BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
coolguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Dinan software update

I had a long chat with dinan rep today regarding the software update to address the torque lag at low rpm. The good news is it is going to be addressed and the updated software is going to be released by this month end and we can get it from the dealers by the first week of may. Heard every month 10th, the dealers get a new flash card from Dinan which has the updated software. so it shud be there by 10th of May with the dealers. Also it seems Dinan will pay for the technician too for the updates for existing users. But I want to wait till they get the updated software and then try it on.

The bad news is our 1er 'll be a rock-n-roll after that:roundel:
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

thanks for the update!

i'm loving the Dinan tune as it is but will probably go ahead with the update.

just to pick a small nit, i really don't consider the problem to be lag. i think a better way to describe it is throttle responsiveness. i.e. there's no delay between throttle displacement and engine acceleration ... it's just not as sensitive. okay off my soap-box. cheers!
      04-02-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the info!

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
I had a long chat with dinan rep today regarding the software update to address the torque lag at low rpm. The good news is it is going to be addressed and the updated software is going to be released by this month end and we can get it from the dealers by the first week of may. Heard every month 10th, the dealers get a new flash card from Dinan which has the updated software. so it shud be there by 10th of May with the dealers. Also it seems Dinan will pay for the technician too for the updates for existing users. But I want to wait till they get the updated software and then try it on.

The bad news is our 1er 'll be a rock-n-roll after that:roundel:
Thank you (again ). Wasn't this already discussed in a previous thread? Additionally, we have already established that the proper term is not torque lag, but "throttle response". There is a big difference in the two.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
UR2SLOW1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Only drove my new 135i about 200 miles since I picked her up yesterday but I can't imagine this car with more power, this car is absolutely fantastic !! I guess I'll just wait till I can test drive a 135i with the tune to make my decision about the Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
Powerman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

What I really wanted to know is how does the update or the reflash affect heel-toe? Is it easier to blip the throttle with the reflash, or with the stock arrangement? Does anyone have any input as to how the update will effect this?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerman View Post
What I really wanted to know is how does the update or the reflash affect heel-toe? Is it easier to blip the throttle with the reflash, or with the stock arrangement? Does anyone have any input as to how the update will effect this?

Your not going to be heel-toeing at 1,600rpms, so I highly doubt the newer throttle map coming from Dinan will matter in that instance. They are basically making the gas pedal more sensitive at lower rpms.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #8
imported_saturn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelk View Post
thanks for the update!

i'm loving the Dinan tune as it is but will probably go ahead with the update.

just to pick a small nit, i really don't consider the problem to be lag. i think a better way to describe it is throttle responsiveness. i.e. there's no delay between throttle displacement and engine acceleration ... it's just not as sensitive. okay off my soap-box. cheers!
If you do get the update it'll be useful to hear what you think about both setups.

You have a MT right? It would be good to hear how the update affects the AT too.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #9
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn View Post
If you do get the update it'll be useful to hear what you think about both setups.

You have a MT right? It would be good to hear how the update affects the AT too.
yeah I have MT and I'll be sure to report back if and when it occurs.
      04-02-2008, 09:41 PM   #10
F0Bman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Good work man! Any updates on the ACS chip upgrade?
2002 Corolla CE Daily Driver

www.TheTunerSource.com
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 09:55 AM   #11
pltek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

wow i can post.

1999 for a flash, thats crazy
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #12
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by pltek View Post
wow i can post.

1999 for a flash, thats crazy
Your paying for the research, warranty and proven reilabilty that Dinan products have given for years... Oh and a mere 84 extra hp.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #13
pltek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

look, its a reflash, they have been tuning bmws for years, its not like they have to reinvent the wheel each time new bmw model comes out. i know that dinan reflash will not void your warranty, thats nice, but what else?

I road tune my own evo now for 0USD, and i have 100+HP; i dont belive that evo world has a company that offers reflashes that do not void warranty, maybe i just dont understand that concept well enough

IMO, a reasonable price for a flash, even for BMW, should not be more than 400-500USD, especially when its a mail-in or e-tune type of flash

but if you want to pay 2000USD, please be my guest

just an opinion, like yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja325ci View Post
Your paying for the research, warranty and proven reilabilty that Dinan products have given for years... Oh and a mere 84 extra hp.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 01:29 PM   #14
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

Quote:
dude, its a reflash, they have been tuning bmws for years, its not like they have to reinvent the wheel each time new bmw model comes out.

I road tune my own evo now for 0USD, and i have 100+HP, and have paid for dyno tuning, but,..

a reasonable price for a flash, even for BMW, should not be more than 400-500USD, especially when its a mail-in or e-tune type of flash

but if you want to pay 2000USD, please be my guest

just an opinion, like yours.
the ability to flash the ECU and gain 84HP and 121tq's is something that is very new to BMW's, the ability to see these gains and retain your full warranty coverage is something that is fairly unique to these new turbo BMW's as well. People have been paying thousands of dollars for aftermarket BMW tuning parts for years that yield little to no gain, there is an exhaust system for the E46 M3 that costs $6000 and will get you maybe 2-5HP on the dyno.

Is Dianan's price hight? Yes, of course it is, all Dinan stuff is a ripoff, especially their N/A tuning. With this product they have their biggest winner ever IMO, the power yields and the warranty coverage will more than justify the price for many BMW owners.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #15
Powerman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Dust View Post
the ability to flash the ECU and gain 84HP and 121tq's is something that is very new to BMW's, the ability to see these gains and retain your full warranty coverage is something that is fairly unique to these new turbo BMW's as well. People have been paying thousands of dollars for aftermarket BMW tuning parts for years that yield little to no gain, there is an exhaust system for the E46 M3 that costs $6000 and will get you maybe 2-5HP on the dyno.

Is Dianan's price hight? Yes, of course it is, all Dinan stuff is a ripoff, especially their N/A tuning. With this product they have their biggest winner ever IMO, the power yields and the warranty coverage will more than justify the price for many BMW owners.
Exactly. I don't want an NA engine at my altitude. All mods are a waste of money. I can go stage 2 on my LGT. Thats a piggy back and a TBE for $2K. I doesn't give me as much as the Dinan reflash and Subaru is not going to cover any problems I might have. Nor will I maintain anything close to resembling a lag free turbo system.

Is Dinan more expensive than others? Yes. Is paying $2K worth the added power and peace of mind? Are you frickin kidding me? In the grand scheme of things, absolutely!

EDIT: Actually, I thought this was the other thread. I would still like to know what anyone thinks about this upgrade and rev matching. Which Dinan version will actually be best for hell/toe.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #16
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I road tune my own evo now for 0USD, and i have 100+HP; i dont belive that evo world has a company that offers reflashes that do not void warranty, maybe i just dont understand that concept well enough

IMO, a reasonable price for a flash, even for BMW, should not be more than 400-500USD, especially when its a mail-in or e-tune type of flash

BMW's ECU are encrypted! Not by one, but two methods. Only tuners with considerable resources to pay the licensing fee have access to the ECU. Some might try and crack it, but good luck with that. lol!

These are the only actual tunes, period!

Everything else is a piggyback that intercepts, but can only do so on a small portion of the EC functions. That is not to say there are not some great piggies out there (Active Autowerks and Helix), but it will cost a few hundred bucks more to have an ECU flash.

Now add a measly $600 or so for the Dinan warranty and you can see the value in a $1999 flash. If that is too much for you to bite-off, consider holding out for a few months, I am sure Jim Conforti will be releasing the Shark Injector this summer for the N54. My guess is that his ECU reflash will be about $900+.

So, because you could tune your last vehicle or buy a flash for it cheaply, doesn't mean those prices equate to BMW engines. That is reserved for privileged and renown tuners!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #17
pltek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

until now, with few exceptions, all of their cars in US have been naturally aspirated, and they cant really be tuned for squat, so its "new" because bmw is finally putting forced induction systems on their cars,

i really would like to know the details (base line dyno as well as the runs after reflash overlayed) as to how they got these#s, not that i am doubting their validity but i know that for example, that when the the 335s came out, they were dynoing well above 300HP stock and if thats the case with 1 series, the numbers you got by subtracting, would decrease.

i hope that i dont come off as ingorant, rather want to talk facts and educated theories so that everyone here can learn and make the best decisions as to how they will modify their car, whether power, suspension, barking, whatever,

anywho, enjoy your 1s, i will be deciding whether to go with EVOX or 135 or perhaps new A4, in the coming months

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Dust View Post

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #18
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Well, considering that they are pretty much the only flash available at this point... Turner advertises a reflash, but nobody has it, there aren't any reviews for it, we don't know who makes it, and finally the price is still very high but without any warranty.

Once Jim Conforti's Shark Injector comes out (DYI flash via the OBD port) at a reasonable price, the pricing landscape could change.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #19
pltek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

vishnu has something but i believe its piggyback, i wouldnt do one

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Well, considering that they are pretty much the only flash available at this point... Turner advertises a reflash, but nobody has it, there aren't any reviews for it, we don't know who makes it, and finally the price is still very high but without any warranty.

Once Jim Conforti's Shark Injector comes out (DYI flash via the OBD port) at a reasonable price, the pricing landscape could change.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 03:01 PM   #20
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
vishnu has something but i believe its piggyback, i wouldnt do one
Vishnu, Active Autowerke, Helix, Split Second, BurgerMotorsports and perhaps others have piggybacks. Dinan is the only reflash in the US that has a following and no unanswered questions.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 03:03 PM   #21
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

ESS has a software reflash as well, it will be available soon, or eventually.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #22
Doolab
Private
Rep
Drives: '96 Maxima SE 5MT, '04 MB E500

Can anyone confirm whether or not the Dinan reflash removes the car's speed limiter?
Appreciate 0