BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-25-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
Bye Bye GTI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Audio info if you are thinking about going aftermarket

I have been doing lots of digging to find out details on the different audio systems offered and want to share it as I have learned alot from reading on this board.

Here is a link that appears to show all the details of both audio systems. It is listed for the hatch, but after seeing the audio details officially released for the coupe - they appear to be the same.

http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6354

Hi-FI system = standard CDN system
Top Hi-FI = logic 7 upgrade

Another thing to note is that if you are looking to upgrade your system with an additional sub or more powerful amp - you want to get the base audio system. The reason is that the Logic 7 system has a digital output from the head unit that does not allow you to easily connect to an amp. The standard system speaker outputs are "line level" and you can easily connect them to a good quality amp.

The logic 7 amp also has internal crossovers that limits the frequencies on the various output channels. You will need to connect some other audio equipment (ie JL audio cleansweep) to have a full range of sound if you want to go after market.

If you are going to add a sub to the back you will want to order the ski bag (which i didn't) as BMW has done a great job isolating the sound vibrations in the trunk. I have read that if you remove the ski bag cartridge it allows room for the waves to transfer to the cabin which creates bass. Some other options appear to be to get a bigger amp or to remove the rear fill speakers to allow the air to move into the cabin. Will have to wait till I get the car to find out the best solution.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

BB GTI - nice writeup and that affirms the thinking that a number of other people have posited regarding audio upgrades. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 01:45 AM   #3
Hypnoz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the info!

Removing the rear speakers is usually always the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Hey thanks!

That link re-affirms what I have been suggesting. I will not be ordering the Logic7 HU in my 135i. I will spend the $800 on a cleaner and slightly more powerful Amp. Most likely the new Baupunkt series. Nothing crazy, just clean 6x100w.

Btw, if you wanted slightly more punch. Wouldn't a more sophisticated sub-woofer that hit lower hz and cleaner (in stock position), be better than installing anything in your trunk that, by nature is distorted and LOUDER?

20 more watts into a high quality aftermarket 8" sub will almost add TWICE as much punch as the stock subs. It will be cleaner and tighter and the trunk won't be rattling. :iono:
Appreciate 0