: you park your car at the airport for a 7 day trip, car is stolen on day 3, they have a 4 day head start before you ever realize anything is wrong. With EWS you will know immediately and get the ball rolling on getting back your car. BMW assist can't do that for you until you get back from your trip, at that point it's probably to late.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
topvega
Kinda sorta banned on N54
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM JB3

I think my CA said it was 595.00 for the lojack ews... I am considering using my tax relief check on it... but the lil devil on my left shoulder keeps telling me screw that and get a turbo tuner with that check instead...:biggrin:

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
Rotorhead
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by topvega View Post
I think my CA said it was 595.00 for the lojack ews... I am considering using my tax relief check on it... but the lil devil on my left shoulder keeps telling me screw that and get a turbo tuner with that check instead...:biggrin:
Do both, I'am our cars are worth it!!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
topvega
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Do both, I'am our cars are worth it!!
Yes they are worth it...:smile: but I really don't feel like I will ever need the lojack where I live and drive normally... the money for lojack cld be put into other performance mods....

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
C_Topher
Seņor Member
Rep

I think this would be more useful if you live in a high crime or urban area. The remote notification by phone or email if you car is jostled is a nice feature. I live in a small town where there is virtually no auto theft, so I don't see the need for myself.
      05-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #10
topvega
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Topher View Post
I think this would be more useful if you live in a high crime or urban area. The remote notification by phone or email if you car is jostled is a nice feature. I live in a small town where there is virtually no auto theft, so I don't see the need for myself.
Exactly.. and when I do have to stray into bad areas we take the wifey's Hyundai....:biggrin:

Appreciate 0