BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-02-2008, 02:39 AM   #1
mrug
Rep
Drives:

Unhappy Problem with USB devices

I have both a thumb drive and a 2.5" 80 GB HDD

Anyone notice these problems?

1) Car is running, songs are playing fine.
Then...Turn off radio, Lock car.
Later...Start car \ radio and you find that the USB device is no longer recognized - device power light is on. If you press the USB button however it doesn't work.

The only solution seems to be to unplug the device and then plug it back in. This happens about 75% of the time. In the case of the HDD it takes more than 1 minutes for the "LOADING..." process to finish.

2) Playlists (M3U) on the HDD don't show up in the car until after about 1 hour of driving. I assume it is scanning the drive for playlists while I'm driving?

Note: I only have about 9 GB of content organized like this...RootFolder\Artist\Title

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can make this more reliable? Has anyone else noticed this? Should I just use an iPod instead of an HDD?

Thanks,
Michael
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 05:34 AM   #2
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Maybe get several smaller thumb drives with 1-2G on each, that way it won't take as long to scan. And still have alot on each one.
I was thinking about getting several 1G USB sticks and putting diff types of music on about 5 1G sticks.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrug View Post

Later...Start car \ radio and you find that the USB device is no longer recognized - device power light is on. If you press the USB button however it doesn't work.

The only solution seems to be to unplug the device and then plug it back in. This happens about 75% of the time. In the case of the HDD it takes more than 1 minutes for the "LOADING..." process to finish.

2) Playlists (M3U) on the HDD don't show up in the car until after about 1 hour of driving. I assume it is scanning the drive for playlists while I'm driving?

Note: I only have about 9 GB of content organized like this...RootFolder\Artist\Title

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can make this more reliable? Has anyone else noticed this? Should I just use an iPod instead of an HDD?

Thanks,
Michael
I would run the CHKDSK command form the dos prompt on your computer - CHKDSK E: /R
Where E: is the drive letter - it could be something else on your computer system. After that run scandisk and disk defrag from system tools in Windows.

1983 E21 Delphin, M10, 5 speed, LSD, MSW wheels, recaro seats, Hartge strut brace, rear sway bar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #4
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

It hasn't happened yet with my 1G Thumb Drive .. I'll keep you posted as time goes on.

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrug View Post

Thanks,
Michael
It depends how you have the information on your HDD. If you have no folder (ie albums), and all the songs are in the main directory, it will take a LONG time for the list to come up. Specially if it is not defragmented.

Also, a USB HDD is not a wise choice, because most likely your don't have enough power to run the device. USB thumbdrives are far superior in this regard.

No need to have 10,000 songs at your beck & call while driving. A 8gig or even a 16gig thumbdrive will be perfect. Although, If your having problems with the thumbdrive... then you do have an issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #6
mowmentous
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Same problem

I've got the same problem. I have an 8GB USB flash drive, and I have to re-seat it about half the time. It's a very annoying (minor) issue in this otherwise sick car.
Appreciate 0