BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
Warpspeed
ONEZILA is here.
Rep
Drives:

Getting Alarm installed in the Bay Area

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had purchased their alarm on their own, and tried getting it installed at a dealership?

I was thinking of going this route as most dealerships over here charge way above what some internet sales companies are charging. However, when I called into a few dealerships, Mountain View BMW and Allison BMW, both tell me that they will not do installs unless you buy the alarm from them. These people are such crooks!

Does anyone know which dealerships are willing to do an alarm install if you did not purchase it from them? And what kind hour rates and how many hours did they charge you for the install and programming job?

Thanks for your replies.
      05-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Warpspeed,

Why not install it yourself. It's very easy.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7536
      06-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
mastermav
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F82

Did anyone actually managed to program it? I heard that there are issues with firmware.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
gap
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I picked my 135i coupe up at the Performance Center 5/23. I had ordered the alarm in advance and it was to be installed at the VPC. The alarm was not installed and I was told that there was a software problem that caused the
computer to crash. Still have not gotten it installed or heard anything definitive about the issue. The dealer says he will do some more research and install it next week.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 05:12 PM   #5
bimmertech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

there is a known programming issue with progman 29.2 and 1 series alarm retrofits. i would suggest waiting until progman 30.x comes out in couple months for bmw to resolve this programming issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #6
jasp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpspeed View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had purchased their alarm on their own, and tried getting it installed at a dealership?

I was thinking of going this route as most dealerships over here charge way above what some internet sales companies are charging. However, when I called into a few dealerships, Mountain View BMW and Allison BMW, both tell me that they will not do installs unless you buy the alarm from them. These people are such crooks!
Does anyone know which dealerships are willing to do an alarm install if you did not purchase it from them? And what kind hour rates and how many hours did they charge you for the install and programming job?

Thanks for your replies.
i called service reps a couple of weeks ago,about what you're asking,from bmw concord,pleasanton, and stevens creek and they all said they will install the alarm as long as they are factory alarm and not an after market...pleasanton has a 15% off labor coupon but forgot to ask if they will honor that if i dont buy the alarm from them.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
gap
First Lieutenant
Rep

Alarm Software Problems

Went to the dealer to get after break in oil change and have the alarm installed. There is still a software problem so the hardware is in but the alarm cannot be programed with current dealer software. The dealer told me a BMW tech rep from Louisiana had the patch on his laptop and I could meet him at a BMW dealership in Jackson,MS (300 mile round trip for me) on June 24 and he could install the software. If this is BMW's plan A to fix the problem I think I will wait and see what plan B looks like.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
CAMike
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

What about an after market alarm (Clifford or something similar)? Is that possible or am I stuck having to wait for BMW to fix their computer problems?
      06-13-2008, 07:14 AM   #9
08bmw128i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M

You should be fine with an aftermarket alarm, I don't think the BMW firmware would have anything to do with it. I had installed the oem alarm like 2 weeks ago, and went to a dealership in my area yesterday to have the ipod adaptor installed, and he was like I will put the latest software in your car which will recognize the alarm and everything else. I was sweet who's going to pay for it? He was like BMW will because your car should always have the latest software installed on it. So I was like of lets do it. I get a phone call later in the day saying my car is done, I was like everything worked ok? He was like yeah the ipod was recognized and everything works fine, I said and what about the alarm? He said oh wait I forgot about that. He said give me a few minutes let me talk to the tech, he called me back and was like the alarm wasn't recognized, I said you have the latest software right version 30, he was like I think we do let me look, he get back on the phone and was like no we have 29.2, I was like that's why it wasn't recognized. He said well it's reading that there is something wrong with the alarm, or it possibly something wasn't installed right. I said it's only got like 3 piece's, he was like we will have to take the whole thing out to see what the problem is, I was like it's not the alarm it's your software. I said I installed the alarm because it was only 3 piece's and it took all of 30 minutes or less to install, the alarm works because I accidently set it off while the windows were open and I reached in not thinking it would do anything and the alarm scared the crap out of me. I was like the only thing it really doesn't do it make the confirmations when you lock or unlock the car. So he said ok well we will have to wait till the new version comes out, he then was like but BMW will not allow me to update you unless there is something wrong with the car. I said I'm not going to pay you when you said that I should always have the latest software on my car originally. The next thing he said was call me in about a month or so that's when we should have it, and we will work something out. I was like ok talk to you then.

I know a long story but basically the alarms don't work lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 07:45 AM   #10
CAMike
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

That sucks...BMW should have this all worked out by now! If I paid Kia prices, I'd expect Kia service but with the money we all paid, I would expect more from BMW. I'll get me first experience with a European dealer when I pick my car up in July...hopefully they will be better than US BMW dealers seem to be. I know Volvo dealers in Europe treat us like Royalty every time we go in with my wife's XC90...hopefully BMW is the same. Good luck getting that fixed!! Hopefully BMW resolves this soon.
      06-13-2008, 10:04 AM   #11
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMike View Post
That sucks...BMW should have this all worked out by now! If I paid Kia prices, I'd expect Kia service but with the money we all paid, I would expect more from BMW. I'll get me first experience with a European dealer when I pick my car up in July...hopefully they will be better than US BMW dealers seem to be. I know Volvo dealers in Europe treat us like Royalty every time we go in with my wife's XC90...hopefully BMW is the same. Good luck getting that fixed!! Hopefully BMW resolves this soon.

LOL

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #12
gap
First Lieutenant
Rep

Same here, clown nose blinks, and I set the alarm off by locking the car with the window down then reaching in and opening the door. No audio conformation when locking.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 01:59 PM   #13
mastermav
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F82

I installed mine myself, but it does not operate as it designed. After I lock the car nose flashes rapidly as it should not. Bellow is what I found in installation instruction manual. I have connected everything good, because I was able to get siren screaming once, but I guess I need to wait for proper programming.

Lock vehicle and arm alarm system with remote key by pressing the round “Roundel” button on remote key. Vehicle is locked and alarm system armed but alarm status LED flashes rapidly for about 20 times, then flashes normally at 3 second intervals.
This indicates a secure point (i.e. a door, the trunk or hood) is not secure or interior sensor is not properly connected. Locate and correct cause of secure point fault and retry locking vehicle and arming alarm system with remote key.
Appreciate 0