BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

03-06-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
mtw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Class Action Lawsuit?

I was just browsing Wikipedia and found this on the BMW page:

---

Class Action Suit Filed in Canada

NOTE: Recently BMW has become concerned with the rising number of their vehicles being imported from the United States into Canada and with the cooperation of the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (a private contractor to the federal Government of Canada) has placed impediments to the importation of new and used BMW vehicles into Canada.

All BMW dealers in the United States and Canada are now forbidden from printing vehicle history reports that list warrantee work that has been performed as well as the status of any safety recalls and supplying this document to the legal owners of the vehicles. Owners of BMW vehicles are considered to be a "third party" to information regarding the safety of BMW products. BMW now requires owners importing motorcycles into Canada to pay a fee of $500 (CDN) for a letter advising the Registrar of Imported Vehicles that there are no outstanding recalls on that vehicle.

A class action suit was filed in Ontario Superior Court on Feb. 26, 2008 against BMW Group Canada, Transport Canada (acting through the Registrar of Imported Vehicles) and the Canada Border Services Agency and others related to recent importation matters. Another class action originating on the west coast is expected to be filed as well. While it is mainly car owners who are affected, BMW motorcycle owners are included.

It is alleged that the named respondents have conspired to prevent or lessen competition and have imposed exorbitant fees and unnecessary vehicle modifications at usurious prices to place impediments on the importation of BMW vehicles into Canada as well as to artificially inflate Canadian prices.

---

Anyone heard of this before or think it'll do anything for those of us who might like to import from the USA some day?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 11:09 PM   #2
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

:reposthorse:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4747
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

God, how long have I been waiting to do that.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 02:40 AM   #4
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

^^^

hahah.. Ya, we'll see what good it does... I can bet there's a lot of politics going on!
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread