BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #1
BMWnoob
Rep
Drives:

First I-Drive Experience, How do you do it???

So I did the Komen drive last Friday and while my gf was driving the X5 I attempted to use the I-Drive system. I've heard/read horror stories of this system and now I understand why. Now I consider myself failry computer savvy, and don't usually read the instructions when I get a new electronic device, I just figure it out so to speak.

However it took me about 15 minutes to change the radio station, and about another 20 minutes to figure out how to turn the bass/treble up/down. In the entire drive thats about all I could figure out and decided that I would never have that system in my car.

For those that have it in their car is it just a learning curve or is it just a PITA all the time? And how did it take to get used to it and do you like it now?
      03-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I have iDrive now, and I pretty much had it mastered in a few days. It took a bit loonger to learn all the voice commands, and I'm not sure I know anywhere neart the full list of them.

I design software for a living, so even though I would have done things quite a bit differently, even functionality that's not the best is learnable easily.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

My mum (60 y/o) has a 645i with I-Drive and now she never listens to music... its not easy for us fairly computer savvy people and near impossible for those of us with aging parents...

I have never had it but everyone says you get the hang of it... the more important question is, is it any better? Looks wise yea but functionality and driving focus, its not...

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I design software for a living, so even though I would have done things quite a bit differently, even functionality that's not the best is learnable easily.
I do too, and love stuff with a bit of a learning curve as you can get some much more functionality out of a design if you require a few minutes of self-training before it becomes second nature (i.e. keyboard shortcuts are almost always better but you have to learn them)

BTW, what do you design? I do mostly enterprise Java
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
imported_Ryan
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Cab, 94 318 Cab

Well you may need someone to show you the basics first. Not everyone realizes you have to push down on the wheel to select (for example). In 5 minutes I was adjusting the backrest / seat relative heating, linking up a bluetooth phone, and transferring the address book. Scanning for new radio stations when you're out of range of your presets does take some doing.
Mind you I am in IT but I'm sure they haven't sold all their iDrive cars to IT managers.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
BMWnoob
Rep
Drives:

Guess I just needed more time to play with it, just seemed like it would take a very long time to master. Also it didn't seem like something that could be operated (at least not at first) while driving since I was having to stare at the screen the entire time.
      03-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

You get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 12:39 AM   #8
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

idrive is easy to use, don't listen to the critics.

But getting idrive software updates, now that is a pain in the ass.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 02:25 AM   #9
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

Just spend 20 minutes with the manual going through every option and mode of operation. Don't blame BMW for your reluctance to take the time to learn something new If it took you 35 minutes to change station, bass and treble, you're not as computer savvy as you think (Just kidding!). Seriously though, there are only 8 things you can do (turn left, turn right, push in one of four directions and push down, press the seperate button), so even if you tried every combo it shouldn't too long to figure it out.

One big tip is holding the controller in one direction to jump direct to the last feature you were using, not the menu. For instance, if you're in navigation and then go somewhere else in the menu, if you then push and HOLD the controller to the right you'll jump straight back to the navigation map, not the navi menu....
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 10:15 AM   #10
Fast Kiwi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Si Z4R & Si X3

I hear this kind of thing daily and its kinda sad really..

Partly i blame the consumer for just grabing the keys and saying, ill figure it out and then getting crushed when they realise its not as simple as a light switch. But mostly i blame C.A's.. The system really is VERY simple, but it needs to be explained correctly (to most) It would be like using a home computer for the first time ever all by your self.. You would be lost in seconds.. But instead, its second nature to most all of us now days..

Explained correctly and with some time, it is a VERY usfull and VERY simple system. (disclamer: i understand the first i-drive systems in like the 2002 7 series did suck some what for "ease of use")
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 01:51 PM   #11
BMWnoob
Rep
Drives:

Sounds like I just need some more time with it and sit down and read the instructions... I obviously didn't take the time to read them because it was just a short amount of time in the car on the Komen drive. I just thought it would be a little more intuitive than it was, I will say it was nice not to have 4,500 buttons on the dash like some other cars with sat radio, sat nav, cd/mp3 changer and climate control.
      03-04-2008, 02:51 PM   #12
Fast Kiwi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Si Z4R & Si X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWnoob View Post
Sounds like I just need some more time with it and sit down and read the instructions... I obviously didn't take the time to read them because it was just a short amount of time in the car on the Komen drive. I just thought it would be a little more intuitive than it was, I will say it was nice not to have 4,500 buttons on the dash like some other cars with sat radio, sat nav, cd/mp3 changer and climate control.

Thats the idea.. less buttons..

Think of it like this.. you got you're main menu.. when you select an option, the very top is the main topic options, then below that is the sub menu within those options and beneth that is the final selection in detail..

where you see orange is where you are, you can scroll around and select things by pushing the i-drive button down. (Kinda like the left button on the mouse on you're home computer) that'll give you some thing to work with.. GD luck!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #13
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickone View Post
idrive is easy to use, don't listen to the critics.

But getting idrive software updates, now that is a pain in the ass.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 03:57 AM   #14
imported_Dodgy
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SG 135i 6M

I will sound like a knob, but here goes.

Sat in my mate's X5 a few weeks ago. First exposure to iDrive. Didn't try all the functions, but managed to setup the navigation to go from point A to point B with only a bit of trial and error.

Can't believe that after a quick read of the book, most people would be able to use it very effectively.

Trouble now days is we expect everything to work for us, without taking the time to learn about it first. Most of us have new fanged mobiles that have amazing functions, but most just dial and text, because they can't be fagged reading a manual.

Don't can a system as being unuseable if you haven't made the effort to learn to use it. If after learning, it's still hard, THEN the system is crap.
      03-05-2008, 04:16 AM   #15
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast kiwi View Post
Thats the idea.. less buttons..

Think of it like this.. you got you're main menu.. when you select an option, the very top is the main topic options, then below that is the sub menu within those options and beneth that is the final selection in detail..

where you see orange is where you are, you can scroll around and select things by pushing the i-drive button down. (Kinda like the left button on the mouse on you're home computer) that'll give you some thing to work with.. GD luck!!!
Well said. I totally agree with your previous comments too.

The system is excellent and I hope BMW sticks to the minimalist approach to the interface. I dread the day they add a myriad of buttons around the iDrive controller to make it 'easier'.

Once the user understands the structure of the menus and the pages (as you have nicely described) it is very easy to understand. To move across to a different 'section' of the screen, you move the controller across (up/down/left/right). To select something, press the controller. To adjust something (menu, setting, lists, etc) twist the controller... Easy!!

Cheers,

Paul
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 04:23 PM   #16
GatoGrande
Gato Grande
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 3.0 SI

Garage List
2008 BMW X5  [0.00]
I will be interested in comparing the 1's iDrive with my current Audi A6 version. I found that fairly easy to adapt to. But, the SA did spend the time to help me understand how to use it. My BMW SA will be doing the same - so I suspect after the intro I can compare and contrast the 2 systems. I am sure I will be happy though because not much will spoil my excitement about this wonderful German driving machine - I am convinced its a masterpiece!

Appreciate 0