BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
GeorgeJ.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3 rex

iPhone function with iDrive/Nav

I read through the thread 'iphone for the 1' and I agree with much of the praise however nobody discusses how the iPhone will function with the iDrive/Nav system in the 1 series. Does anyone know if the system will display contacts in the phone, playlists as well as song being played, etc.

I've seen photos with the iPhone being tucked into the pouch under the armrest, which looks slick, but if you can't access contacts, etc with it in there then it is fairly useless. Currently I use the iPhone (via bluetooth) in my '06 330i. I have several numbers programed for voice dialing and if not I just take the phone and pull up the number from my contacts. It is simple and works well. If the iDrive in the 1 series enhances this I'd go for it, otherwise I will use it mostly as I do now. Thanks for any new insights. - George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
PaulUK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

sorry but i dont think you can see those images on the idrive connected with the iphone
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

The iPhone works like any other bluetooth-enabled phone with the iDrive & bluetooth options. Your phone contacts will be available through the normal iDrive communication interface, which looks like this (courtesy of nitramluap):

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
GeorgeJ.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3 rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracka View Post
The iPhone works like any other bluetooth-enabled phone with the iDrive & bluetooth options. Your phone contacts will be available through the normal iDrive communication interface, which looks like this (courtesy of nitramluap):

Thanks, I fooled around with the number selection on my car (no iDrive) and it is very clumsy. I'd think they would try to have a cool interface. I am thinking it is not worth it. George

PS - The iPhone image above was just something I lifted from some posting elsewhere on the web. The calculator button would indicate iPhone version 1.1.1 (old stuff).
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
aklein11
Private
Rep
Drives:

Question about iDrive - Lets say that you are en route towards a destination that has been programmed in the nav. If you want to scroll through your iPod playlists, does the map / directions disappear until you have made your song selection, or does the screen split in half? In other words, does it still give you directions if you are using it for other things? I hope this makes sense.

Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

The iDrive on the 1er does not do dual function, like on the 3, 5, 6, 7 series. It's a narrower screen that can only display one function at a time. However, voice prompting will still tell you of an upcoming direction change. Voice prompting also occurs when you are talking on the phone, plus you can change the menu to display the map again, once you dial.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
aklein11
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
The iDrive on the 1er does not do dual function, like on the 3, 5, 6, 7 series. It's a narrower screen that can only display one function at a time. However, voice prompting will still tell you of an upcoming direction change.
Thanks for the quick response - So, if I am driving, I just select the song I want and then flip back to the pic of the map? And the route is not interrupted or canceled during the process?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #8
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Correct
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #9
aklein11
Private
Rep
Drives:

Thanks again - makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 01:41 AM   #10
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
The iDrive on the 1er does not do dual function, like on the 3, 5, 6, 7 series. It's a narrower screen that can only display one function at a time. However, voice prompting will still tell you of an upcoming direction change. Voice prompting also occurs when you are talking on the phone, plus you can change the menu to display the map again, once you dial.
Not strictly true, but I know what you're saying.

It can display both arrows and the map at the same time (if you have the Professional Navigation, as opposed to the Business Navigation) in a split screen format, but the screen does not have the 'Assistance Window' that the cars with the 8" screens have.

If you are on any other screen and you have a navigation instruction due, it will both speak (if not muted) and will show a full screen arrow view for the next turn. This arrow display can be closed just by hitting the 'back' button with the controller, which is highlighted by default.

After the turn is made, the screen will return to whatever you were viewing as well.

If you are navigating, you can be viewing any screen (or even have the screen closed) and it will still give you instructions.

Cheers,

Paul
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 09:46 PM   #11
aklein11
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitramluap View Post
Not strictly true, but I know what you're saying.

It can display both arrows and the map at the same time (if you have the Professional Navigation, as opposed to the Business Navigation) in a split screen format, but the screen does not have the 'Assistance Window' that the cars with the 8" screens have.

If you are on any other screen and you have a navigation instruction due, it will both speak (if not muted) and will show a full screen arrow view for the next turn. This arrow display can be closed just by hitting the 'back' button with the controller, which is highlighted by default.

After the turn is made, the screen will return to whatever you were viewing as well.

If you are navigating, you can be viewing any screen (or even have the screen closed) and it will still give you instructions.

Cheers,

Paul
This was very helpful as well, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 11:23 PM   #12
Disasterpiece
I Want 1
Rep
Drives:

I also have a iPhone and am intrested to see how the iDrive will work with it.
Can someone who is getting their car soon post a quik run through video that would be great! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 01:04 AM   #13
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

if you have an iphone hooked in to idrive through the 6FL, can you you make hands free calls without the bluetooth option?
      03-13-2008, 05:46 AM   #14
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomquickness View Post
if you have an iphone hooked in to idrive through the 6FL, can you you make hands free calls without the bluetooth option?
Highly doubtful.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #15
Ty Vil
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomquickness View Post
No.

To have phone functionality it requires the bluetooth option.

To have iPod functionality it requires the 6FL option.
Appreciate 0