BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-21-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
Hollingsabre
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Discuss Options Added, whats good, whats not?

Tell people what you think of options on the 1'er, which are a waste of time, or ones that are absolutely required!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
Hollingsabre
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Hello all, im in the process of getting rid of my Type-R GT for a 123D M Sport. But i want to know about the extras as the local dealers 1 coupe is pretty sparse inside. Here are my questions,
-Are the Xenon headlights worth it, will i notice a great difference?
-Has anyone installed the Hi-Fi loudspeaker system
and finally
-the sun protection glass they state is that just basically tinted windows at the rear?

Hope you can help, plus tell others about your options!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
taylor82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Hi Hollingsabre, welcome to the forum.

I've gone for most of the options but only because i'll miss anything i've currently got on my 3er and it'd just bug me if i didn't have it on my new 1er.

That being said, i don't think it's really neccesary to load it up, you'll never get back that value when you come to sell. The only options i'd consider a must are xenons and leather, everything else is just an expensive bonus! It really comes down to what you want to spend, but be carefull because once you start adding extras it's hard to stop.

I wouldn't really say the speakers are worth it but it saves you the bother of installing an aftermarket setup which could probably be done for half the price for the same quality. Maybe just the professional head unit is a good idea, especially if you also want the USB extra as it displays song titles etc.

The sun protection glass is, as you said, rear tints.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 02:16 AM   #4
changed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 Msport

get the xenons... otherwise you will regret not having angel eyes
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 06:37 AM   #5
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollingsabre View Post
Hello all, im in the process of getting rid of my Type-R GT for a 123D M Sport. But i want to know about the extras as the local dealers 1 coupe is pretty sparse inside. Here are my questions,
-Are the Xenon headlights worth it, will i notice a great difference?
-Has anyone installed the Hi-Fi loudspeaker system
and finally
-the sun protection glass they state is that just basically tinted windows at the rear?

Hope you can help, plus tell others about your options!

Xenons - as stated above, you will not get the Angel Eyes, so it's a must. Not only that, standard BMW headlights are very poor IMO, the Xenon's are much better

HiFi - vast improvement over the stock setup - but don't setup an ipod with the FM connection or you will not get the benefit IMO

Sun protection glass - a must on the 1er IMO, massively improves the look, but is 'just' another word for tinted windows!

Other must have options mmmm well the ones above are the key ones which I have ordered. I would also suggest the USB connection if you want a good ipod link.

Please also remember that if you go for the HiFi option you have to order the Professional stereo and if you go for Xenon's you have to order the Headlight Washers.

Other nice options:

Elec seats - but £890 is ridiculous - should have been std on the 135!!!

Headed seats - my car lives in a garage so not really required, but if your car gets covered in ice over the winter months it's a nice option and cheap at £210.

Sunroof - I am going to miss the open roof driving, but again this option was to pricey at £800.

Cruise - Many like it, I really don't care for it too much, as our roads are too crowded to get any real benefit - great on hire cars in the US though. We have it on our 335d and it can be good in SPECS areas.

Bluetooth - Great option, but I thought very expensive at £535. As below I found another option!

Others
IDrive - got this on our 335d and I HATE IT - most clunky awkward thing I have ever used - opted for the best Garmin 770 instead which comes with Bluetooth and and Euro / US maps so good for my US holidays.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 06:40 AM   #6
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

I think £710 for the Pro HiFi (plus £145 Pro stereo) is pretty cheap to be honest.

In my S2000 I spent the following:

£250 headunit (Alpine 9850Ri)
£150 2 x front speakers (Genesis)
£200 2 Channel amp (Genesis)
£110 Powered sub (Alpine)
£60 Adapter for steering wheel controls
£300 Fitting

Total - £1070

and that does not include the other rear speakers that would need to be replaced in the 135i.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
Graemeb
Rep
Drives:

I've gone for the following:-

Xenons
Mirror Pack
Sun Protection Glass
Hi-Fi
Graduated Windscreen

Decided against the leathers as in the past I've found that leather seats make my suits go shiny! (That said this was Focus ST leather, not the better quality 1er variety)... Also I found that the leathers on my ST started to look a bit tired 40k miles in. (And the cloth/sensatec looks pretty cool and sporty as it is i.m.h.o)....
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #8
taylor82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graemeb View Post
I've gone for the following:-

Xenons
Mirror Pack
Sun Protection Glass
Hi-Fi
Graduated Windscreen

Decided against the leathers as in the past I've found that leather seats make my suits go shiny! (That said this was Focus ST leather, not the better quality 1er variety)... Also I found that the leathers on my ST started to look a bit tired 40k miles in. (And the cloth/sensatec looks pretty cool and sporty as it is i.m.h.o)....
Sounds good,

what colours are you going for? I must have gone through the whole range of colour before deciding on black with terra...then at the last possible chance changed to lemon :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
Graemeb
Rep
Drives:

I'm going for the Sed Red with Sensatec. The Black looks stunning, would have been my choice if I thought I could bother my arse to keep it looking so good in the winter! I've seen Black with Terra and Black with Coral, but never with Lemon, should look awesome though!...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 05:29 PM   #10
taylor82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graemeb View Post
I'm going for the Sed Red with Sensatec. The Black looks stunning, would have been my choice if I thought I could bother my arse to keep it looking so good in the winter! I've seen Black with Terra and Black with Coral, but never with Lemon, should look awesome though!...
I'll post pictures in 5 days!

Saw sedona on a ramp outfront of the dealership, looks way better than the motorshow pics IRL. There's some really cool pics posted in the uk section of this forum which nearly turned me!

When are you expecting delivery?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #11
taylor82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Also how do you feel the 123d compares to your ST, I only got about a 15 minuite test drive but could definately feel the power compared to my 320ci
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #12
Graemeb
Rep
Drives:

123d is in a different class, the ST I had was the old ST170 so not only does the 1er have more class and torque, it's got more headline power too..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 10:19 AM   #13
nerih
Rep
Drives:

i have xenons - well worth it at night, better than the halogen equivalents, heard the logic 7 and hifi but was not really impressed so left it standard. I also chose the rear tinted glass - this makes the whole car alot darker, and casual passer bys cannot see any valuables you may have left at the back by mistake and during the summer months your leather is better protected

really the rear tints are a styling issue i doubt they make a substantial difference - i chose them becuase they look nice hehe.
Appreciate 0