BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

Summit Point Deer

Watch for deer. This past weekend I scored my second hit without a confimed kill.

I was in excess of 100 between 9 and 10 when the critter decided there was more grass on the other side of the track. Took out her legs with the bumper and she hit the hood creating a big sitz mark. and according to observers went 10 feet in the air over the roof of car, before landing on her side in the middle of the track. She hopped up and made her way to the woods on three legs. I was abeam pit entrance and entered. Fortunately the only damage is a crumpled hood (most of it popped out) and a slightly flat spotted R888.

The deer population at SPR is apalling. Statistically, it shows that any single day we put 100 cars on the track, we should hit two deer. If we take a deeper look at the statistics we would probably find a higher probability during certain seasons. We could almost completely eleminate the lower run groups, slower speeds and two sets of eyes probably help.

Consider that some of the tracks I frequent are also in rural areas with large deer populations. Mid Ohio, Watkins Glen, and VIR. Since 2004 I have been a Chief Instructor or DE Chair and have not had a deer related incident at another track. Even the Shenandoah Circuit is better, probably because there is no infield. The deer at Summit are also particularly ignorant and have established crossing zones in all the fastest sections. End of the main straight, before the braking zone, (a lesser crossing zone between 2 & 3); between 3&4 and down the chute; between 9 & 10 just after the bridge (blind and fast). They don't cross between 5 & 9.

Turkeys are also very popular this time of year and there were many sightings between 2 & 3 (track right).

I just went on our site to collect some more data, of course it is somewhat selective; because I only selected drivers with confirmed kills. Confirmed kills equal big dollar repairs. One with two kills and 53 days at SPR; the other with one kill in 35 days. Both are also upper run group drivers.

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

More and more tracks are adding deer fencing, and tunnels under the tracks. Seems like Summit Point should have been thinking about that already. With harnesses on, you don't even have a chance to lay down, if one is coming thru the windshield.

Either that, or have special variances to thin the population... It's not like the deer are endangered.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
FreeBMW.net
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

A friend of mine died when she hit a deer in northern Michigan....she was in a Neon and the deer came right up the hood and the front hoof impalled her and punctured her lung....she never made it out of the car alive.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 08:34 AM   #4
ersatzS2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

A karter was killed when he hit a deer at Summit three years ago. I'm not sure why they can't control the problem.
      05-20-2008, 08:53 AM   #5
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatzS2 View Post
A karter was killed when he hit a deer at Summit three years ago. I'm not sure why they can't control the problem.
Simple answer.

Because the culling and/or rerouting of the deer heard would bring on the wrath of the animal-lover-crowd to the point where it would be unbearable to the owners/management of the facility.

Those folks would rather Bambi live than us.

Bambi LOL, been a while since I have seen this.

Same promblem with kangaroos in Australia. These vermin are overrunning the place and yet we cannot take appropriate action.

These critters are basically rats, big rats, but rats none-the-less. But because they are large and have big-eyes it's seems necessary to treat them differently.

I AM NOT SAYING WE SHOULD BE CRUEL TO ANIMALS. But I am saying that when it's a choice between them or us, we win, case closed.
Appreciate 0