BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Cheap, but not so chearful! Admiral Multicar policy holders beware

Got an Admiral Multicar policy with my missies and I have just read the policy doc fully. Came to the bit about endorsements (no nothing about points or speeding here). I was amazed to see the wording:

Standard parts replacement

You’re kidding, I thought, with close to £6000 of options on my 135i that surely can't be right! Wrong again. Apparently Admiral will not cover these optional BMW factory fitted options. So if I have an accident and damage a xenon lamp unit, they'll only pay for a halogen bulb. If my tinted windows get smashed, I'll only get clear glass replacement. If a folding mirror gets vandalised - you guessed it, I'll have one that folds and one that doesn't. If the lovely Boston leather gets damaged I only get the cloth replacement. Crazy, I know.

I don’t usually rant on like this but I'm pissed off. Can anyone tell me if this sort of thing is typical across the insurance market? I've had problems before with previous cars like my Impreza STi while getting cover for the PPP chip/exhaust upgrade, but not with manufacturer fitted options that, I guess, the majority of BMW owners will have fitted to/in their cars.

I'll be changing my insurance company in the very near future. Any comments would be welcome.

Even Madder Chemist
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
Nutkins
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Hmm - I've had plenty of the annoying things you've mentioned happen to me, such as door mirrors being smashed off etc, but to be honest I've always bitten the bullet and paid myself to keep my no-claims safe. Even if you protect it you still have to declare claims at renewal time, so I'm sure they'll put it up regardless. I know most only pay market value for theft, so maybe this is an extenstion of that.

But if you make a claim for whatever damage - surely they'll pay what's on the invoice minus any excess? Maybe I'm wrong though. Perhaps have a read of some other companies terms and conditions. Insurance companies will do anything to save money and perhaps it's a standard thing?...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I guess your right Nutkins, I'll have to do some homework before I finally decide to change insurance company. I'll let you know how I get on.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
Nutkins
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad chemist View Post
I guess your right Nutkins, I'll have to do some homework before I finally decide to change insurance company. I'll let you know how I get on.
Good luck Chem - at least for some reason the 1'er doesn't seem too extreme to insure in terms of actual premium, considering the performance (quoted less than for my MKV Golf GTI)... Some small consolation when they're bending us over the rest of the time
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Vidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

i was very surprised by the cost of my insurance, i was thinking about replacing my MINI Cooper with a Cooper S, cheapest quote £1500 utterly insane (i am 24 with only 1 year no claimes), then i started looking at a 123d thinking that insurance would be totally counter productive, quote for a car with 35BHP more, worth £10K more, with BMW badges on it, and rear wheel drive £840! where is the logic in that! i hate insurance companies, they are a law unto themselves.
      03-10-2008, 09:10 PM   #6
Russo
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Dodge Dakota Big Horn

here in the colonies, that type of debate was spoken about because some insurance companies don't require replacement parts to be factory... specifically speaking about automotive glass... many customers were up in arms because their insurance company was "steering" them to use "certified" glass shops, when the true intensions were to put aftermarket glass in the vehicle, at a cheaper cost to the insurance company... and if you wanted OE approved parts, you'd have to pay more than just your deductible...

BLUEFAKES.COM ARE SCAMMERS, LIERS, AND CHEATERS! DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 05:58 AM   #7
UK135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I know when i got my insurance sorted for my 135i i was delighted with the premium - very suprised. BUT i must read the small print you have just mentioned MadChemist as that would make thinks alot more expensive if something happened to the car. On my actual insurance document they have mentioned some of my options i dont know if that makes a difference helps them being covered if something happens.

Also i dont know about you guys but where they get you and my insurance company admitted this is that because it is a sporty car the 135i has an excess of £500 but then this was the same with my RS (last car) so to be honest it did not make a difference to me

What are your guys excess if you dont mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 06:54 AM   #8
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

£500 excess is very steep IMO, and tends to be reserved for younger drivers.

I am 32 and got a quote for a Z4M Coupe (6 months old with 2k miles with a value of £34k), it came to £850 with a £250 excess, hire car, £50 windscreen cover etc.

It pays to shop around, and the cheapest isn't always the best. Direct Line has always been a favourite of mine.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 08:30 AM   #9
Vidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I am with directline, i am 24 and so my excess is 350, and 50 for a screen, if i recall. i agree with you moff, Direct line has always impressed me, by offering good cover and at a very good price, (unless you are 24 with only one years no claimes and want insurance on a Cooper S, in that case they simply say NO!) but as a result i was "forced" (didnt really take much of a push, just had to find more money) to buy the 1 instead. what a pain!:headbang:
      03-11-2008, 11:22 AM   #10
UK135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

direct line are very good i agree. I have £250 compulsary excess and 250 volentary excess....i would look in the small print i think you might be suprised to find that, but maybe not. i have at the moment 5+ years no years claim bonus
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 03:01 PM   #11
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Insurance excess details - Admiral Multicar policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK135i View Post
direct line are very good i agree. I have £250 compulsary excess and 250 volentary excess....i would look in the small print i think you might be suprised to find that, but maybe not. i have at the moment 5+ years no years claim bonus
My excess with these people is £250 compulsory & £150 voluntary for an accident claim & only £150 for a fire or theft claim.

Incidentally Admiral doesn’t give New-4-Old cover for the first year. Many insurance companies do!! This is not a problem for me as I took out additional 3 yrs retail protection insurance that pays the difference from the market value and what I paid for the vehicle (but this may still be less the £5000 in options I have spent!).

My windscreen excess is £70, which seems a bit steep too.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #12
UK135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

very interesting...i would call direct line mad chemist
Appreciate 0